PDA

View Full Version : Custom IC hoses?

speedtrapped
October 24th, 2011, 11:14
I'm starting to get frustrated with my vennairs. My passenger side continues to pop off. I have wagners and actually think the way the IC was mounted may be a tad off?, driver side never pops off. I use constant TQ clamps. But the vennairs could be 1/2" longer. I run a lot of boost, and I need to get this buttoned up. Any ideas?

SzymekCRX
October 24th, 2011, 13:09
I'm starting to get frustrated with my vennairs. My passenger side continues to pop off. I have wagners and actually think the way the IC was mounted may be a tad off?, driver side never pops off. I use constant TQ clamps. But the vennairs could be 1/2" longer. I run a lot of boost, and I need to get this buttoned up. Any ideas?

How much boost ? Are You sure clamps are OK ? My venairs are rock soid with stock clamps. Are You sure there is no oil or something that 'helps' clamps to jump off ?

speedtrapped
October 24th, 2011, 13:13
I run 23psi.....funny I may try stock clamps, only because the width of the clamp is narrower the Tbolt or TQ clamps....the Wagner has a very large lip, once hose is slid over, there is barely enough hose to clamp once over lip.

SzymekCRX
October 24th, 2011, 13:24
Stock + venair

JSRS6
October 24th, 2011, 13:30
Stephen, I had to resort to this, as did someone else on here recently. For the lower hose on the ic side, use a worm clamp after cleaning it up. Loosen the clamp on the ic pipe side. Tighten clamp and hose onto ic, then re-tighten on pipe side.

speedtrapped
October 24th, 2011, 13:58
ok....sounds like a DIY for saturday...Ty fellas

hahnmgh63
October 24th, 2011, 16:02
Make sure you clean the inside of the hose with some brake fluid to get all of the oil off of it, and you might even try roughing the surface up a touch with some sandpaper, but you want the hose surface right there to be dry and oil free.

skribe
October 24th, 2011, 16:23
My passenger lower IC hose is an ongoing problem... No, neither the intercooler outlet or charge pipe are bent, no, I'm not installing incorrectly.

It will go months with no problem, then POP! Off it goes again. Have tried multiple combinations of hoses and clamps, the best in my experience is a clean stock clamp and hose, perfectly aligned. (Degrease the worm screw, degrease hose and pipes, take time to ensure correct radial orientation on the charge pipe/intercooler, use a socket, not a screwdriver to torque the clamps.)

Silcone hoses do not seem to help much, my theory is that the hoses themselves are too ductile -- under heat and load they deform and balloon out before the clamp, then pop out from under it. Seems like a slightly longer and stiffer hose would be a good thing... there's got to be something out there that could be adapted.

I'm thinking at 20+ psi you're going to going to have ongoing problems...

speedtrapped
October 24th, 2011, 16:37
yeah...really the vennairs are just a hair short...and like i said, the thinkness of the wagners metal, overall diametter is a little greater then stock. I am going to ask carsten if he has a suggestion.

Lupo911
October 24th, 2011, 16:47

thats why i made new longer hoses... OEM Hoses are poping even from OEM Intercoolers, lower ones are juist a bit to short

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22245-Venair-Hoses-and-clamps

Lupo911
October 24th, 2011, 16:50
oh, and these are now in Stock at our new California Based Shop... so shipping will be faster and Cheaper

http://www.wagner-tuning.com/AUDI-RS6-C5-Intercooler-Upgrade-Silicone-Hose-Kit_p_45.html

speedtrapped
October 24th, 2011, 16:51
ahhhhh.....Then I guess i dont need a response back from Wagner tuning....TYVM

speedtrapped
October 24th, 2011, 17:04
Who's better then Wagner!....literally responds to our thread....then call my cell to make sure I knew they had a solution.....got luv that customer service. Ok, not only do I have a set of HB DV's for sale, I have a used set of venairs, Red...sell cheap ;)

skribe
October 24th, 2011, 18:40
Excellent... will be giving these a try soon :)

lswing
October 24th, 2011, 22:13
I chatted with Venaiar before ordering hoses last week. Guy said they just build to spec but would really like customer input to improve the hoses, give them a call. They also do custom for a decent price.

