PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on my color change.

Sgrgerman
October 12th, 2011, 21:14
I wanted to get some feedback on my RS6. First off, I own a wrecking yard and this car has a salvage title. I would not have changed the color if it wasnt a branded title. I have had a few Porsche's and for the money, this car blows my mind, I love it. So I wanted to be different and had a friend mix up this color for me. We blocked the car, 3 coats of paint, 3 coats of clear and color sanded and buffed each panel off the car before reassembly. Every panel, clip, moulding and or trim was removed and painted seperately. We are going to paint the firewall area this winter if I can find some catless downpipes. I wanted it to stand out and I wanted to represent the Audi badge and not be so sedan like around my Porsche friends. Let me know what you think. Thanks alot.

MaxRS6
October 12th, 2011, 21:39
Call me crazy too- but I like it for the uniqueness..Enjoy it!

Brav
October 12th, 2011, 22:03
Like it.. but not the semi blacked out headlights. IMHO, should be clear.. not EVERYthing should be blacked out. Just trim and wheels :)

Spidercat
October 12th, 2011, 22:11
+2
Wow! You certainly appear to have done it right. A real labor of love.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the black roof (you did ask for opinions...) but it's your car. I think all the blacked-out parts otherwise look dynamite with that body color! Glad to see that you did NOT black-out the tails like a Mazda/TeRD/Honda.

Also, personally, I'd put the badge back on the rear (don't want to look like just another modded A6). I think stealth and subtlety are foregone conclusions right now anyway...

DonS
October 12th, 2011, 22:32
Now that is a bold statement. Looks like nice workmanship too. I love it!

ttboost
October 12th, 2011, 23:01
I don't think I hate it?

vitalian
October 13th, 2011, 00:00
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I'm not feelin' that color on an RS6. To each her own, though.:)

But the workmanship is clearly first-rate, and if your goal is to stand out among your Porsche buddies, mission accomplished!

Sgrgerman
October 13th, 2011, 00:04
Thanks for all the comments, I was kinda worried I was going to far out there. I kind of agree with the roof, but I did it matte black to break the blue up, it is a big car to be this color. Its never too late to paint it. I am going to put the emblems on but this is the first day driving it after reassembly.

twinsteve
October 13th, 2011, 00:06
I love it from top to bottom....awesome job!

SAF
October 13th, 2011, 00:26
I say go for smoked tails. Would finish it off nicely.

JSRS6
October 13th, 2011, 00:57
Wow! More pics! And I am personally a fan of my/your headlights.

skribe
October 13th, 2011, 01:01
I stand corrected. I love it. You better make damn sure it's running strong though! :hihi:

streetsoffire
October 13th, 2011, 02:24
Looks like a quality job.........and it would turn my head everytime I see it.......not your run-of-the-mill color; so, props to you.

chrisaudi4.2
October 13th, 2011, 03:27
love it,look's really good.

Elevens
October 13th, 2011, 03:40
Didn't like it at first, but the more I look at it is the more I like it. I would have retained the RS only Brushed mirrors and Blackened those Exhaust tips. And definitely Re-badge it. Too plane back there. All in all, it looks quite good............................

ben916
October 13th, 2011, 06:26
I like that you took up the challenge to be different!

Something is missing and I can't quite put my finger on it:
To me, the color makes the hood look longer and missing something...
Also, the body panels look long and without bulging flares..

Are those 18's or 19's? It might be an optical illusion but they look small?!?!

Erik
October 13th, 2011, 06:34
You've got an "OK" from me. Like it!

Someone posted a gallery with an RS6 V10 in the same color recently.

http://www.audi-individual.com/rs-series/rs6

http://www.audi-individual.com/images/stories/rs6-mexicoblue01/rs6-mexicoblue01.jpg

RSSIK
October 13th, 2011, 18:21
For sure its different and I love it for being so. Great choice and color combo. Great details on paint work. Good luck with it.

