PDA

View Full Version : Driving the R8

as350
October 16th, 2011, 20:59
Completely off topic. Last week was the 10th or 11th annual TT-EAST meeting. This year it started in New Paltz, NY, with several scenic roads up through the Catskills and Adirondacks. We ended in Lake Placid for 3 days with more driving events. If I counted correctly, there were 19 Audi TTs that participated.

AUDI USA showed up with an R8 Spyder and a Special Edition TT-S. I drove the R8 for a bit and was amazed at how easy that mid-engine sports car was to drive. It feels much smaller once you are strapped in and it goes wherever you point the steering wheel. I never felt like I got close to its handling limit, and I was going pretty damn fast in the twisties. I couldn't get it to understeer or oversteer, it is very well balanced. It doesn't have the brute power and punch-in-the-gut acceleration of our biturbo engines, but it is still wicked fast. The acceleration is more measured and the engine really starts singing between about 5500 and 8000 rpm.

4everRS
October 17th, 2011, 03:10
Sounds like a Great time! A spyder would really be a blast. I'll agree with you on the "punch-in-the-gut" comment as well. They couldn't keep up in the track event I was at recently. Actually, my best lap times were 2.05, and an instructor (read expirenenced) took an R8(v8) out and his best time was 2.03.

aussie rs6
December 3rd, 2011, 14:57
Is your R8 missing that "brute power and RS6 punch-in-the gut acceleration"?

try this out;

http://www.heffnersperformance.com/

checkout the Audi R8 , both v8 and v10. makes your R8 a two door C5 or C6 RS6!

aussie rs6
December 3rd, 2011, 15:37
for a little more punch, checkout this R8 and the video. Would scare little children!

http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/09/24/video-underground-racing-audi-r8-twin-turbo/

However, only seats 2, unlike our beasts!

kismetcapitan
December 3rd, 2011, 20:11
that's one thing I miss with the RS6 - turbo whistle. I love the whoosh of the intakes, followed by the whistling scream of twin turbos, finished by the pish of a blow off valve. I'll be spending christmas in Korea with my Skyline; it'll be interesting to be reacquainted with that very different twin turbo experience.

as350
December 3rd, 2011, 23:09
for a little more punch, checkout this R8 and the video. Would scare little children!

http://www.gtspirit.com/2011/09/24/video-underground-racing-audi-r8-twin-turbo/

However, only seats 2, unlike our beasts!

Oh, the sound....

TJ: Aussie RS6, I will be in Melbourne over Christmas and New Year's flying "Elvis" - any chance you're going to be in the neighborhood?

aussie rs6
December 4th, 2011, 17:32
Oh, the sound....

TJ: Aussie RS6, I will be in Melbourne over Christmas and New Year's flying "Elvis" - any chance you're going to be in the neighborhood?

I am on the other side of the country in Perth and will be spending xmas- new year in perth with my new xmas present to myself-doing a comparo on my C5 RS6-avus silver and C6 RS6- phantom black saloon.

We in oz appreciate pilots like you flying Elvis. I do hope you don't get any hours in the air, but we are expecting all over oz a very "bad bush fire " season ("brush fire" in the US) as have had wet winter and lot of grass fuel load to burn this summer through December 2011 and January 2012.

We have already had bad bush fires in WA in sw margaret river area last week as you can see from this news video. About 40 homes gone in this surfing and vineyard playground with quite a few "high end weekenders".

http://video.heraldsun.com.au/2170433116/Another-fire-near-Margaret-River

We sure could have used "Elvis" here!

all the best for your trip to Oz.

john

ps Note that SallyH is in Melbourne and has a modded C6 RS6 and also johnny27 a modded C5 RS6.

:addict::addict::rs6kiss::rs6kiss:

as350
December 4th, 2011, 18:29
John,

I hope you'll share your findings of your C5 vs C6 comparo....

I was in Melbourne getting the helicopter ready for the fire season when the Margaret River fires struck. I hope this is not a precursor of what's in store this summer. We will have a skycrane based in Perth in a bit - sure could have used it last week.

- Andy