PDA

View Full Version : Your thoughts on a white RS6

2manycars
October 12th, 2003, 20:49
I just bought an 03 E55, and frankly, it is not nearly as much fun as the RS6. MY dealer has a white (special ordered) available now, but I wonder if I bought it, come resale time the value woul dbe much lower due to the "different color?" I am going to look at it tomorrow, but I can not imagine I will like the color much.

My dealers GM loves white cars, and custom ordered this one so it would match the Audi race color.

Any thoughts?

AvusRS6
October 12th, 2003, 21:14
Originally posted by 2manycars
I just bought an 03 E55, and frankly, it is not nearly as much fun as the RS6. MY dealer has a white (special ordered) available now, but I wonder if I bought it, come resale time the value woul dbe much lower due to the "different color?" I am going to look at it tomorrow, but I can not imagine I will like the color much.

My dealers GM loves white cars, and custom ordered this one so it would match the Audi race color.

Any thoughts?

I don't know if white would actually hurt resale, but I know I was told that Black is the easiest color to sell.

iconcls
October 12th, 2003, 21:54
the white A6's I have seen on the road were pleasant looking so I imagine an RS be even more so. You also have the one-off thing for even more "exclusiveness."

As far as resale, ahhh, if you like it, who cares, I can't see white having that much of an impact. Besides, I would think you would be immune to the sting of depreciation given your car buying habits (haha).:) ;)

oregonbob
October 12th, 2003, 22:58
I had two E39 M5's - one white, the other silver. Both sold quickly and for good prices.

When I did the research for a sales price on those cars, I had my dealer pull up recent auctions. The red and blue M5's were bringing $2000-$5000 less than the blacks and silvers. No whites had recently sold to compare against.

Historically, silver and black German luxury sedans are easiest to sell. This is because the typical buyer of those cars wants a "rich" color. I'm not sure RS6 buyers would be considered "typical". Next are "basic" colors which, in my opinion, includes white. The hard ones to sell are the bright colors. Not because they are "bad" but it takes a certain person to buy an RS6 and a certain person to buy a bright color. To sell a bright colored RS6 requires you finding a subset of both where the two kinds of people intersect. It's a smaller market. Find the right buyer and it's an easy sale. Don't find the right buyer, and you may need to price accordingly to move the vehicle.

That's a long way of saying I don't think white will matter much. Since you've been trading through a dealer in the past and I assume you'll do so in the future, the price delta between white and other colors will be negligible for a car at this price. Given your history and desire for an RS6, I'd buy the car and take comfort that you have an RS6 again - and a unique color RS6 on top of that! It'll make for some great story telling.

Good luck.

Bob

nene
October 12th, 2003, 23:23
Personally I think an RS6 in white would kick arse.
One example is the current BMW M5. When I was thinking about getting one, I had never seen it in that color. But just recently I actually saw one on the road, and it was really awesome looking.

I do like white cars though, as my 540i and CLK 430 are both white. I really think white is a nice color for a larger size car.

Mr. Fru-T Pants
October 13th, 2003, 00:01
"subset....intersect"

"price delta..."

Are you in marketing, oregonbob?

;-)

Alan
October 13th, 2003, 00:28
The contrast between the white of the body and the black/chrome trim will be striking. As far as resale, my experience in selling/ trading in a number of "hot" cars of "not popular" colors is that they all sold at what I considered to be reasonable prices. Enjoy your rare car (BTW, my C4S is Orient Red, and one of the few in existence. I bought it off the lot because a customer cancelled the order. I told the dealer that I would take it if he gave me substantial discount, since it was not a desirable color. This was at a time when discounts were not given on the new C4S model. He gave me a 4K discount on the car. Act like you're doing him a favor by buying the car - maybe you can get a better deal since it is this unusual white custom order.

Benman
October 13th, 2003, 02:37
Originally posted by 2manycars
I just bought an 03 E55, and frankly, it is not nearly as much fun as the RS6. MY dealer has a white (special ordered) available now, but I wonder if I bought it, come resale time the value woul dbe much lower due to the "different color?"
Any thoughts?

I'm surprised you're even a LITTLE concerned with resale considering you just got SCREWED $15,000.00 (not including all the tax/ registration garbage) with you're last transaction.:confused: :confused:

rs6w
October 13th, 2003, 07:16
Put the rings like they have on the racing car and you'd be set!:D

Bauer
October 13th, 2003, 17:19
To me it would all come down to if I LIKE the color as walking into my garage and saying,"I should have gotten a different color" is someting I would not want to say evey morning.

Have you tried to call around to other dealers to ask is they have any RS6's in colors you like?

As far as depreciation, my thoughts are that you are already in to it this far who cares about depreciation?:cheers:

Erik
October 13th, 2003, 17:49
I've seen a white A6 with black trim. Looked very nice!

oregonbob
October 13th, 2003, 18:06
Yes, I'm a marketing guy. Was it that obvious??? :-)

Mr. Fru-T Pants
October 13th, 2003, 18:13
Yep! But...

Takes one to know one...

Fruitman

2manycars
October 13th, 2003, 22:01
I did it again. Dumping the E55 (lost only 6K) picking up the white RS6-has Nav, which I hate in this car (splits 2 blocks from my home). My wife says "I give up, but at least it doesn't have the as she calls it "obnoxious exhaust." I liked the loud exhaust.

So I am back to square one-I did get an incredible deal in order for them to assure my only having cars from them.

03 RS6
04 A4 cab. quattro-my wifes
02-VW Passat
03-VW GTI anniversary edition-My son's

Yes folks I realize this is not normal.

Bauer
October 13th, 2003, 22:04
2manycars,

Let me be the first to say welcome back........and hopefully for a little longer stay:hihi:

iconcls
October 13th, 2003, 22:08
2manycars,

Dude, you are a madman; but you're back where you belong.:)

You have to post pics ASAP, I really want to see the white.:)

Erik
October 13th, 2003, 22:13
A warm welcome back! :addict: :cheers:

Please send any pics to me erikb@rs6.com and I'll host them if you like.

2manycars
October 14th, 2003, 01:15
It is good to be back, and I can truly say, at least for myself, there is no comparison between the E55 and the RS6. I drove the RS6 again today just to be sure, and once again, I felt totally connected to the car. The engine and AWD combined to make this really a drivers car. The E55 is fast but always felt like it was a luxury car, with a sporty engine that somehow didn't really "come together."

As far as beeing a madman. I can not argue there. My wife has given up, and doen't even argue with me about my cars anymore. I will run out of numbers for the insurance company to use soon, and they are not sure what they will do when I reach number 100. It has been suggested that I write a book about my experiences, and I may just do that.

It is good to back on this board. THe E55 board was Ok but not as informative, again in my opinion.

By the way, the new car has the almost useless Navigation system. I wish I could delete it and continue to use my garmin IQUE 3600 Navigation Palm unit. It works as well, and doesn't split New Jersey sevearl blocks from my home? I also hope they continue to provide updates, since the new cars will use DVD (finally).

Enough rambling, tomorrow at 11:00 or so I wil be on RS6 number two.

2manycars
October 14th, 2003, 01:24
My dealer as I stated gave me a very large discount, and states that they are still selling for list all over the country. Is this true, and if it is indeed they did give me an amazing price on this car. I also had him include the Sudi snow tire package as part of the deal. God willing I will still have the car when the winter actually arrives here.