PDA

View Full Version : auxiliary radiator removal

lswing
October 20th, 2011, 21:53
Ok, I searched and searched, found a few details, no main thread. Got a leaking one, thinking of doing the removal instead of replace. Like the idea of the air moving better down there, less head soak off the IC's. Any advice or details? Plan is to connect the hoses together and remove as others have done.

JSRS6
October 20th, 2011, 22:47
That's really all there is to it. Will do this when I get a chance. All you need is some same diameter hose and clamps. Remove the aux radiator and complete the circuit, then tie out of the way.

kismetcapitan
October 20th, 2011, 23:04
sometimes when I start my car, I hear water trickling around on the driver's side...I guess this is the radiator, bleeding itself? Or maybe mine is leaking out as well? I'm losing coolant, but very, very slowly.

lswing
October 20th, 2011, 23:07
sometimes when I start my car, I hear water trickling around on the driver's side...I guess this is the radiator, bleeding itself? Or maybe mine is leaking out as well? I'm losing coolant, but very, very slowly.

Hmmm, interesting, i get the same water trickling on my driver side when I start up and move. It's my drivers side that is leaking. Maybe it leaks overnight, then coolant from the reserve tank trickles over to fill back up? Seems plausible...

Don't see a need for them anyhow, certainly not here in the NW.

My mechanic thinks he can pull them without removing the IC's, true? If the IC's need to be moved too I might just put some Wagners in, although $2k is a good amount...

ben916
October 21st, 2011, 00:24
ER I/C are "pending" but Riccardo @ Raven has a pair and they are BEEFY!!!

I have a photo somewhere around here...

hahnmgh63
October 21st, 2011, 00:49
SteveKen posted one of the ETKA pics here and look at the NAPA Balkamp plugs he used. I cheated and just looked at the part #'s in his pics and ordered a few of each and used them myself so I have to give him credit.
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22631-Manual-Conversion-Thread-RS6-with-01E/page4
I removed pipes 8, 24, & 32 which are next to impossible to get at with the engine in the car so you will probably just pull the hoses and leave the pipes in place. They are aluminum and really don't weight much at all but my engine was out and I'm anal about having anything extra there, that is why when I went with the KW's I removed all of the cross pipes instead of just plugging them. Only a fool would ever go back to DRC.

JSRS6
October 21st, 2011, 00:52
I also removed all the drc pipes. I think there might be a couple of short lengths over the fuel tank that I couldn't get to easily.

Brav
October 21st, 2011, 03:28
BTW I just got to drive Riccardo's car today, after I had them inspect my car :D.

that thing is FAST!

ben916
October 21st, 2011, 04:43
BTW I just got to drive Riccardo's car today, after I had them inspect my car :D.

that thing is FAST!

Yes it is!
He has an EPL tune so it does VERY well!
The clutch is a little snatchy...

January 5th, 2012, 15:02
Any one ever have any trouble with overheating with the aux radiator delete? I/C's are out for leaks and it would be very easy to do it now.

marklar182
January 5th, 2012, 15:50
Any one ever have any trouble with overheating with the aux radiator delete? I/C's are out for leaks and it would be very easy to do it now.

In your climate, probably not.

For us Southerners, yes we would have issues.

lswing
January 5th, 2012, 16:16

Been running perfect here for 3 months, of course its been 40-60 degrees...

Brav
January 5th, 2012, 19:04
OT: I was just in Park City over NYE, where was the snow?!?

hahnmgh63
January 5th, 2012, 19:22
Remember, most of the RS6's sold in Europe never came with the Aux radiators so overheating, even in Tx probably wouldn't be a problem unless you do a lot of stop & go city driving which you don't see a lot of in Europe. I only have a little over 500miles on mine since I removed them and it is winter so no noticeable change here obviously.

speedtrapped
January 5th, 2012, 21:15
Mine been off for 8 months, got pretty hot here in summer, 90+ degree weather, never went above the center of the temp gauge.

January 6th, 2012, 14:50
Thanks. RS will probably go to Bonneville this summer, so I'd like to keep the cooling. If I can get the stock I'C's to seal, the aux radiators will go back on. Otherwise it will be aftermarket I/C's with no aux radiator. The way the weather has been in Park City, I might need the aux radiators for winter!

lswing
January 6th, 2012, 16:14
Thanks. RS will probably go to Bonneville this summer, so I'd like to keep the cooling. If I can get the stock I'C's to seal, the aux radiators will go back on. Otherwise it will be aftermarket I/C's with no aux radiator. The way the weather has been in Park City, I might need the aux radiators for winter!

The Wagners come with a holder for the aux radiators. I might lean to removing those aux radiators as a preventative measure as mine were both leaking. One was horribly corroded and the other corroded and cracked. If yours are clean maybe it's a different story. Good luck with the work and trip!