PDA

View Full Version : braided brake lines

kismetcapitan
October 12th, 2011, 08:48
I was somewhat surprised when I was installing spacers, to find that the brake lines are not braided steel. This has always been a basic upgrade in my book.

Who's done a brake line upgrade? Goodridge? HEL? Comments on installation or change in performance?

marklar182
October 12th, 2011, 14:37
ECS makes a set, but others have reported no improvement in braking or feel. I agree for our worn out underpowered Nissan braking systems it is an upgrade, but on the RS 6 it is more aesthetics.

Going to better fluid and pads is a better upgrade path.

JSRS6
October 12th, 2011, 14:39
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-RS6--4.2T/Braking/Lines/ES6104/

Here ya go.

skribe
October 12th, 2011, 15:04
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but I think, unlike typical rubber hose brake lines, RS 6 lines are internally reinforced and not subject to the kind of fluid distortions that would warrant an upgrade.

Spidercat
October 13th, 2011, 02:28
I went with ECS SS lines last brake pad/rotor change a year or so ago just because. Noticed no difference in feel directly attributed to brake lines-- it was probably the pads.

Totally agree that pads/hi temp fluid is the best upgrade. Already had the Phaeton ducts, but they would help out more at the track than with (almost) any street driving.

Oh, and the front ECS SS lines required ever-so-slight filing off of a notch or tab, I believe, to fit in the existing bracket-- but was not a big deal at all. I put them on my wife's car as well, but I think mine was the one that required a file.

JSRS6
October 13th, 2011, 20:48
You don't have to file...spread the notch that the stock line was held into. Insert rubber grommet on ss line. Squeeze back with pliers.

Spidercat
October 14th, 2011, 01:52
You don't have to file...spread the notch that the stock line was held into. Insert rubber grommet on ss line. Squeeze back with pliers.
:doh: Well, I had a file...
Good thing I didn't have a hammer, I guess! Thanks.

JSRS6
October 14th, 2011, 02:13
Yeah, thank god!

http://www.atomicathletic.com/store/images/products/rogergianthammer300.JPG

Spidercat
October 14th, 2011, 07:41
:lovl:lol!

Jimmy
October 14th, 2011, 12:22
Correct, in normal driving braided SS lines offer no real improvement in brake feel. They will be better on track though if you brake hard repeatedly.. The OE rubber ones can and do flex under extreme conditions and can burst if old. I do not have them on my RS6 but they are a good idea if yours need replacing. I have always put them on my track-only cars ...the last thing one wants is to lose braking on a track from an inferior rubber line.

The only real 'improvement' on a road car I'd say would be that of longevity. My allroad had an OE rear line crack and leak after 170K, but then it goes thru tough winters with salt , snow and sand and was 10 years old. The SS lines are actually cheaper for a full set than the OE rears alone. Goodridge is what I used and is well respected in the racing/tuning community, they seem very nice/well made....and about as easy to change as a lug bolt. I doubt ECS 'makes' theirs though but I'm sure what they sell are up to the task too.