PDA

View Full Version : Front License Plate Idea DIY

4everRS
November 13th, 2011, 07:54
So it was inevitable, I was stopped by one of the many great MN state troopers for not having a front plate. In MN it is law to have one, and I have eluded the law for over 2 years. I started a shopping adventure to find the right solution that I could remove if wanted.

So I bought a manually retractable plate holder that I had high hopes of mounting in the lower grill and cutting a slot in the grill to allow it to slide out. Well, after doing some mock-ups, I realized that wasn't going to work well without significant modification. ..........So I bought magnets!

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/magnetglue.jpg

I applied gorilla super glue to a few "super" magnets and finagled them under the bumper cover. I slide them up to the desired position using another magnet on the outside of the bumper.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/magnetaccess.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/magnetmount.jpg

I let them sit for a while and take a plate bracket I had from the retractable idea, then just applied more glue to the exterior magnet, and held the plate bracket on for a while until it stuck.

With plate:

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/plate.jpg

And Without:

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/noplate.jpg

SzymekCRX
November 13th, 2011, 08:20
Nicely done, these neodymium magnets are very strong :)

PS. RS6 C6 rims ? 19" ?

4everRS
November 13th, 2011, 08:27
Nicely done, these neodymium magnets are very strong :)

PS. RS6 C6 rims ? 19" ?

Yep, on the magnets and the rims

ben916
November 13th, 2011, 09:00
Is that for putting around town? Cuz I would think at triple digits, it wouldn't hold for squat... just sayin'

as350
November 13th, 2011, 13:51
Ben, you'd be surprised how strong these magnets are. I did the same mod (except I used 4 stacks of magnets instead of the 3 in this thread) and the license plate has survived many high speed runs as well as potholes and other jarring bumps.

4everRS
November 13th, 2011, 14:52
Is that for putting around town? Cuz I would think at triple digits, it wouldn't hold for squat... just sayin'ya, they don't look like much, but they are tough. After the glue dried, I took a run to test it. 125 mph and it held great

nene
November 13th, 2011, 17:05
At some point I just got tired of taking it off and putting it back on. So now it stays on all the time.
But I like your idea. Great work.

Any more info on the wheels you can share, or pix?
I'd love to get something new for my Winter setup, and yours look great.

Aronis
November 13th, 2011, 17:35
thats very nice.

I am having trouble seeing where the magnets are. I cannot see them on the Without picture. Could you post another picture?

Mike

The RS6
November 13th, 2011, 17:57
thats very nice.

I am having trouble seeing where the magnets are. I cannot see them on the Without picture. Could you post another picture?

Mike

I think they are on the licence plates and the inside of the bumper...

SAF
November 13th, 2011, 18:03
Yes, they are strong enough to hold through the bumper plastic. Nothing visible when plate is off.

JSRS6
November 13th, 2011, 18:26
Kyle, what tires are on your car in these pics? In your other thread with the cracked 19" rim, you have supersports on, but not here...?

4everRS
November 13th, 2011, 19:19
Mike, as The RS6 said, the magnet are on the inside of the bumper cover. Nothing visible from outside. In the 3rd pic it shows the outer magnets that are just holding the inside ones in place while the glue dries on those inside ones.

Josh, they are the old Pilot Sports - in both threads. Supersports will be next though.

4everRS
November 13th, 2011, 19:24
Nene, here's a couple shots of the wheels from this summer. They are Hartmann c6 rs6 wheels. 19x8.5 et25. I like them a lot, and feel it really updates the car. I just put on my stock wheels for winter and it just seems bland.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/P1011248.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/P1011246.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/P1011245.jpg

twinsteve
November 13th, 2011, 23:59
you using any spacers? they look sweet!!

ben916
November 14th, 2011, 01:04
ya, they don't look like much, but they are tough. After the glue dried, I took a run to test it. 125 mph and it held great

CRAZY!!!! That is really clean!

