PDA

View Full Version : Wipers

amanda
November 12th, 2011, 21:32
My wipers are normal c5 ones for the RS complete with audi's aero dynamic strip on ie its supposed to keep them stuck to the windscreen at high speed and are special to the rs6!!!!!
Today I found they don't work As my speed was a little bit more than normal I was a bit alarmed as my wipers went on a slow go....is this because the linkage maybe failing? Or is it normal? If it was I wasn't very happy!
Does anyone have any suggestions please as I don't want it to happen again

speedtrapped
November 12th, 2011, 22:09
I do not use OEM and on several spirited runs, I have never had my blades move. I always wondered if I was sustained 140mph+, like Texas mile, would my blades hold.

amanda
November 12th, 2011, 23:28
Mr speedtrapped your pm limit has been used can you please accept a pm from me ;)

speedtrapped
November 12th, 2011, 23:45
Room made

Aronis
November 12th, 2011, 23:48
So you started a windshield wiper thread.

Ok.

The Wipers on two A6's I've owned (2000 A6 4.2 and 2003 RS6) simply STINK! Noisy as hell. Even when brand new! The wipers on my minivan are silent! The wipers on my 2008 A4 Cabriolet are silent.

Those on the RS6 BITE! Noisy, chatter across the window. Drives ME NUTS. I try not to use them, that drives my wife crazy when we are traveling in the rain.

So, I'd don't think the wipers on the RS6 are any good at ANY SPEED.

End Rant.

LOL....

But, my wipers and my RS6 are both paid off! LOL..

Mike

DonS
November 13th, 2011, 02:42
Lots of Rain-X helps, but not for long. I'd love a solution with winter about to set in....

4everRS
November 13th, 2011, 08:25
LOL @ Mike. Hoooorraay for the pay-off.

I have not problems with my wipers. I have some rainX wipers. I have driven at 160 for brief moments. I have driven at 120+ for more than brief moments.

Something seems a little off Amanda

MaxRS6
November 13th, 2011, 13:52
No wiper issues...charmin makes it sparkly clean every time..00 However; at 160 wipes/per second- I have seen smoke start to appear.

Good luck Amanda with finding a resolution. The high speed issues are a pain. The conversation kind of goes like:

Me: This- fill in the blank for high speed issue- only happens when at a high speed
Tech: Smiles- I'll see if I can recreate it

...a couple days go by.....

Tech: We've been running it like George Michael's aRse and couldn't recreate the issue
Me: I need to have it resolved...What's the next step?
Tech: You want us to keep it another couple of days???

Aronis
November 13th, 2011, 17:32
Yes, I have used Rain-X.... makes it less necessary to use the wipers LOL!

arS6
November 13th, 2011, 21:00
As far as the wipers moving slow at high speeds, I have no idea but I do agree that the wipers move slow at all speeds!

Now if you want the wipers to wipe cleaner or just better (not faster), I've had very good luck with cleaning my windows with a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and 3M tar and adhesive remover. The 3m is hard to find at my local AutoZone now so I go for the Home Depot "Goof Off." Works just as well. I even use it on my paint when I detail. I once clean the windshield and my GF said "oh good, you finally replaced the wipers." Give it a try. Of course you should also clean the rubber blades as well. 303 makes a conditioner for the rubber.

Chung
November 13th, 2011, 23:26
I have had issues with the wiper wiping cleanly. After cleaning the windscreen it was much better for about a month. Though I have had issues with streaking I never have had issues with them making noise. I have bosch icon blades.

bmlee007
November 14th, 2011, 01:57
I had to replace the wiper motor shortly after I bought mine. Bought it on ebay for $80 or $90, easy to change out, the hardest part was removing the wiper arms from the mounts. Mine went very slow, then stopped, and naturally it happened when they were directly in front of my eyes. I stopped at a gas station and bought RainX, drove the next three hours without needing the wipers. I love that stuff.

ttboost
November 14th, 2011, 19:48
Yup...wipers on these cars SUCK!!! AND you can't get them anywhere but the dealer? Most aftermarket autopart stores don't stock parts for a "1 year only" car? Not a huge issue for me, as I don't often find myself a triple digit speeds in the rain...especially at the Texas Mile...:)

Spidercat
November 14th, 2011, 21:33
Bosch Icons work well. Part number 422A, about $42.

