PDA

View Full Version : New Owner (almost) - My Upgrade Questions

mgerity
November 18th, 2011, 19:04
Okay, as I said last week, my first RS 6 is on its way. It is supposed to be delivered this Sunday, so I'm stoked. Now I'm already starting to plan out my upgrades and whatnot. So, I have a bunch of questions about what I've found on this forum and elsewhere. Any help and information would be greatly appreciated. So here goes:

1) What parts are interchangeable with the A6 and/or the S6? I've found out quickly that a car made for only one year does not make for an abundance of parts and add-ons. Meanwhile, there is generally a lot out there for the A6 and the S6. So, what parts or types of parts for the RS 6 tend to come straight from the A6/S6 parts bin, and which don't. Just as one example, I'm looking to replace the stock stereo with a double-DIN Alpine, so do the faceplate adapters I see on eBay for the A6/S6 work?

2) It looks like the TCU chip upgrade is pretty universally recommended and pretty cheap. Is Hoppen the standard way to go with that?

3) It looks like an ECU chip upgrade is pretty universally recommended, but recommendations and prices are all over the place. I don't think I'm too interested in spending over $700-800 on that. It looks like Eurocharged may well be my only option in that price range. Some seem to strongly recommend Eurocharged, others say they measured no improvement. I also see a lot of talk about "Stage 1" and "Stage 2" from Eurocharged, but their site only shows one option for software (for $599) and the handheld. Thoughts? Comments?

4) I see a lot of chat about the stock suspension being problematic, and people talking about doing the "standard suspension upgrades," but after some searching, I'm sure not finding any simple, straightforward discussion of what those standard upgrades are. Is there a "standard" list of recommendations, and can changes be implemented incrementally, starting from simple to more advanced? Or is this an area where it's complex and involved from top to bottom?

5) What is "the big 75K service" I am seeing mentioned?

6) Are there any other standard/common upgrades that tend to be popular?

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

terrytcl
November 18th, 2011, 19:39
1 - YES

2 - YES

3 - stage 1 is standard - stage 2 will require other modifications and also deletes emission sensors (pre-cat, etc)

4 - there's a lot of coilovers available for the RS6. a lot of threads on this topic.

5 - Timing belt, water pump, thermostat, change all little pulleys. (I have the tools necessary to do this work and rent them out)

6 - SMIC upgrade (wagner / apikol so far), tune upgrade, wheels, exhaust (milltek / APR / etc), DV upgrade (APR, forge), TC upgrade / rebuild, Hotchkis sway bar upgrade

mgerity
November 18th, 2011, 22:11
Just sitting here reading all the posts about people racing Corvettes and Ferraris and Mustangs and Porsches and GT-Rs and whatnot. I can tell before I've even driven this thing that it's going to get me into troouuuuuuubbblllle. ;o)

Anyway, any other tips or viewpoints are welcome on my upgrade map.