PDA

View Full Version : RS6 fog lights. Is there an upgrade?

streetsoffire
November 3rd, 2011, 08:31
Are there any members here, who have upgraded there fog lights?.........either switched them out totally, or ran some sort of HID kit to generate more light output? I'm not really looking for pretty colored bulbs; I want to cast more light on the roadway, as I drive at night alot. Any suggestions?

Jimmy
November 3rd, 2011, 13:12
Good idea !!

I upgraded my allroads fogs to higher output H7s...I'm sure a better bulb in the stock RS6 housing can make a bit of a difference. I also polished the RS6s sand-blasted lens...that made a noticeable difference for me.

There's got to be an application to retro-fit an HID in there too. Prolly the newer Audi model foglights guts can be made to work(?). Can't see why not. Maybe I'll pop off a grill on a newer S4 that's on my friend's lot and see what's up with it all.

skribe
November 3rd, 2011, 13:46
Elevens converted his fogs to HID. He had to build a larger back onto the housing, right elevens?

One thing to look out for is creating more heat than the housing can handle, as I discovered in the past through melting my housings when running 100w bulbs in them.

streetsoffire
November 3rd, 2011, 17:54
Hmmmmm.....maybe instead of creating more heat than the housing was built for, just swap out the entire fog light unit, to something of similar size.......something that was built for off-road use; or something that was built specifically for HID use..........thoughts?

Paging Elevens!

bakes
November 3rd, 2011, 18:00
Fog lights aren't really meant to broadcast a large or deeper light are they? Aren't they just meant to be lower for foggy days? Your better bet is to see if there is a swap for the main HID's. I've recently switched from an 2005 A6 to my RS6 and the lights on the A6 were many times better. They shone much further up the road and were significantly brighter. With that being said, the high beam light output on the RS6 is excellent so long as you don't have much traffic coming the other way.

Elevens
November 3rd, 2011, 19:34
I use my Fogs as DRL's (Daytime Running Lights). I did the Fog light Mod (Fogs running without the Headlights on). And then I upgraded to HID's because the Yellowish light from the stock bulbs looked ridiculous compared the white light from the Standard HID Headlights. The HID upgrade was not easy. As the whole Fog light housing had to be Modified. I really did not Document the Procedure, which I regret because I can't remember exactly how I did it. I do remember that I had to modify the Bulb holder to accommodate the Larger HID H7 bulb using PVC piping from Home Depot. I then mounted the Small Ballasts in the Intercooler ducting and performed the necessary wiring. If I ever remove them change a bulb, I'll make note of exactly how I did the Mod........................

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1010054.jpg
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1010055.jpg
http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Coilover%20Install/P1010056.jpg

arS6
November 4th, 2011, 00:56
I too installed HIDs for my fog lights. I'm using yellow. I don't recall the installation being as difficult as Eleven said.

kismetcapitan
November 6th, 2011, 00:28
I've thought about doing HIDs but if it's going to be a pain...

I do have a pair of H7 LED bulbs. Might try those out; just hope it doesn't trip a code as they likely draw less voltage. Just getting the colors to match will be good enough for me.

nistah
December 4th, 2013, 21:25
Resurfacing an ancient thread. Any updates on specific kits or part #'s for a clean plug n play HID/Xenon upgrade. Thanks in advance!

Bigglezworth
December 5th, 2013, 00:02
All Audi's in Canada have for years used the fogs as DRL's. I just swaped out the tired H7 halogens in the fogs and the high beams with some high wattage LED's. They are bright white (whiter than the HID's which now look a tad yellow) and project well IMO.

lswing
December 5th, 2013, 00:37
Too bad Skribe and Elevens don't post anymore, those fellas had it together and nice rides...

December 5th, 2013, 00:53
I upgraded mine by deletion with the Wags.....

JSRS6
December 5th, 2013, 01:10
See post #6.

Too bad Skribe and Elevens don't post anymore, those fellas had it together and nice rides...

Bigglezworth
December 5th, 2013, 02:02
those fellas had it together...Hey....what about the rest of us?? lol

hahnmgh63
December 5th, 2013, 02:14
I agree that it is better to just upgrade by removing the fogs to get better airflow over the Intercoolers, and even better to go with Wagners over stock Intercoolers.

Bigglezworth
December 5th, 2013, 02:55
I agree that it is better to just upgrade by removing the fogs to get better airflow over the Intercoolers, and even better to go with Wagners over stock Intercoolers.Can't do this in Canada as the Xenon's are permissible for Daytime Running Lights and the fogs are used instead to meet regulation.

December 5th, 2013, 03:06
I agree that it is better to just upgrade by removing the fogs to get better airflow over the Intercoolers, and even better to go with Wagners over stock Intercoolers.

Told my wife that mine with the Wags is faster than hers without......gonna be a cold night.

December 5th, 2013, 03:09
Can't do this in Canada as the Xenon's are permissible for Daytime Running Lights and the fogs are used instead to meet regulation.

So Daytime running lights are required north of the 49?

Bigglezworth
December 5th, 2013, 03:14
Absolutely. Has been legislated as such for almost a quarter century - since 1991...

December 5th, 2013, 03:17
Absolutely. Has been legislated as such for almost a quarter century - since 1991...

So you have a lot of people driving around at night....with no tail lights, because they think their headlights are on....that's what I have seen from DRL....

