PDA

View Full Version : On-going question on O2 sensor

cruzanrs6
October 20th, 2011, 18:26
Thanks on the sourcing options. I need to replace both rears the dealer quoted about 2 hrs and $180/sensor. I inquired about the fronts - same p/n for the parts but said the engine would need to be dropped (about $1800 labor) OUCH !! Is this true ? I have about 85K on the car now and really don't feel need to do the fronts. The rears appear to have failed due to mechanical damage to the exhaust - the pipe from the silencer to the mid muffler became pinched/crushed - limited exhaust output. Any guidance would be much appreciated. Also have others had no issue with the Bosch sensors over the OEM (that are about $75 ea less).

Thanks Again!

hahnmgh63
October 20th, 2011, 18:41
The OEM are Bosch, by getting the sensors from the dealer you get the same part but in a Audi/VW box and it has the OEM part # stamped on it right next to the Bosch part #. A lot to pay for all of that.

JSRS6
October 20th, 2011, 18:41
IIRC, OEM are bosch.

JSRS6
October 20th, 2011, 18:43
Missed it by that much!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-nWpydXTXVdE/TlTuy_t27dI/AAAAAAAADlo/l4ZgVxOJTA4/s1600/maxwellsmart_missed_it_by_that_much.jpg

hahnmgh63
October 20th, 2011, 18:53
Need to type faster. When they actually put me on a desk for part of the day I have nothing better than surf the internet and be ready to answer posts :)

JSRS6
October 20th, 2011, 19:06
See, i think its just the LAN here, cause both of our time stamps are the same. But i digress. I am at a desk as well...

hahnmgh63
October 20th, 2011, 19:13
Are you saying that USAF computers are faster than USN?

Elevens
October 20th, 2011, 20:30
P/N for Front's (pre-cat):

077906265AF

Bosch 16544

Best Price I've seen: http://www.theautopartsshop.com/oxygen-sensor/bs16544.html

Engine has to be lowered to gain access to the Front Sensors, but not removed.............................

JSRS6
October 20th, 2011, 20:30
Ummmm, yeah.....

hahnmgh63
October 20th, 2011, 21:23
Oh, and I actually found the cheapest place was on Amazon. Their prices can vary week to week depending on who the supplier is.

Elevens
October 20th, 2011, 21:28
Oh, and I actually found the cheapest place was on Amazon. Their prices can vary week to week depending on who the supplier is.

Yeah when I bought mine Amazon had the Cheapest price. I couldn't find any fronts on Amazon right now though...................

hahnmgh63
October 21st, 2011, 01:06
Yea, the rears can fairly easily be done from underneath although the wires to the connector plugs goes over the top of the tranny and comes up the back of the firewall but can tie a string onto each plug when disconnected and plulled out from underneath with the two rear O2 sensors. Then use the strings to pull each connector up from underneath.
For the fronts I have heard of Grizz (Unit20) doing them with the engine tilted down but it would be pretty tight. See if Pat (V8weight) chimes in, I'm not sure if he has done it that way but he would probably know. The dealer procedure is to pull the engine though.

4everRS
October 21st, 2011, 02:36
Pat and I did mine with a "tilted" engine. Best on a lift, but possible without. Transverse bar on top. Airbox needs to be removed, to gain access to engine lift tab. Remove rear (6) cradle bolts, and loosen fronts large bolt on each side. Lower rear of engine using transverse bar. This gives enough access to take out the sensors. It's still tight.

I imagine you could also do it without the lift or transverse bar. If you had a jack (with good range) under the trans, you could likely support the engine that way as well, and slowly lower when cradle bolts are removed and loosened. I guess a lift and post-jack would also accomplish this.

Don't pay 1800 for this.

cruzanrs6
October 21st, 2011, 18:50
How much time do you estimate was involved ?

4everRS
October 22nd, 2011, 05:21
We replaced downpipes as well. It took about 7 hours. I would say if only doing O2's, should be able to do it in 3 to 4.