PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light - is this normal??

mik15
November 18th, 2011, 15:26
is it normal for the CEL to not be on when you put the key in the ignition and get ready to start it up? Does it come on only when there is a problem or should be on before you start up the engine and then goes off??

Elevens
November 18th, 2011, 16:24
All Instrument panel lights should be on when the Ignition is Initially turned on. This is a bulb self test. If there are no issues all should turn off upon engine start. The CEL should not be on by merely putting the Key in the Ignition, but should come no when you turn the Ignition on. If not the bulb may be out....

mik15
November 18th, 2011, 17:35
that is what i knew also, that when the ignition is on the CEL should be on, after the engine is fired up the CEL should go off if is everything is ok.....if the CEL doesn't come up at all when the ignition is on that means something is wrong most likely someone fixed the bulb and removed it? I have seen 2 RS6's and when i testedthem i didn't see the CEL coming on when the ignition is on so made think that something is wrong though both cars were running very good, didn't feel any problems at all...is there a cluster test like BMW has to see if all the bulbs are working??