More details:
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/11323-Windshield-Wipers/page2?highlight=wipers

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/14927-URGENT!-EMERGENCY!-Aero-Wiper-Blades?highlight=wipers

amanda
November 14th, 2011, 22:26
After doing further research it looks like the linkage is failing rather than the blades so I shall be ordering a new linkage rather than repairing the old one as its only about £70 .... I will then keep you updated about the wipers at high speed ;)

speedtrapped
November 15th, 2011, 00:43
U should be extra thorough, maybe 250kmh run just to make sure, ;)

kismetcapitan
February 11th, 2012, 09:10
at those speeds, one shouldn't need wipers at all, especially when the windshield has been cleaned properly.

I just purchased Rain-X Latitudes; both 22". Hope they fit/work well...

ThrillHouse
February 11th, 2012, 13:54
When this thread came up a few weeks ago I knew I needed wipers. I went with the Bosch Icons. Turns out that's what was on there. They are ok when new but I would have wanted to try something new.

You do need to treat the windshield though. I just had mine replaced in Dec due to a crack so it really needed it! I just used the wax I use on the car. Prima Hydra (not sure off the top of my head which stage) and its great. Some waxes build up but this didn't. I used rain-x before and for some reason I didn't like it.

Now I just need to adjust the washer nozzles! I'm also looking at finding a good "fan" style spray nozzle too. I hate the stream style!!

ben916
February 12th, 2013, 23:40
And SOOOO the Necro bump

So it is time for that question again about wipers:
I have replaced mine with OEM and sure as $hit, streaking again in the middle.

I would LOVE to get some of the new wipers (Bosch, rainX, whatnot) but the stupid curve is hindering the selections.
Any ideas?

There are some idjuts out there that "think" the OEM RS6 wipers with the driver's side fin are NOT aero, which is fine since they don't own an RS6.
There is an offering of "Aero" wipers on ecstuning that might fit the curved wiper arms but unsure.

Any guidance?

DonS
February 13th, 2013, 00:41
Just slide in a refill for less than $10. They measure 22" long and 6mm wide. I remember spreading out a couple of the clamps where they would bind. Now I replace them at the first sign of a streak as I have a stack of spares (getting low with our brutal winter).

DonS
February 13th, 2013, 00:58
Maybe they are 7mm. I pulled the label out of the box so I don't have the brand or model number any more...

JSRS6
February 13th, 2013, 01:25
And SOOOO the Necro bump

So it is time for that question again about wipers:
I have replaced mine with OEM and sure as $hit, streaking again in the middle.

I would LOVE to get some of the new wipers (Bosch, rainX, whatnot) but the stupid curve is hindering the selections.
Any ideas?

There are some idjuts out there that "think" the OEM RS6 wipers with the driver's side fin are NOT aero, which is fine since they don't own an RS6.
There is an offering of "Aero" wipers on ecstuning that might fit the curved wiper arms but unsure.

Any guidance?

The last two times I replaced my wipers, I used Bosch icons from autozone. 22 on both. They work great. They were 25 each.

DonS
February 13th, 2013, 02:12
Here are the blade only refills - Anco W-22R for $1.98 for a pair at Rock Auto: http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,29,partnum,W22R,d,anco_W22R.html

vitalian
February 13th, 2013, 20:58
Thanks for the timely bump, Ben. I have replaced my OEMs twice, and they are on the fritz again (multiple streaks in the middle). The OEM wipers just seem to be pieces of crap -- expensive, don't last very long, annoying streaks. I think I'm going to try the Bosch (thanks JSRS6).

RSSIK
February 19th, 2013, 04:52
As said earlier in the thread I use BOSCH ICON and they are very quiet and dont move 130+mph. Depending on how long you decide to keep moving at this speed i cant promise because in NJ we dont have much time to keep moving at those high speeds but I have no complaints whatsoever. Last set lasted me 6+months. I usually try and change them every 4 months just to keep that streak free wipe.

peiserg
February 20th, 2013, 05:07
i bought some generic "22-1" blades at auto zone. $20. work great. no chatter, no streaking. The chatter was so annoying... no more!

