PDA

View Full Version : DIY: LED bulb turn signals (OEM lights front & rear)

SzymekCRX
October 30th, 2011, 15:04
Hi

If You ever wanted to replace traditional bulb type turn signals to LED bulbs You should know that our AUDI will inform You about the faulty bulb and present FIS error & blink very quickly.

We have to pretend that there is a resistance load over the LED bulb (the tend to consume like 1-3W instead of 21W as the normal bulb is).

We need to add an extra resistance per lide (left & right). It can be easily done using rear bulb holders.

I managed to solder extra wiring and use PC power connectors for easy connection.

What we have to connect here is a 50W resistor.

http://media.digikey.com/Photos/Yageo%20Photos/aha50ajb-3r.jpg

It should be 3-4Ohm resistor PER SIDE if we are going to install both front and tail LED for turnsignal
It should be 6-8Ohm resistor PER SIDE if we are going to install only one LED turnsignal (front or rear)

Beastly
October 30th, 2011, 18:46
for those not handy with solder, you can also use wire taps and add the resistor (as I did) in the rear (per side) which affords more space.

ben916
October 30th, 2011, 20:14
This is instead of purchasing new LED taillight where there is no ORANGE, correct?
Both turn signal and braking?????

So this would LED the rear,
Then change the side marker bulbs from OEM orange to only blink ORANGE but look silver
Then change the front to clear corner and bulbs the same as the side marker (blink ORANGE but look silver)...

nene
October 31st, 2011, 04:40
I did that many years ago. Found some drawbacks so went back to stock appeal. List below:
1. Spent lots of cash on various types of LED bulbs to see which would give best light.
2. Most of the single LED bulbs don't give enough light, and I felt that someone would not notice the lights on, or even the turn signals; sort of dangerous on the road.
3. The resistors run hot; found that to be a bit worrisome; I mean real hot to the touch.

Enjoy it.