PDA

View Full Version : Cleaned intercoolers and removed aux radiators

lswing
November 3rd, 2011, 03:02
The aux radiator leak led to an expanded project. Pulled both of them, one was leaking badly and other just a bit but very corroded. Pulled the extra piping and linked the hoses together, sealed up tight.

Also pulled, cleaned, and smoke tested the stock ic's, no cracks. Put back on with new Venair hoses. Feeling good at 89k miles! Also put in a new pcv valve since it affects the system.

as350
November 3rd, 2011, 13:55
lswing, can you do a short write-up on cleaning out the intercoolers? I'm at 55K and plan to do the service myself. I haven't been able to find anything online describing how to do this on our RS6s.

JSRS6
November 3rd, 2011, 14:35
All you need to do is take them to a shop and clean them in a parts washer, degrease them, wash them out, dry for a day or so.

lswing
November 3rd, 2011, 17:11
Exactly what was done, there was a decent amount of oil, not bad though. I was amazed at how bad the aux radiators had become, once that coolant starts to leak through it corrodes to all hell. Feels good having a box of parts out of that tight engine bay. Also nice to know the air flow is much improved through the IC's. Will do some extended driving this weekend, but engine temp looks the same, but it's also going to be 40-60 degrees here the next 6 months basically.