Jimmy
February 20th, 2013, 12:30
Also VERY happy with BOSH ICONS for winter ...there is a differing left and right side.

I also use the OE 2001 Audi allroad wipers for the summer, l & curved r side also, and also under $20. The driver's side is 'aero' with the lil' spoiler too.

MORS6
February 21st, 2013, 21:17
ClearPlus 20221 Premium Wiper Blade, 22 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002XRUNA/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER)"
Amazon has them for $6.05 with free prime shipping. Originally their fit guide said they were for the RS6, now it doesn't.
These are the first blades I've had that don't streak where the arm attaches. I like them much better than the $25 Michelin blades they replaced.
They probably won't last long but are doing fine in today's ice and snow.

February 21st, 2013, 23:27
Bought refills from FCP Euro for $12 a set. Only place I could find just the refill as WalMart and the auto parts stores only sell the cartridge. Funny, I was looking at the wipers in my office the other day...380 mph and they stayed in place just fine with no plastic aero crap.

ttboost
February 21st, 2013, 23:45
Office has a nice view...at least on that trip...

February 22nd, 2013, 00:14
Office is cramped and noisy....especially for 5 hours. But it does have its moments and I do love it.

ttboost
February 22nd, 2013, 00:35
HA..kudos on your career choice...

audiprotn
July 25th, 2013, 16:34
Bump,
so what is the best option as of today?

I just need a direct replacement, don't want to change the arms as well.

ben916
July 25th, 2013, 16:55
Bump,
so what is the best option as of today?

I just need a direct replacement, don't want to change the arms as well.

Bosch Icons, I think they are 22A and 22B

DonS
July 25th, 2013, 17:10
I still do the blade only refills - Anco W-22R for $1.98 for a pair at Rock Auto: http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,cata...anco_W22R.html (http://www.rockauto.com/dbphp/x,catalog,29,partnum,W22R,d,anco_W22R.html)

I retain all the OEM arms and hardware, just swap the blade. They work as OEM. At this price I can toss them at will.

DHall1
July 25th, 2013, 23:40
Don, so you are saying that these inserts will work in the Audi wipers? I hope so because I just ordered some

lswing
July 26th, 2013, 01:06
Dave, thanks for being the test rat, in a good way...I need new ones too. Bet you paid more for shipping.

DonS
July 26th, 2013, 12:58
Yep. I remember prying open one or two of the tighter guides. Please report back on your experience.

audiprotn
August 2nd, 2013, 17:57
Got my refills.
Could anyone explain how to change them now?

audiprotn
August 2nd, 2013, 18:16
Ok nvm, got it

audiprotn
August 12th, 2013, 16:05
Ok, these refills are great, wipers work perfect. Thanks guys

lswing
February 14th, 2014, 00:12
Ordering cheap refills, will report back...

lswing
February 14th, 2014, 01:11
$10 with shipping...breaking the bank!

makaveli42
February 19th, 2014, 21:48
$10 with shipping...breaking the bank!

mine just arrived today....installed them and they seem to be about an inch too long. did yours fit the same way? i will leave them long unless they start to move around and wiggle too much. looks like you can cut them to fit tho...?

lswing
March 18th, 2014, 19:58
Anco wipers fit great, although are about a 1/2 in longer on each side, have them centered. I like the extra coverage, and they work just fine. Doesn't look like they can be cut, hard plastic cover on each end I think....I'm ordering about 8 more pairs:)

Edit; cannot be trimmed, hard plastic holding wiper insert. Slides back and forth and inch or less, will probably never notice, feel and cleaning on windshield is great and so is the look of the wiper.

amanda
April 22nd, 2014, 16:17
Update.........new wiper motor and linkage was ordered and was on back order!

motor and linkage as well as a couple of bits has now landed :)
She is booked in next week for fitment. :)