PDA

View Full Version : Winter storage

bmlee007
November 22nd, 2011, 22:53
Hi all,

I'm planning to store my car for the winter and had a question. Is there anything negative about disconnecting the battery for a long period of time? I'd like to install a battery cut-off switch so I don't have to fumble about with tools and cables if the weather is nice when I'm home. None of the storage units I've looked at have electrical outlets so a battery tender is out of the question.

I travel a lot and don't have enough garage space as it is, and don't want to make the beast sit in the snow for a couple weeks at a time. On the flipside, it really does enjoy the cool air we have now. The last couple weekends have been a lot of fun!

SzymekCRX
November 23rd, 2011, 10:28
From my opinion it very bad disconnect it totally. A battery needs to be USED (charged, discharged) to work properly.

I'd rather not disconnect it, leave it as it is but every 3-4 weeks take it out and CHARGE it using an external rectifier (or anyway You call it :) )

If You leave it unattended it will die out and You will not be able to charge it or use it afterwards !

Jimmy
November 23rd, 2011, 15:25
VAG has a small solar panel that you can leave on the windshield and plugs into the lighter.......or you could splice in a longer wire and mount the solar panel outside while the car sits inside.

ebay has them for like $20 or so. I might have a few too somewhere. I bet your local VW dealer would give you one (they usually all came with new cars off the trailer) Audi dealers usually don't give anything away for free tho.

No way to have someone start the car every week or two and maybe drive for 5 minutes?...that would be the best; to circulate the fluids , warm up, prevent tire flatspotting, etc.

bmlee007
November 23rd, 2011, 19:06
My plan would be to get it out when I'm home, normally every other weekend. I like the solar panel idea if the storage place will let me hang it outside the door. I'll also be doing some work during the downtime - TB, coil-overs, exhaust, ECU, freshen the interior, maybe even pull the exhaust manifolds and get them ceramic coated.

ben916
November 23rd, 2011, 19:29
I might suggest a more warmer locale.... San Diego, California - perhaps? I hear Casa Grande, AZ is nice also :)

V8weight
November 23rd, 2011, 23:38
Just buy a battery tender....make sure you change the oil before storage, inflate the tires to 50psi and dump a can of seafoam in it.

bmlee007
November 24th, 2011, 00:17
I might suggest a more warmer locale.... San Diego, California - perhaps? I hear Casa Grande, AZ is nice also :)

Silly old me lived in Florida for 8 years before I moved back north, maybe it's time to flip the switch and head back in the right direction.

ben916
November 24th, 2011, 01:42
Just buy a battery tender....make sure you change the oil before storage, inflate the tires to 50psi and dump a can of seafoam in it.

I hear Casa Grande in January is very nice - Timing belt party, Barrett Jackson, emtpy roads, no snow...