Amar
November 14th, 2011, 02:51
Awesome looking car, but is it me or does the back bumper look a different shade in the last picture?

Beastly
November 14th, 2011, 02:59
Those rims are so hot!!!!!!! Amazing look!

< yes, i have the same >

4everRS
November 14th, 2011, 03:10
you using any spacers? they look sweet!! No spacers. Hartmann has 2 options for offset, 25 and 38. Our stock offset is something like 32 I think. So the 25 offset would be like using 7mm spacers - built in. As I said I just put on the stock wheel with snow tires and you can really tell they sit in the fender more.

Awesome looking car, but is it me or does the back bumper look a different shade in the last picture?You're right, it sure looks like a different shade. Maybe the lighting. When I bought it there were no accidents in it's history report, and prior owner said that he never had anything repainted - and neither have I.

Spidercat
November 14th, 2011, 22:03
Nice solution!

So, did you get fined? As an equipment violation, I presume (so no points or anything other than $$$)?

If/when I get cited, I plan to divide the dollar amount by the amount of time I got away with it, and then reason to myself that it's just my personal "front plate tax" and drive on! Anything more than a little fine, though, and I'd hafta rethink that...

4everRS
November 15th, 2011, 02:26
I like your style spidercat. Good economics right there. Or whatever it is.

No, I didnt get a ticket. He asked me if I'd been warned about before. I told him 'no' and he went back to his car. Turns out I was warned before,... Oops. And on top of that, I was warned by his WIFE. Well, when she warned me I got a speeding ticket at the same time, and really did completely disregard the mention of a front plate. I manage her parents money (I'm a financial advisor) and she told her Hubble to let me go with a warning.

kismetcapitan
February 10th, 2012, 06:16
I chose the state I registered my car in (Michigan), due to several key factors:
- no annual car tax
- no emissions testing
- no real restrictions on window tin
- NO FRONT PLATE!!

mmaturo
February 11th, 2012, 05:50
Lots of Audi's the bumpers are a little off in color with the plastic. Mine was even though not damaged as well. I do the magnet thing on my TT but with a few more...fully tested beyond 125. They are REALLY strong. I tried the retractable mount also and came to the same conclusion on my RS6 as was too low to work under the front lip and no way to work higher. I ended up rigging the mounting plate of the retractable unit by bending back a piece of metal in the center of it into a hook and it fit perfectly through the grill diamonds so when i parked i just hooked it through the lower grill in the center. Was in enough to let it stay put on the road.

4everRS
February 11th, 2012, 14:08
Thanks for reminding me of this thread.

The magnets continue to hold strong. I've had the beast over 140 with it on.

NSU RS6
February 11th, 2012, 17:27
Nene, here's a couple shots of the wheels from this summer. They are Hartmann c6 rs6 wheels. 19x8.5 et25. I like them a lot, and feel it really updates the car. I just put on my stock wheels for winter and it just seems bland.

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/P1011248.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/P1011246.jpg

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/P1011245.jpg

These wheels are classy and sporty. And classy. And sporty. The fact that they are the next gen RS6 wheel cements the deal. This is what I will be putting on my car. Funny, I could ride my bike to Achtuning in about 18 minutes.

Thanks for the pics!

4everRS
February 11th, 2012, 18:06
Thanks. I like them. However it will be pretty hard to get the wheels back home on your bike! :)

NSU RS6
February 11th, 2012, 18:23
Thanks. I like them. However it will be pretty hard to get the wheels back home on your bike! :)

My mountain bike (old Aluminum Trek 7000, also known as "Truk"), has a plastic Coca-Cola crate strapped to the aluminum frame carrier in the back. Would easily hold one box, maybe two if I am ambitious.

I could use the exercise!

NSU RS6
February 11th, 2012, 18:31
Thanks for reminding me of this thread.

The magnets continue to hold strong. I've had the beast over 140 with it on.

