PDA

View Full Version : APR Software Availability

JeremyAPR
October 14th, 2003, 23:23
I wanted to let you all know that our programming has been released for the RS6. Output is 525hp and 490lb.-ft. of torque on 93 octane fuel. Our tuning includes all EMCS options and a Tip. chip as well (this raises the shift point by 200 rpm). For the time being you will be required to send your ECU/TCU to us for modification. Please contact our dealers for assistance with your purchase. DPP for this application is still under development and will be released ASAP. I hope this info helps. Please contact me with any questions. Thanks.

JAXRS6
October 15th, 2003, 05:01
Originally posted by JeremyAPR
DPP for this application is still under development and will be released ASAP.

Hate to sound dumb, but what's "DPP"?

Also, I hope Jeremy or someone else will address my concerns about APR's RS6 program/chip boosting the Tiptronic shift points by 200 rpm. Some have said this will cause premature transmission wear.

Jeremy, I also hope you come up with a way for your distributors to install these. Removal and reinstallation of the ECU is not something I want to handle, no matter how easy it is supposed to be. I've been a contented APR customer through two Audi chips and 46K miles in part because professional installation was available within a day's drive or less. Any word on if/when you'll have distributor installations available?

nene
October 15th, 2003, 05:08
I suppose this is great news that APR is now an almost full blown RS6 tuner as well.
Numbers backed by dyno or logs from engine would be greatly appreciated as well.

One thing though!!! Do you guys sell separate ECUs with the chip installed? I want to keep my ECU stock, but would not mind getting a modded one. MTM does send their chip in it's own ECU box without needing my original box.

JeremyAPR
October 15th, 2003, 16:49
DPP is our DirectPort Programming method. Essentially, a means by which software is added without the need to add hardware to the ECU. This is done via the cars diagnostic port. For the time being this is not available for the RS6, though it is currently in the final stages of development. Our dealers will be able to provide ECU modification in the near future, though changes to the TCU may still require this unit being sent to us.

As for answers to the Tip questions I find it interesting that you base your concerns on statements of "claimed wear" by other tuners. Especially when some of these very tuners are looking to offer tip chips themselves in the very near future. If anything, our modification to the transmission will allow it to operate in a more effective manner. Quicker shifts means less slip and thus decreased wear to the torque converter. The addition of 200 RPM should have no effect on the life of the tranny. This product, like all of those that we provide, is meant to offer improved performance while maintaining the reliability and drivability of the vehicle.

For the time being we have no plans to offer spare ECU's. This due in part to issues of cloning the units. You should remember however that our programming allows for switching back to stock mode as needed. In fact with the purchase of our chip you will receive four of five available EMCS programming options (stock, 91 octane, 93 octane, valet, and 100 octane race) and two features (Fault Code Erase/Throttle Body Alignment and Security lock-out). Furthermore our programming is ecnrypted and thus not detectable to dealer diagnostic tools. Though we do our best to maintain your privacy in relation to mods we do not make any guarantee on your cars warranty.

I hope that this info helps. Please let me know if I may be of any further assistance. Thanks,

Erik
October 15th, 2003, 17:37
Jeremy, you should check these guys out.
Only in swedish I'm afraid but perhaps the pics can tell you something.

http://www.bsrab.se/bilder/aktuellt_magnus_ppc_stor.jpg

http://www.bsrab.se/se/index.html

oregonbob
October 15th, 2003, 17:57
Jeremy,

Can you explain Fault Code Erase/Throttle Body Alignment.

I think I understand what Fault Code Erase is but why do I care? Is this to keep the dealer from find fault codes (indicating a chipped car) during normal servicing?

I have no idea what Throttle Body Alignment means.

Thanks.

Bob

P.S. TWO dealers in Portland??? WOW! That's a lot for a relatively small market. There's only ONE Audi dealer in town. :-)

JeremyAPR
October 15th, 2003, 19:06
Fault Code Erase and Throttle Body Alignment are two features that we offer via EMCS. FCE allows you to clear any fault codes that should arrise, tatle-tale in nature or not. This can assist in eliviating your concerns of any codes indicating your modification, and is also useful for clearing codes like the dreaded gas-cap fault. Throttle Body Alignment is also a neat option, allowing you to reset the potentiometer in the throttle body (this replaced the throttle plate/wire actuator). The potentiometer can loose its zero, or optimum position, with use. If this happens you can see sporadic idle. TBA just allows you to reset the unit to optimum. I hope this explanation helps. Thanks.

nene
October 15th, 2003, 19:35
Great information Jeremy.
Thanks for being so thourough!

k2
October 16th, 2003, 22:42
Jeremy

As always, APR is going above and beyond. I chipped an '01 Allroad with APR :cheers: The 2.7T had a real problem with Turbo lag. The APR chip totally cured this. The best $600 I've spent and you guys were great with all my questions.