Spidercat
October 14th, 2011, 01:58
Yeah, +1 on black exhaust tips.

streetsoffire
October 18th, 2011, 03:14
On the subject of the mirrors: did you change out the housings or...............?????

ntrcptr
October 18th, 2011, 20:12
I wanted to get some feedback on my RS6. First off, I own a wrecking yard and this car has a salvage title. I would not have changed the color if it wasnt a branded title. I have had a few Porsche's and for the money, this car blows my mind, I love it. So I wanted to be different and had a friend mix up this color for me. We blocked the car, 3 coats of paint, 3 coats of clear and color sanded and buffed each panel off the car before reassembly. Every panel, clip, moulding and or trim was removed and painted seperately. We are going to paint the firewall area this winter if I can find some catless downpipes. I wanted it to stand out and I wanted to represent the Audi badge and not be so sedan like around my Porsche friends. Let me know what you think. Thanks alot.

your no longer "clandistine"....(has its merits/downside)...I think thumbs up...

Benman
October 20th, 2011, 05:07
I hate to be Debbie Downer, but I'm not feelin' that color on an RS6. To each her own, though.:)

But the workmanship is clearly first-rate, and if your goal is to stand out among your Porsche buddies, mission accomplished!

I'd have to agree with this. Not feeling that color on The Beast. But much respect for the commitment you had to at least do it right. :cheers:

It is your Beast not mine, so the point is YOU enjoy it! As for the black roof, I actually think you were right to *try* to break up some of the blue.

Sgrgerman
October 20th, 2011, 21:59
I did change the housings, we have so many A4 mirrors that I took some covers and had them sprayed. I do agree, tips are going to be blacked out soon.

Sgrgerman
October 20th, 2011, 22:09
Wheels are 20's (ASA) brand with goodyear tires, got them at tire rack, not extremely happy with them but i have yet to find some wheels that I truely like. Car has Millitek sport cats and exhaust, KW coilovers, Hotchkiss sway bars and Stern adjustable control arms and an APR chipped transmission computer. Still doing some research on the engine computer chip but it looks like Viper is the best one around. Thanks for all the comments both ways, I know in these forums you cant please them all, but everyone here has been awesome...thanks again

JSRS6
October 20th, 2011, 22:53
When you go viper, do the ecu AND tcu.

4everRS
October 21st, 2011, 02:45
Odd that someone did the APR TCU but not the ECU. Are you sure it doesn't have APR EC?. I didn't realize that mine had it for the first year I owned it - long story. I cracked open the ECU and found the chip. I was really excited. My wife thought I was nuts.
Wheels are 20's (ASA) brand with goodyear tires, got them at tire rack, not extremely happy with them but i have yet to find some wheels that I truely like. Car has Millitek sport cats and exhaust, KW coilovers, Hotchkiss sway bars and Stern adjustable control arms and an APR chipped transmission computer. Still doing some research on the engine computer chip but it looks like Viper is the best one around. Thanks for all the comments both ways, I know in these forums you cant please them all, but everyone here has been awesome...thanks again

Sgrgerman
October 21st, 2011, 04:47
i thought so also, but i opened both the ecu and tcu when i bought it and only the tcu had a chip

Sgrgerman
October 21st, 2011, 04:47
and my wife thinks i am nuts too, she says i spend too much time caring for this car

LIRS6
October 21st, 2011, 16:04
and my wife thinks i am nuts too, she says i spend too much time caring for this car
Get used to it - my wife refers to mine as my "girlfriend." I'll pipe in here ref the look - I'm mixed .. I like the front, but the rear just looks too awash in the same color. Def need the tips blackened as others/you have said. Maybe re-badging would help in the rear .. here's a thought - paint the spoiler black - that would break up the rear and compliment the roof.
Bottom line - it's your car, you did the work, enjoy it. Oh, and the wheels look great!

Spidercat
October 21st, 2011, 22:03
Also, putting the Audi rings back on will help. Didn't notice they were missing the first time around.
My opinion would be to black them out as well.

Benman
October 22nd, 2011, 04:41
Also, putting the Audi rings back on will help. Didn't notice they were missing the first time around.
My opinion would be to black them out as well.Agreed. That'd be a nice touch and would go well with the roof, trim and mirrors.