Bigglezworth
December 5th, 2013, 04:27
So you have a lot of people driving around at night....with no tail lights, because they think their headlights are on....that's what I have seen from DRL....Nope. Inacurate statement. Canadian issue vehicles have DRL's and auto lights so that as night comes, the tail lights and dash lights turn on automatically. Never worry about turning lights on - or off. We don't have those stupid warning chimes that tell you your lights are on.... Can't for the life of me figure out why the US is so hell bent on not adopting such a simple piece of technology. The only time you see someone driving without tail lights here is when it's a vehicle imported from the US and the driver has forgotten to manually turn their lights on. There was a bit of outcry when DRL's first were mandated back a couple of deacades ago, but that has long since passed.

Chase
December 5th, 2013, 04:40
Umm, you can have HID's for the DRL's in Canada, my 2003 Passat W8 uses the HID's for the running lights. No fog lights.

nistah
December 5th, 2013, 05:51
Nope. Inacurate statement. Canadian issue vehicles have DRL's and auto lights so that as night comes, the tail lights and dash lights turn on automatically. Never worry about turning lights on - or off. We don't have those stupid warning chimes that tell you your lights are on.... Can't for the life of me figure out why the US is so hell bent on not adopting such a simple piece of technology. The only time you see someone driving without tail lights here is when it's a vehicle imported from the US and the driver has forgotten to manually turn their lights on. There was a bit of outcry when DRL's first were mandated back a couple of deacades ago, but that has long since passed.

Bigglezworth thanks for your earlier post about swapping the fogs and high beams for LED's those look nice any links to where to buy the correct fit? Also were they difficult to swap out?

I think your most recent post has me totally confused because I have a canadian car, it appears that only the corner lights are used as DRL's when I have the headlamps in the off position these corner lamps are the only ones that stay lit. When I turn the low beam lights on during the day I find that as you mention nothing buzzes to remind me that I've left them on after turning the car off. Several times my neighbor has called to alert me that I've left the lights on because of the absence of the buzzer feature, I would like to know how to override the Canadian DRL's and bring my car to american spec since i live in the states.

I also desire an american Dash speedo with MPH instead of KM anyone want to trade??

Bigglezworth
December 5th, 2013, 17:53
Bigglezworth thanks for your earlier post about swapping the fogs and high beams for LED's those look nice any links to where to buy the correct fit? Also were they difficult to swap out?

I think your most recent post has me totally confused because I have a canadian car, it appears that only the corner lights are used as DRL's when I have the headlamps in the off position these corner lamps are the only ones that stay lit. When I turn the low beam lights on during the day I find that as you mention nothing buzzes to remind me that I've left them on after turning the car off. Several times my neighbor has called to alert me that I've left the lights on because of the absence of the buzzer feature, I would like to know how to override the Canadian DRL's and bring my car to american spec since i live in the states.

I also desire an american Dash speedo with MPH instead of KM anyone want to trade??I purchased a host of LED's for all my cars direct from China. lol The H7 units were $25/pair shipped. Product appears robust and has worked fine.

Your fogs should operate as the DRL's - not just the amber signal lights which I think you're referring to. I suggest you check your owners manual (guessing it's different for your specific car given that it was an '04 released outside of the US). There should be some indication on how the 'auto lighting' works. You should be able to have the switch set to auto position which tells the car to put the DRL's on during the daylight hours, turn on dash and tail lights when the light level sensor confirms available light, and controls turning off the lights when the ignition has been turned off, or the parking brake applied. Some cars have a safety feature that leaves the lights on for a couple of minutes after you turn the ignition off and exit your car to provide additional lighting around the vehicle while you leave - same feature that provides lighting around the vehicle when you disarm your alarm. Dark parkades, side streets, parking lots, etc., where security is a concern well benefit from this feature. If you young at heart and making out in the car with your favorite gal, you would want to pull the parking brake which kills the DRL's and headlights while in a parked condition.

As for overriding the DRL safety feature, you 'might' be able to do something in VAGCOM. OR - possible switch out the light switch. We can talk more via PM.

December 6th, 2013, 00:31
Nope. Inacurate statement. Canadian issue vehicles have DRL's and auto lights so that as night comes, the tail lights and dash lights turn on automatically. Never worry about turning lights on - or off. We don't have those stupid warning chimes that tell you your lights are on.... Can't for the life of me figure out why the US is so hell bent on not adopting such a simple piece of technology. The only time you see someone driving without tail lights here is when it's a vehicle imported from the US and the driver has forgotten to manually turn their lights on. There was a bit of outcry when DRL's first were mandated back a couple of deacades ago, but that has long since passed.

I like that idea......seen a lot of people driving with no lights whatsoever....

nistah
December 6th, 2013, 04:50
I purchased a host of LED's for all my cars direct from China. lol The H7 units were $25/pair shipped. Product appears robust and has worked fine.

Your fogs should operate as the DRL's - not just the amber signal lights which I think you're referring to. I suggest you check your owners manual (guessing it's different for your specific car given that it was an '04 released outside of the US). There should be some indication on how the 'auto lighting' works. You should be able to have the switch set to auto position which tells the car to put the DRL's on during the daylight hours, turn on dash and tail lights when the light level sensor confirms available light, and controls turning off the lights when the ignition has been turned off, or the parking brake applied. Some cars have a safety feature that leaves the lights on for a couple of minutes after you turn the ignition off and exit your car to provide additional lighting around the vehicle while you leave - same feature that provides lighting around the vehicle when you disarm your alarm. Dark parkades, side streets, parking lots, etc., where security is a concern well benefit from this feature. If you young at heart and making out in the car with your favorite gal, you would want to pull the parking brake which kills the DRL's and headlights while in a parked condition.

As for overriding the DRL safety feature, you 'might' be able to do something in VAGCOM. OR - possible switch out the light switch. We can talk more via PM.

Thank you sir!