PDA

View Full Version : Driveshaft sleeves

kilian tuning
November 27th, 2011, 10:53
During last mot inspection the front driveshaft sleeves were almost torn and need to be replaced.
Is it a DIY job or....... an Audi stealer one...? Is it expensive?

SzymekCRX
November 27th, 2011, 11:06
I'd go for DIY, as always :D

How did they find it torn ? Do You know how did they check it ?

kilian tuning
November 27th, 2011, 11:18
They turned the steering wheel full one side, and noticed the rubber on one place is almost ''leaking''...

SzymekCRX
November 27th, 2011, 11:27
This side ?

kilian tuning
November 27th, 2011, 11:36
im starting to doubt which side it was seeing your pic now...
is there much difference in replacing one of the two...

SzymekCRX
November 27th, 2011, 12:30
There's not much difference. I'd do it myself. You just have to have the tools... Remove the wheel bearing mount to get to the shaft itself. Do You know which AUDI parts are needed for the replacement ?

kilian tuning
November 27th, 2011, 15:35
There's not much difference. I'd do it myself. You just have to have the tools... Remove the wheel bearing mount to get to the shaft itself. Do You know which AUDI parts are needed for the replacement ?

No i dont know part numbers, dont know either if there are aftermarket ones with better quality..?
Is there a step by step guide somewhere which i can download?

SzymekCRX
November 27th, 2011, 22:26
No i dont know part numbers, dont know either if there are aftermarket ones with better quality..?
Is there a step by step guide somewhere which i can download?

Well, I don't know about any of those... Could You make some photos of areas these mechanics claimed to be 'broken'. I'd check if I could make a DIY then

hahnmgh63
November 27th, 2011, 23:49
You can find the Lobro or GKN kits on Ebay or possibly even from a local Auto parts stores. The kit has a new outer CV joint as well as a new boot. Assuming your car has a few miles I would replace the CV Joint at the same time you do the boot. The front outer CV Joints & Boots wear the most since the pivot with the steering as well as up & down with the suspension. A fairly easy DIY but a messy job with all of the grease.

kilian tuning
November 29th, 2011, 15:58
my car has just hit the 100.000 km...

kismetcapitan
November 29th, 2011, 17:00
again, I have to say: humans have invented extraordinary things. We've built spaceships. Technology is so advanced that even I never imagined as a child the things we have now would have existed in my lifetime. Current materials was practically the stuff of science fiction back then.

and yet: THEY CAN'T MAKE A FRONT RUBBER BOOT THAT WON'T CRACK??

kilian tuning
November 29th, 2011, 18:05
again, I have to say: humans have invented extraordinary things. We've built spaceships. Technology is so advanced that even I never imagined as a child the things we have now would have existed in my lifetime. Current materials was practically the stuff of science fiction back then.

and yet: THEY CAN'T MAKE A FRONT RUBBER BOOT THAT WON'T CRACK??

Yes youre right about that..incredible isnt it. And its not only for the cv boots either...:)

Bigglezworth
November 30th, 2011, 07:28
Straight forward DIY. A nominal 1-1.5hrs per side to replace outer joint/boot as long as your bolts don't sieze or snap.