PDA

View Full Version : Swapping battery - radio code needed?

kismetcapitan
November 19th, 2011, 20:17
Right, so I'm installing my Odyssey now and it occurred to me that if I unplug the battery, the radio might ask for a code? Which will suck because I don't have it in my manual and generally try to avoid the dealer...

SzymekCRX
November 19th, 2011, 20:34
Yeah it will ask You for it.

However my code was written on the top of the radio itself. You'll have to slide it off (that was my case though).

4everRS
November 19th, 2011, 20:46
Never have had to recode the radio after unplugging the battery.

kismetcapitan
November 19th, 2011, 20:48
Can't remember if I saw the code when I pulled the radio to install my iPhone wiring, but doesn't havin the code ON the radio defeat the anti-theft purpose of having a code? Just another annoyance that technology brings...

SzymekCRX
November 19th, 2011, 20:57
Never have had to recode the radio after unplugging the battery.

On the ori RNS-D ?

Can't remember if I saw the code when I pulled the radio to install my iPhone wiring, but doesn't havin the code ON the radio defeat the anti-theft purpose of having a code? Just another annoyance that technology brings...

Yes, it was just written by somebody else :) You're right on this the issue. You have try it - do You have a choice now ? :)

uppo44
November 19th, 2011, 21:09
I know a trick that works on most cars. Not sure about an Audi though? Wire a small 9 volt battery from the supermarket to a cigarette lighter plug. Make sure you get the polarity right! Plug this into you cig socket before disconnecting your main battery. Use a multimeter in the socket first to check polarity and to see if you need the key on to get a connection. Good luck.

SzymekCRX
November 19th, 2011, 21:15
I know a trick that works on most cars. Not sure about an Audi though? Wire a small 9 volt battery from the supermarket to a cigarette lighter plug. Make sure you get the polarity right! Plug this into you cig socket before disconnecting your main battery. Use a multimeter in the socket first to check polarity and to see if you need the key on to get a connection. Good luck.

Not a bad idea ! It should do the trick but remeber to switch off all the unnecessary devices such as AC and lights !

kismetcapitan
November 19th, 2011, 21:53
I've got the RNS-D. They're also taking out the battery plate, which requires grinding out four large welds. They are also pre-wiring for a second PC925 over on the left side, if/when I feel I need a second battery. When all is connected, we'll find out then if the radio demands a damned code.

kismetcapitan
November 19th, 2011, 22:33
All is well, it just forgot radio presets, etc. I suspect it'll only ask for the code if you pull the radio and it loses contact with the vehicle ground?

Elevens
November 20th, 2011, 04:13
Disconnected my Battery many times and never had any coding issues. If there is an issue you will have to bring it to the Dealer get the code. The stock Symphony II radios are worth about $50.00 now. It would probably be cheaper to buy one than bother to try to get the security code. Any way I don't think you will have any issues. Good Luck.....................

JSRS6
November 20th, 2011, 04:25
We don't have rnd-d, I think it's rns-c. Rns-d had the smaller nav screen.

http://images41.fotki.com/v1340/photos/1/110342/2378802/toRNSDtoRNSESymphomyIIRNSDRNSE-vi.jpg

kismetcapitan
November 20th, 2011, 05:43
yep, I've got RNS-C. Battery was disconnected for about three hours. Other than losing radio presets, it's all fine.

btw, the car doesn't crank over as easily, but it definitely works. I had the trunk prewired for a second PC925. Reminds me, I should go out and run the windows up and down so that they work automatically again.

kismetcapitan
November 20th, 2011, 05:52
I'm being anal. the engine starts just as it ever has; the dash lights just fade for a split second right when I start the engine.