PDA

View Full Version : New RS6 owner... where to start?

BM...what?
October 18th, 2011, 21:14
Hey guys, I'm picking up a 2003 RS6 in the spring. I'm still shopping around, but working at an Audi dealership, it'll be easy enough to find a solid example.

So I'm curious about where to start and where to buy proper tuning upgrades to extend the life and performance of the car. From what I've read, and my professional experience, the torque converter is really the only downfall for the vehicle. I'd like to do the ECU flash first, as the power increase is incredible. Should I get the TCU done at the same time, or before? I go to the track a lot, she is going to be under a fair bit of stress.

Is there a company that will do both at the same time? And who would you recommend?

Finally I plan to gut the cat's after watching 10Sec4's countless videos. I'm not sure about going with a full exhaust, any opinions on gutted cats vs. full turbo back exhaust?

Thanks guys!

Look forward to eating some Big Money Wasters !

speedtrapped
October 18th, 2011, 21:23
Gut the cats....in fact go straight pipe, there are tuners that delete out the o2's....the catback adds a little sound....If u plan on tracking, then def get both ecu/tcu done. I know Viper sells combo(excellent rep, not cheap), MTM@Hoppen does, or Eurocharged, proven as well and then ship tour tcu to hoppen($167.00 shoipped backed, best $ spent). Also might want to consider, an example with coil overs and better sway bars, if ur tracking.

Amar
October 18th, 2011, 23:16
How long should it take a mechanic to gutt the RS6 ? Is it a big job?
Good luck in your search BM...What? You've made a great choice.

kismetcapitan
October 19th, 2011, 00:36
- ECU and TCU first
- redo the entire suspension
- focus more on getting rid of the four catalytic converters than the resonators and muffler
- keep up with the myriad maintenance details
- cost/benefit is most with downpipes, less so with intercoolers and intake

Amar
October 19th, 2011, 00:52
Good list but I'd say do the ECU and get rid of the cats at the same time as they need to be programmed out. Saves you having to pay to get it remapped all over again, unless they just charge you to 'tweak' it. I'll be using Viper Tuning to do mine.

BM...what?
October 19th, 2011, 03:26
Thanks fort he replies guys

Also might want to consider, an example with coil overs and better sway bars, if ur tracking.

So she'll have some body roll out of the box eh? Good to know when shopping!

As for the torque converter, is it cheaper to replace it, or upgrade tranny? I don't plan to pump out more than 550 crank if that. If I set it up right it'll be a lot more car than the driver can handle for a few years on the track ;)

I guess my real question with the exhaust was, will gutting the cats provide similar hp and tq increase as a full turbo back system? Ideally I suppose both. But it's not going to happen over night. I plan to tool with this car until I'm bored of her...

kismetcapitan
October 19th, 2011, 06:41
apparently the real backpressure producing elements in the RS6 exhaust are the cats; hence, removing those gains you the most power. Straight pipes from the turbos is of course best, but you'll have to have your ECU mapped for it.

The car rolls, but far less than you imagine. It's also a lot stiffer and rides harder stock than you'd expect. Nonetheless, for track days, this isn't the car I'd choose - far from it. I bought it to be a daily commuter and for long-haul road trips.

Level 10 does transmission upgrades. I was fortunate to find a car that had just recently had Level 10 work done on it to beef it up a bit.