PDA

View Full Version : Valve colver - serious gasket issue

SzymekCRX
October 12th, 2011, 17:22
Hi

I have a serious problem with my boost leak and valve gasket. I've replaced main valve cover gasket on the driver side and found a new place that is leaking just next to the old one...

It is marked red on the photos that are attached. The blue colour (part no. 16 on the diagram) designates the faulty element (and gasket underneath).

Is it possible to remove this part (no. 16) and replace gasket (no. 17) WITHOUT removing engine/timing belt/etc ?

From what I have discovered the cam chain is holding this thing together...

Please help me, I'm doing everything in my small so-called garage (public garage :lovl:)

PS.
What's the blue gasket (?) for - it was attached to the valve gasket set. I didn't find any place to put it.

marklar182
October 12th, 2011, 22:37
Unfortunantly, looks the toming belt and cams have to come out.

The blue half moon goes under 17 (it is 22 I believe).

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B-Mw25aSS849ZjVjMmY4MjMtOTgzYy00MTZiLWFiMWEtNjJiZWU2 NTNlYWMx&hl=en_US

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B-Mw25aSS849ODRlMGNiNjYtZjY3OS00Y2JjLWJiZGUtODQyMmQ4 ZTdhYjJk&hl=en_US

marklar182
October 12th, 2011, 22:47
Are you just leaking boost there? Is this from your boost leak test? How high did you pressurize the system?

I think you are over analyzing the issue. Normally you wont have much pressure on this area. Look at the self study pdf crankcase breather diagram and you will see you are pressurizing the intake area of the turbo during your boost leak test. This is good to find what would be vacuum leaks in the intake area, but bad because you are also pressurizing the valve covers due to the routing. Only time this intake area sees boost is when the DV's dup and that is low volume in conjunction with the sucking of the turbo so you wont get that boost into the breather system.

V8weight
October 12th, 2011, 23:47
I've never removed the timing belt and cams to replace cam tensioner gaskets on any VW/Audi. Just use the compressor tool to compress the cam tensioner, block it up, and slide the new gaskets in.

TozoM8
October 13th, 2011, 01:12
Hi

I have a serious problem with my boost leak and valve gasket. I've replaced main valve cover gasket on the driver side and found a new place that is leaking just next to the old one...

It is marked red on the photos that are attached. The blue colour (part no. 16 on the diagram) designates the faulty element (and gasket underneath).

Is it possible to remove this part (no. 16) and replace gasket (no. 17) WITHOUT removing engine/timing belt/etc ?

From what I have discovered the cam chain is holding this thing together...

Please help me, I'm doing everything in my small so-called garage (public garage :lovl:)

PS.
What's the blue gasket (?) for - it was attached to the valve gasket set. I didn't find any place to put it.

You most likely have a PCV problem.

SzymekCRX
October 13th, 2011, 07:32
I've never removed the timing belt and cams to replace cam tensioner gaskets on any VW/Audi. Just use the compressor tool to compress the cam tensioner, block it up, and slide the new gaskets in.

w/o removal of the old one ? eg. it's remainings ?

---

PCV problem ? I am pressurizing the intake manifold with MAFs blocked.

PCV valve is not a check-vale so when doing pressure test the compressed air will pressurize valve covers - am I right ?

SzymekCRX
October 13th, 2011, 11:31
Will this fit to our V8 case ? http://www.audiworld.com/tech/eng107.shtml

SzymekCRX
October 14th, 2011, 11:49
I have my new gasket and waiting for the VAG 3366 tool to arrive. I'm going to unscrew this thing next week :)

SzymekCRX
October 14th, 2011, 17:37
Are you just leaking boost there? Is this from your boost leak test? How high did you pressurize the system?

I think you are over analyzing the issue. Normally you wont have much pressure on this area. Look at the self study pdf crankcase breather diagram and you will see you are pressurizing the intake area of the turbo during your boost leak test. This is good to find what would be vacuum leaks in the intake area, but bad because you are also pressurizing the valve covers due to the routing. Only time this intake area sees boost is when the DV's dup and that is low volume in conjunction with the sucking of the turbo so you wont get that boost into the breather system.

You're right about fact that in a normal condition there will be no boost under the valve cover. PCV diagram is a pain in the ass for me and I'm trying to draw one clear diagram for us all.

PS. Sorry for replying to my own posts but I think it's because timezone shift between You guys and me :)

SzymekCRX
October 20th, 2011, 12:29
w/o removal of the old one ? eg. it's remainings ?

PCV valve is not a check-vale so when doing pressure test the compressed air will pressurize valve covers - am I right ?

Just wanted to clear myself out:

PCV IS A ONE WAY CHECK-VALVE :)

Got one brand new in my hand right now