PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my car and some help please... no turbos.

imola
November 9th, 2011, 23:39
Hi guys,

Just thought i'd share some pics of my motor and also ask for a bit of help too.

I've had the RS6 for about 6 months now and I absolutely love it. It's a 2003 Avant, MTM tuned, coilovers, Miltek system etc etc (the usual mods really).

Aesthetically is where it really differs from the rest, i've had it repainted in Porsche Mexico/Riviera Blue, have also had real carbon fibre laid over the roof and a few other bits covered too.

Pics are below.

Now the not so nice bit, I've recently lost both turbos, the car is running pretty much spot on other than this issue. I haven't had any blue smoke etc. I've had a vag com on (thanks to Ben over on rs246.com) and there were no faults other than the MAF readings which we've rectified using new plugs.

I've changed the DV's, N75, N249, N112 and vacuum hoses, we've even tried to run it without the N75 but still no turbos. The car also had re-con'd intercoolers a few months back.

Really confused now and don't know where to go next :confused: Have been told there are a a fair few technical guys here, so thought i'd post up to see if anyone can help a truly gutted RS6 owner :cry:

Any help and thoughts would be great.

some pics: enjoy -

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/s_mhd_malik/DSCF1479.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/s_mhd_malik/DSCF1505.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/s_mhd_malik/78021d03.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/s_mhd_malik/a3569073.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/s_mhd_malik/8e696b87.jpg

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/s_mhd_malik/ac6f4c50.jpg

skribe
November 9th, 2011, 23:52
:love2: Wow, beautiful car... Assuming you've reset the ECU -- Some versions of the MTM tune can drop the car into a soft limp mode where it runs fine but builds no real boost.

Easiest way to reset the ECU is to do the "redneck reset" -- disconnect the positive lead to the battery for 5 minutes (or just short it to ground for a few seconds.)

If your boost is back, then you've got to hunt down the underlying problem. First send your ECU to an MTM dealer and have them check the software revision and update if it's an old file.

IF that didn't do it, look to underlying issues that would cause overboost, like a physical problem with the wastegates.

MaxRS6
November 10th, 2011, 00:55
Have you logged the standard 3,31,115 measuring blocks? If so, post the logs for the hounds to sniff over..

marklar182
November 10th, 2011, 00:57
:love2: Wow, beautiful car... Assuming you've reset the ECU -- Some versions of the MTM tune can drop the car into a soft limp mode where it runs fine but builds no real boost.

Easiest way to reset the ECU is to do the "redneck reset" -- disconnect the positive lead to the battery for 5 minutes (or just short it to ground for a few seconds AFTER DISCONNECTING IT FROM THE BATTERY!!!!!!!.)

If your boost is back, then you've got to hunt down the underlying problem. First send your ECU to an MTM dealer and have them check the software revision and update if it's an old file.

IF that didn't do it, look to underlying issues that would cause overboost, like a physical problem with the wastegates.

Just to clarify haha.

I know Skibe is talking about here, but couldn't help visualizing someone shorting the positive to ground while connected and making an RS6 arc welder.

ben916
November 10th, 2011, 02:02
I thought the redneck reset was 30 minutes of disconnect..

QuattroRS
November 10th, 2011, 02:35
What are the odds that we have two members that just decided to repaint this P/blue color? It actually looks quite nice.

lswing
November 10th, 2011, 03:44
What are the odds that we have two members that just decided to repaint this P/blue color? It actually looks quite nice.

I think the guy in Cali copied this car, this one was posted many months ago, sweet ride...

Ruergard
November 10th, 2011, 09:53
Welcome aboard! That might be the coolest RS6 ever! :thumb:

skribe
November 10th, 2011, 14:58
Just to clarify haha.

I know Skibe is talking about here, but couldn't help visualizing someone shorting the positive to ground while connected and making an RS6 arc welder.

OH SHiT!. I never thought that anybody might interpret it that way... that would be a fookin disaster or perhaps fatal.

Goes without saying, buy I always wear rubber gloves and used rubber-handled tools when working on a battery...

To clarify, loosen and pull the positive lead OFF the battery. Then short the positive LEAD, (not the battery terminal!) to ground by using a long screwdriver and touching it to the mounting bracket for the battery. This will drain all the residual power from the circuit in an instant, it's an old trick I learned way back in my days as an IT monkey in the server room. Somebody may chime in and say that could damage a circuit, by they would be wrong. So save your keystrokes on that one.

Alternatively, just unhook the positive lead for 5 minutes, a half-hour isn't necessary.

JSRS6
November 10th, 2011, 15:20
^^^what he said. Just like using a shorting probe on a CRT...just with a lot less voltage.

Brav
November 10th, 2011, 18:21
Worthless post.. I am jealous of this vehicle.

imola
November 15th, 2011, 21:59
Thanks for all the nice words :) and sorry for the delayed response (not been too well over the last week).

Easiest way to reset the ECU is to do the "redneck reset" -- disconnect the positive lead to the battery for 5 minutes (or just short it to ground for a few seconds.)

Disconnected but still no luck unfortunately - any other thoughts?

Have you logged the standard 3,31,115 measuring blocks? If so, post the logs for the hounds to sniff over..

Bit of an amateur here can you explain what this is and how to do this mate?

Cheers
Sid