na1mt
October 25th, 2011, 00:28
Www.turbohoses.com I believe they will make a custom hose for you....just send them the old hose and tell them exactly how much longer you want it to be.

speedtrapped
October 25th, 2011, 02:49
Hi Ron..meh I'll take Carsten expertise, since he made the IC's, he called me immediately today from Germany and explained their version fits perfect. Now if I could send them one hose then I guess that makes sense. The wagners are the same price as the venair....$235.00 delivered.

na1mt
October 25th, 2011, 03:13
Can't say I blame you....lol. I didn't read through the entire thread just the first one or two replies before I posted.

Spidercat
October 25th, 2011, 06:28
I did the same thing JSRS6 did. Degreased, worm gear OEM clamp on intercooler side tightened w/ a hex head rachet as tight as possible, then T-bolt hard pipe side.

I wish I saw the Wagner's sooner. These will be my next step if it happens even one more time.

15 mm extra length lower intercooler hose FTW! Let us know if there are any probs. Wish I could just get the lower hoses...

kismetcapitan
October 25th, 2011, 07:35
20psi (around 1.5 bars) seems to be a tipping point on all boosted cars. I enjoyed every imaginable kind of IC hose misery, and finally went with hard aluminum pipes with silicone couplers on my GT-R. That solved the cracked hose problem I was getting with the OEM stiff hoses - unless the engine is bolted directly to the chassis with no movement whatsoever, stiff hoses are bad in that they won't pop off, but they'll crack.

To make it short, I found that clamps (after finding the right mix of T-bolt and worm gear types) gradually loosen over time, thus causing the pipes to pop. I went through and tightened every clamp every 3-6 months, but every pipe was accessible either from the engine bay or through the brake ducts in the bumper. The RS6 layout isn't so helpful in that respect.

I just went to Eurocharged Stage 2 flash; I'm fairly certain the boost is over 20psi now? I'm going to have to install a boost gauge now. Popping an intercooler hose does feel like you've just blown the engine. But a boost gauge (and especially a wideband) will tell you instantly that it's just a hose; no boost and the wideband going ultra-rich every time you touch the throttle.

speedtrapped
October 25th, 2011, 11:29
IIRC correctly I think you get hi teens on stock turbos with a stage 2, I had a boost gauge when I had a eurocharged stage 2 set up

JSRS6
October 25th, 2011, 11:29
Stage 2 is around 16.5-17 psi. Stage 2 over stage 1 is an earlier ramp up of requested boost. Peak isn't changed much.

speedtrapped
October 25th, 2011, 11:31
My my Josh u are up early.

JSRS6
October 25th, 2011, 11:33
Yes, unfortunately. Ive been having to wake up at 6 recently for work.

speedtrapped
October 25th, 2011, 11:35
If it makes u feel any better, I'm about 25 minutes from my office in NYC. 5:05am..every god damn weekday. Got my forges in, veddy nice....I have extra set of springs for ya. I am using blue...23-30 psi.

JSRS6
October 25th, 2011, 11:37
That does make my day! J/k, not about your hours, about the springs.

speedtrapped
November 5th, 2011, 20:21
changed the one vennair hose with the longer wagner IC hose. ugh, PIA especially because thee hose is longer by 15mm. took her for a spirited run, 24 psi...and held like iron. i have a pic of side by side....i'm going to get flamed, but i agree with skribe...the vennair looks bulged from heat and psi. the nylon weave in the wagner is thicker and tighter....

amanda
November 5th, 2011, 23:09
I am sure I have wagners on mine!!

speedtrapped
November 6th, 2011, 15:21
here is a side by side pic.....