PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod boot, 7.5" or 10"??

MNRS6
October 27th, 2011, 17:18
Does anyone know if these cars have the 7.5" inner tie rod boot (bellows) or the 10"? I can not seem to get a good answer. Took the car in for an alignment and they said the inner tie rod was rust/frozen onto the outer. Quoted me $800 to fix!! Are you kidding me? This is something I can definitely tackle myself.

Still a fun car though!!!

JSRS6
October 28th, 2011, 02:14
It's definitely easy. I did my inner and outer tie rods. I don't remember lengths, but the driver side is shorter than passenger side boot. Found that out the hard way.

4everRS
October 28th, 2011, 03:05
Welcome MNRS6. Wish I could help with your question on this. I noticed your screen name and assume your from Minnesota? I live about 100 miles north of the twin cities. Maybe in the spring we can meet up at a cars and coffee event or something.

MNRS6
October 28th, 2011, 14:32
Welcome MNRS6. Wish I could help with your question on this. I noticed your screen name and assume your from Minnesota? I live about 100 miles north of the twin cities. Maybe in the spring we can meet up at a cars and coffee event or something.

I do live in the Twin Cities. It would be great to meet up with another owner. I have been driving this car for almost 6 months now and I have only seen one other RS6. I expect it will get even more scarce this winter. I ordered one 7.5" and one 10" and I will just buy one from the dealership if I am wrong.

Thanks!!