Easy to do in MN! So flat and so straight! I was driving the fam in a rented Crown Vic from Minneapolis to Crookston and I could see the next four towns by their grain elevators. I slooooowly accelerated to about 90 before my wife realized I was going kinda fast.

That could never happen here in Westbumpyland where continents collide.

twinsteve
February 11th, 2012, 18:52

do you use spacers at all with your Hartmann's?

4everRS
February 11th, 2012, 19:19
I live a ways north of Minneapolis. More elevation, and trees, and turns in the roads. Minnie to crookston would be a boring drive.

No spacers on the Hartmanns. I bought the 25 offset.

NSU RS6
February 11th, 2012, 19:24
I live a ways north of Minneapolis. More elevation, and trees, and turns in the roads. Minnie to crookston would be a boring drive.

No spacers on the Hartmanns. I bought the 25 offset.

I was in Minneapolis at Halloween, visiting my uncle - he lives on W Cedar Lk Pkwy. We went downtown to look at the college students get wasted in their costumes. The place was rippin'!

BTW - My uncle is 76!

February 12th, 2012, 20:51
Love that idea! We have the same law in Utah, So I'll have to do something similar.....eventually.

February 12th, 2012, 20:52
Love that idea! We have the same law in Utah, So I'll have to do something similar.....eventually. Shouldn't be too much force there, right at the stagnation point of the air moving around the car.

May 15th, 2012, 22:50
4everRS,

I know I will have the same problem here in Eewtah eventually. What size were the magnets inside the bumper and how many did you stack? I found some but they were 10mm and didn't seem strong enough. 20 mm work? Thanks

4everRS
May 15th, 2012, 23:54
4everRS,

I know I will have the same problem here in Eewtah eventually. What size were the magnets inside the bumper and how many did you stack? I found some but they were 10mm and didn't seem strong enough. 20 mm work? Thanks

They are not regular magnets. They are neodymium magnets. Some hardware stores have them. They may be packaged as "super magnets". They are small. I don't remember the size but not bigger that 1". They have a chrome finish. I used 3 behind the bumper, 3 glued onto the plate holder. So these are not only holding the plate, but a plastic plate holder as well. I been over 160 mph with it on.

May 16th, 2012, 00:05
Thanks, sounds like 20mm. The 10mm ones I saw were a little small. Save me the extra cost of no front plate when I get my first ticket.

4everRS
May 16th, 2012, 00:17
Thanks, sounds like 20mm. The 10mm ones I saw were a little small. Save me the extra cost of no front plate when I get my first ticket.

Ya. Sorry. Read your previous post a little too quick. they are much closer to 20mm than 10.

dannyboy
May 24th, 2012, 04:11
4everRS,
First I have to say your car looks sweet! I have a question regarding your tires.....what size are you currently running? I have 03 rs6 with 255/35/19's and I'm looking into 255/40/19's but I'm not sure if they will fit.

4everRS
May 24th, 2012, 04:43
Thanks. I need to post new pics as I've done a couple small visual items.

I have 255/35-19. That is the exact same diameter as stock. A 255/40-19 will likely work, but your speedo will be 3.8% off. Your speedo will show 3.8% less than your actually traveling. I would stick to 255/35-19 if your on a 8 or 8.5 inch wide rim.

A 9.5" rim with the right offset will allow you to run 275's. Thats a whole different set of numbers to deal with.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

June 12th, 2012, 00:29
Important tip, magnets are directional...dohhhhh!! And 4everRS how did you get the two magnets up high without taking the bumper off??

4everRS
June 12th, 2012, 01:35
Important tip, magnets are directional...dohhhhh!! And 4everRS how did you get the two magnets up high without taking the bumper off??

Reference the pictures on page 1. I applied the superglue on the magnet, got it up the backside of the bumper cover as far as I could, then using a magnet on the feint of the bumper, I slide them up the backside of the bumper cover, to the desired position. Leave them sit there til the glue dries.