PDA

View Full Version : Prototype Project: LED Headlights

nene
October 22nd, 2011, 02:41
After purchasing the Euro headlights, I had my stock set around begging for some love.
I had already done the clear headlight mod many years ago. So what to do next?

Well, I figured I'd take it part again for the heck of it.
While they are apart, I figured I could try maybe adding a strip of LEDs to the top horizontal and inner vertical section. Kind of like the Q5 style LEDs.

Not sure, will have to look around and try things out.
A thread is always sexier with some images.

http://www.htms.org/img/102011/LED_Headlight_Prototype.jpg

Benman
October 22nd, 2011, 04:30
I'm definitely subscribing to this thread! Looking forward to updates! :cheers:

4everRS
October 22nd, 2011, 05:30
I've said before that I think it is possible for our cars to look good with an updated look headlight. Even one that uses LED's. Problem is that the ones on Ebay look stupid.

Looking foreward to the results nene!

SzymekCRX
October 22nd, 2011, 06:39
After purchasing the Euro headlights, I had my stock set around begging for some love.
I had already done the clear headlight mod many years ago. So what to do next?

Well, I figured I'd take it part again for the heck of it.
While they are apart, I figured I could try maybe adding a strip of LEDs to the top horizontal and inner vertical section. Kind of like the Q5 style LEDs.

Not sure, will have to look around and try things out.
A thread is always sexier with some images.

If this is a prototype do You have any diagram of what You want to achieve ? :) I've been thinking about the very silimar idea. Do You want just to stick a number of LEDs inside and around the two edges ?

JSRS6
October 22nd, 2011, 12:31
I have an idea for this, and I think to do it right, you would need to measure and drill from the back into that edge, making sure to keep the angle the same. Insert LEDs, then clip the negatives so that when you bend it to the next led, it barely touches. Quick little bit of solder to connect all the negatives, then a little Epoxy over all the neg leads. Do the same thing for the positive leads. Make sure you buy quality LEDs and test prior cause you don't want to go through the install and find out they aren't all working. Also goes for the soldering, just a tiny bit, don't wanna melt plastic or burn out LEDs. ideally when you insert the LEDs into the drilled holes, you would orient the leads vertically and transition to horizontally around the curve. When done, you would have a positive and negative at either the bottom inner or top outer corner. Trim that and solder a red(+) and black(-) wire to that and tie it into a ground and a switched power source so that they come on automatically when you turn on the car.

nene
October 22nd, 2011, 12:34
I've just started to formulate the plans in my head in the past 24 hours.

I had a 2008 TT for about 3 months, and got the TT Euros with the LEDs at the bottom. The TT I bought did not come with those.
I think they are a bit high for this project and won't look so good I think. But I am tempted to open up those headlight assemblies as well to check it out. I think the curvature may work to my advantage, but would require some work in making it look factory.

Going to the local electronics store. There is a great one 'U-Do-It Electronics' a few miles away, and I'll see what they got on display to play with.

Plenty of online sources for all types of LED strips and other types. Will check into that a bit more as well, after the electronics store and the TT headlight assembly thought process fades.

The mirrored piece with the lens shown above is metal. That will be a bit difficult to work with. The edges become sort of hidden once you connect the plastic clear front.
So, the only options are:
1. Get creative with the sliver in the center going vertical, between lens and turn signal; different but not really Audi I think.
2. Use either the bottom or the top strip that goes from inner part of the assembly towards the turn signal. The section that is stuck to the plastic front is also plastic, and can be easily manipulated. I'll take some shots and share with the group.

As always, I am happy to entertain some of your ideas. Keep in mind that I have no concrete plan as of yet. So anything goes.
This could be a group project in the end.
I want the prototype to look as close as factory as possible. Not something just put together in 15 minutes.

JSRS6
October 22nd, 2011, 12:49
Maybe you could take a smd led strip and glue it along the inside here:

http://i1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa403/jsrs6/26f833e5.jpg

They can be trimmed to length you need.

hahnmgh63
October 22nd, 2011, 15:55
Do a Google search for Audi LED headlights then click on the Images tab and you can see a lot of the different Audi Headlight models. You do get a few other manufacturers mxed in there too.

nene
October 23rd, 2011, 18:00
It does appear that the plastic piece between the assembly and the plastic front is the best place to put it on. Please see images below of front and back side of the trim.
The space is very little there, so the LEDs have to be considerably smaller than other Audi models.

For US headlight assemblies, the turn signal also works as a driving lights.
For Euro headlight assemblies, the turn signal is alone, while there is a bulb between regular and high beams that are used for driving lights. So the options for connections are different there.
I would like to have the LEDs come on with driving lights, which is the first turn of the knob.

http://www.htms.org/img/102011/LED_Headlight/InnerPlastic1.jpg

http://www.htms.org/img/102011/LED_Headlight/InnerPlastic1_backside.jpg

JSRS6
October 23rd, 2011, 18:36
ya know, i was thinking the same thing after taking a look at my headlights the other day. outside the front would be a lot easier. Inside from the back would take a LOT more work getting the drill holes just right.

aussie rs6
October 23rd, 2011, 19:01
ya know, i was thinking the same thing after taking a look at my headlights the other day. outside the front would be a lot easier. Inside from the back would take a LOT more work getting the drill holes just right.

You can try the A6 4B daylight running headlights from Dectane:

https://www.dectane.de/D-LITE-Headlights/Dlite-AUDI/AUDI-A6-/

It Seems the easy way to try first.

As an alternative ,I have ordered a set of the chrome LED strip headlights from JDM ."Super Bright Audi A5 R8 Style Xenon White 12" 15 SMD SMD SMT Flexible LED Strip Lights".

http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Audi-Style-LED-Strip-Lights-Daytime-Running-DRL-Lamps-s/124.htm

I am looking at placing this LED strip just under the bumper and on the top flat edge of the intercooler grill on the Wagner grills that i have. The strips I have bought are thin and long enough, are self adhesive and very bright. very inexpensive at ~$18 for the pair of strips. I would wire them in to replace the fog lights that i have removed using the foglight switch position, although may have to add in a resistor so dont get blown bulb display- not sure about this.

There are other alternatives from ijdmtoy which are a bit dearer.

visit: http://store.ijdmtoy.com/Audi-Porsche-Volkswagen-LED-Bulbs-HID-Lights-s/101.htm

:rs6kiss::rs6kiss::rs6kiss:
regards,
john

arS6
November 13th, 2011, 03:17
ANy updates?

aussie rs6
November 13th, 2011, 07:47
ANy updates?

have taped up and connected to 12 v battery to see how LED strip looks and how bright.

looks ok. have not connected to euro fog light terminals - removed fog lights when installed wagners.
Strangely enough, here in western australia, it is illegal to drive in the day or night with fog lights on when no fog. we rarely ever see fog here-climate similar to southern California. Although ok to have led daylight running lights.:rolleyes: Go figure, as you guys say.

Next project is to hook up LED strip to in car terminals to see how looks in real life on road after fit C6 brakes and calipers next month.
:addict::addict::addict:

OTT:I had the great pleasure of living in Sacramento in the mid 70's when jerry brown was 'running ' the place. I cannot believe Brown is still on the scene and wants to come back to wreak more havoc on California! Brown truly exemplified the Q &A for his ilk: "why is California like a bowl of Granola? After you take away the fruits and nuts, all you are left with are the flakes!". A great place ruined by politicians and self interest groups IMHO.