PDA

View Full Version : transmission sticking in gear :(

kismetcapitan
November 6th, 2011, 22:18
well, there's always something new :P

this has happened a couple times...while rolling at low speed and then I pin the throttle past the kickdown switch, the car hangs on 1st gear (could be 2nd?) and the engine stays at 6000rpm. Hitting the upshift paddle does nothing. The car shifts hard when I lift, and if I hang on, the CEL comes on until I lift the throttle.

am I confusing the car; when this happens, I'm not sure if I'm keeping the kickdown button pressed down. I should probably run some controlled tests, but it's not always easy to safely run 5-80mph sprints with the rate of acceleration that the RS6 dishes out.

hahnmgh63
November 6th, 2011, 23:27
Are you in 'D' or in 'S' mode? What does Vagcom say? If the CEL cam on then you would definitely have a code logged. TCU, Valve body? We need the code to get started but There is always Tozo on the list, a ZF transmission expert.

mmaturo
November 7th, 2011, 02:25
Torque Converter may be on its way out...mine was with same symptom.

4everRS
November 7th, 2011, 02:56
Sounds odd. My guess is Valve body or Trans harness issue. TC just doesn't seem like it should be the problem with just this information. In my TC case, the CEL lit up and told me it was going. Then as I drove it a little more, I could feel the slipping getting worse. TC issues are mysteries though.

kismetcapitan
November 7th, 2011, 03:08
no slipping, but I'll run VAGCOM and see what comes up. Last time I ran it, no TCU codes though.

valve body has abut 5K miles on it after being done by Level 10. I'll report back after some testing and code-logging.

oh, and I'm in D; it happens when I suddenly decide to get on it when the car's been puttering around. In terms of TCU learning, the car must think I'm a total pussy - 90% of its use is commuting within town, with only extremely subtle throttle and braking inputs. Must shock the hell out of the car when I suddenly ram the throttle down!

kismetcapitan
November 7th, 2011, 05:14
ran VDCS, no TCU codes. I did get a new one though:

17963 - Charge Pressure: Maximum Limit Exceeded
P1555 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Is this talking about boost pressure??

JSRS6
November 7th, 2011, 11:02
Yup45678. I was debating whether it even was a trans issue since the cel went away when you lifted off the throttle. N75 possibly. Or your car is just running really strong. Log your boost ASAP. Sounds like your engine is overpowering your trans and freaking it out.

hahnmgh63
November 7th, 2011, 14:31
I'd guess about the same although does anyone know if an intermittent code will throw the car into Limp mode temporarily?

lswing
November 7th, 2011, 16:41
Just a side note, I stay out of the kick down switch due to the ferocity at which it hits the trans with a shift. If I need to go fast in D while putting around, I just downshift using the paddle, RPM's jump up and I take off.

mmaturo
November 8th, 2011, 04:08
ran VDCS, no TCU codes. I did get a new one though:

17963 - Charge Pressure: Maximum Limit Exceeded
P1555 - 001 - Upper Limit Exceeded - Intermittent
Readiness: 0000 0000

Is this talking about boost pressure??

Ahhhhh to go back in time, in this case 7 years...the car is indeed putting out too much boost or just thinks it is (are you chipped) so over-boosting or really just putting out too much torque... so indeed the transmission does not like it, does not up-shift, holds, shuts the turbos down then shifts, so yes shuts the engine down into limp mode temporarily...it happened intermittently then more and more till every time i jumped on it. I suffered from this for months tell a tech finally figured it out...based on the code yours just threw. Unfortunately it was the torque converter replacement that did it. As it failed it could not take the power and shut down easier and easier. The car was not so much over boosting as it was just a strong engine exceeding the torque loading it liked. My thought that rather than slip it took the opposite approach and shut down the engine which is what it should do i suppose to protect itself.

Later failures I had...and I had 4 of these, was what most are used to which is the slow or no shifts (drops into neutral) slowing down into first and then a thunk, or the slipping, hesitating giving a pulsing feeling under heavy acceleration, or the sudden dump into gear when it otherwise missed a kickdown.

kismetcapitan
November 8th, 2011, 13:40
<sigh> yep, this is with the Eurocharged Stage 2 reflash. I guess I'm going to have to work with the transmission, maybe lift to let her shift and lose a bit of acceleration time. Either a stronger TC will fix this, or maybe it's the TCU that's freaking out and panicking?

JSRS6
November 8th, 2011, 15:44
I don't think it's the tune...I have Eurocharged stage 2 as well, modded to be a little more aggressive than stage 2. I have never(knock on wood) had this issue.

JSRS6
November 8th, 2011, 15:46
Have you had a chance to log it?

Brav
November 8th, 2011, 17:37
Is there a way to actually tell if you are in limp mode? My car is WAY faster after I clear my intermittent DTCs (such as this pesky gear-recognition signal from ABS group) for about 10 minutes or so..