PDA

View Full Version : H&R/DRC vs. Bilstein/H&R vs. V1 Coilovers vs. V3 Coilovers

UrS6
November 20th, 2011, 18:02
I don't care for the ride with my stock suspension. The DRC recall has been done but I find the ride harsh and wallowing at the same time. I have owned a lot of "built" cars that have had upgraded suspensions. I would like to keep this one comfortable and carefully modify things. I was thinking of getting the KW V3 but have been reading some posts here about just swapping to Bilsteins for the S6 and H&R springs for the A6. Also, I was thinking how about just throwing in H&R spings and Hotchkis Sways and call it a day (and save some $). Can anyone discuss the differences? I know everyone loves the V3s. How much of a compromise is doing just H&R springs? Let's assume that any upgrade will use the Hotchkis sways. The car will be spirited street driving for the most part and I have seldom adjusted shocks in my former cars that have had adjustibility in them. I'd rather just have the shocks at one rate and leave it. TIA for any advice.

kismetcapitan
November 20th, 2011, 20:06
The Hotchkis bars go a long way in getting rid of that "wallow" that the car will sometimes fall into, and makes the firmness more consistent. I have H&R springs but have yet to install them. My hope is that the springs also add some firmness - I like hard riding cars.

My difficulty in getting the springs involved have revolved mostly around finding a shop willing to do it. The other question is about fender clearance, as I am running 10mm spacers.

btw, what tire pressure are you running? At 37psi, the ride becomes much smoother, but I find the squishy handling to be intolerable. I always check to make sure my tires are at 42psi cold.

JSRS6
November 20th, 2011, 20:49
I'll install your springs for you Toby, but you gotta come out here to Virginia Beach...