Suggestion to all thinking about an APR upgrade (I will definitely purchase this in a couple of months) ... go to your dealer and buy an extra ECU. Send the new ECU to APR for chipping. When you get the new ECU ... put in in the car and remove the original for safe keeping. I did this with my Allroad and didn't really need it, but every dealer I have spoken to ... says ... if we physically find the chip ... WARRANTY VOID ... if we don't physically find the chip then you're in much better shape no matter what we find upon inspection of the turbos or the tranny. I know this is an expensive proposition, but we are driving $85K plus cars.

Jeremy ... please post Dynos when available ... and please post ECU removal instructions if they are diff from the A6 or A4.

Cheers
K2

JAXRS6
October 17th, 2003, 07:10
k2, you suggest a couple of things that may need clarification, but Jeremy is the expert on at least one of them so I hope he'll read this too.

You suggest a need to swap ECUs, but if I understand Jeremy's explanation of APR's forthcoming DPP technology in his post above, there won't be any need to swap ECUs (with DPP) because the chip physically inside will not be physically touched. Instead, programming will be "fed" to it via the VAG COM connection under the dash. In other words, plug in a laptop, push some buttons, and voila -- your chip has been reprogrammed to produce X-more horsepower and Y-more torque! (Right, Jeremy?)

Secondly, somewhere on another post a person is claiming that Audi is not making it easy to buy an RS6 ECU. Which if true is not surprising, since a) there aren't and never will be many U.S.-tuned RS6s; and b) Audi of America, and even more so some dealers, seem determined to minimize the warranty problems associated with any non-Audi modifications.

k2
October 17th, 2003, 13:43
Jax,

Thanks for the reply ... this is an important discussion because I have heard so many different things from Audi personnel on this issue. My RS6 tech told me Audi would not honor my warranty if they 'found my car had a chip'. This response begs the question so I asked the obvious question ... 'found evidence of' or 'found a chip'? He reiterated ... found a chip. My strategy ... right or wrong ... foolish or wise ... is to swap the ECU (assuming i can find one) prior to service if my chipped ECU every causes a serious problem ... tranny, engine ...etc. I really don't care about the day to day service stuff because I don't think the typical tech is going to report it. It's the big problems that concern me. If the car's tranny has to be rebuilt because of .... whatever ..., then the tech is going to be hardpressed to ignore the chip. This is based on two year old info from my Tech in Firsco and recent info from my RS6 tech. I will inquire more about this and report back.

I read Jeremy's post again ... yes it appears as if their future technology will support upgrading software directly to the OEM chip. This is too cool. But who knows when we will have this ... so in the interim, my concern stands.

I sincerely hope you are right about the Audi warrant thing. They detune these autos before they hit the street ... makes sense that they would honor the engineered standard.

Jeremy ... do you want to opine on this topic?

K2

JeremyAPR
October 17th, 2003, 16:28
DPP programming is already available for a number of current Audi/VW models. Though there may be some delay in availability for the RS6, this is a fully tested and in truth remarkable system. Availability of RS6 ECU's is quite limited and very costly. Thus this is a less than ideal option for most.

Our programming, be it thru the traditional chip, or newer DPP method, uses encryption to limit the chance that changes will be seen. Plus, due to the availability of a stock programming option the car will respond, in this mode, as it did the day it left the factory. You have to realize that unlike any of the products provided by our competitors, our EMCS offerings make modifications as safe and protected as humanly possible. DPP extends our attempt to maintain your privacy as a consumer.

We understand the want for improved power so commonly in the blood of high-performance car owners. We also realize the want to protect ones investment to the fullest. This knowledge is part and parcel with our development of tuning. I hope that this info is of assistance. Please feel free to contact me with any of your questions