PDA

View Full Version : Aftmkt Options

nene
October 10th, 2003, 18:18
There's a cool shop (Invisible Touch) out here in the Boston area that I've always taken all my cars too. I always see them taking care of Porsche/Benz/BMW/Bentley/Audi/Viper/Ferrari to name a few type of cars.

I'm good friends with the shop owner, and he's great guy. So I decided to shoot the breeze with him for a little bit yesterday, and he told me that this RS6 (black) is coming to the shop to do some aftmkt options.

List:
New Brembo floating rotors (front only)
HRE 547 wheels
Tint
MTM chip (waiting to arrive from Europe)

The shop owner goes to Europe quite a bit, so he can always get me anything I want. Even the 1997 540i that did not come with Xenons in USA, I had Xenons installed about a year later as he got me the whole housing in Europe.
Once he gets the MTM chip for this other RS6, I told him I'd clear the codes and do the throttle body adaptation, since I have the VAG tool. I'm hoping we'll take the car out, with the owner of course, and do some logging. I have the base numbers taken a while back, so I'd dying to see what this MTM chip can do.

I have the floating rotors on my S4 (full Brembo front kit), and I like the system. My rotors on the S4 however are the slotted ones, which are better for track use, which I do none of. The drilled are not as good for track, as they're more prone to cracking. Weird thing about the slotted is that they generate more brake dust too. Not sure if the guy with the RS6 plans to get slotted or drilled to match the rear.
Floating rotors are about $600 a piece.

I'll take pics of all the other goodies as they get installed, and keep you all posted.

iconcls
October 10th, 2003, 19:06
I would really like to hear your impressions of the MTM ECU, please.

RS6FEVR
October 10th, 2003, 19:19
:cheers: nene

Ditto on that chip info!

:addict: FEVR :addict:

ZCD2.7T
October 10th, 2003, 20:40
Originally posted by iconcls
I would really like to hear your impressions of the MTM ECU, please.

:eek: :bigeyes:

Uh, oh...... ;)

:cheers:

iconcls
October 10th, 2003, 20:46
Originally posted by ZCD2.7T
:eek: :bigeyes:

Uh, oh...... ;)

:cheers:

I know, I know, but I'm tellin' ya, I got this bug lately...

But then that British guy goes and post this stuff:

Sobering specs (http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/190.phtml)

That almost has me scared back into reality.
Damn him!;)

ZCD2.7T
October 10th, 2003, 21:32
Originally posted by iconcls
I know, I know, but I'm tellin' ya, I got this bug lately...

But then that British guy goes and post this stuff:

Sobering specs (http://forums.audiworld.com/rs6/msgs/190.phtml)

That almost has me scared back into reality.
Damn him!;)

:mad: What IS it with Audi and their torque-handling-deficient transmissions????

M-B can provide a trans to deal with well over 500 lb. ft. in the E55, and Audi seems to have to "throttle back" their engines' torque output in order not to grenade the trans...

I know, I know, AWD makes is tougher on the trans, but Audi produces what, 70% quattro? So, they should take that into account, and get what they need!!

Bitch, bitch, bitch, but I dona get it!!
:vvangry:

nene
October 10th, 2003, 21:53
The E55 is still an automatic.

The transmission on our cars can handle what an E55 trans does, it's just that they decided no to unleash that much power.

I believe the trans on the Gallardo or Murcielago can handle loads of torque. Aren't both AWD as well? I think that it can be done, but it would push the price of the RS6 up a bit more to use those parts.

Good thing about this shop is that they will order the stuff directly from Europe, so you won't need to hand your ECU back in return. You will have both ECUs to do as you wish.

Furthermore, I think he's trying to get them at the same price as the B5 S4 ECU, which is about $1000USA. MTM seems to want $1200USA, but he's putting it together such that they won't charge him that much. We'll see.

AvusRS6
October 11th, 2003, 02:38
I thought our RS6 came stock with floating rotors. Also, my RS6 tech told me that our cars don't require throttle adaptation as it does it every time you start the car (totally different from the S4)...

Let us know what you find out.

jgun81
October 11th, 2003, 05:01
nene

this is kinda scary...the world is too small i guess...
the black rs6 you are talking about is mine
i think i saw you today in invisible touch...
you and your buddies were talking to Edwin when
my brother my friend and i got there...

nene
October 11th, 2003, 19:07
Edwin told me on Friday night you would be swinging by on Saturday. We waited for you, and you showed up as we were leaving.

We'll have to hook up once you get your major upgrades so I can check it out. I can definitely clear the codes as you upgrade the ECU. This way you won't have to go to the dealership to have it done.

If you have time, probably 15-20 minutes, we can also do a couple of runs, and do some VAG logging. I'll send that to you before posting of course.
I want an MTM chip as well, so looking forward to helping you out.

Nice Beast!!!
I did not know you posted here. I'm sorry if I mentioned the work you are getting done, if you meant to keep it secretive. I could not hold on any longer :devil: !

jgun81
October 11th, 2003, 20:34
nene

I am going back to NewYork on sunday, and
my brother will be driving rs6 until thanks giving...
My brother is a good friend with Edwin, so
if you want to test something out just let Edwin know.
Thank you for trying to help me out...

Finnus
October 12th, 2003, 12:50
Once he gets the MTM chip for this other RS6, I told him I'd clear the codes and do the throttle body adaptation, since I have the VAG tool.

Nelson,

Sorry for the ignorance, but can you translate this for me?

Finnus
:addict:

nene
October 12th, 2003, 23:35
I can most certainly explain it Bob.
I'm only used to the S4, so I'm thinking that the RS6 is similar in behavior when you change the ECU (full box with chip).

When you change the ECU on the car, there are a few fault codes that show up when reading for fault codes in the engine controller. Keep in mind that these fault codes are there because we just changed the ECU. Even if you were to ride the car with these fault codes, it's quite fine, but usually it's cool to clear them. This allows you to start with no fault codes, and if the chip were to misbehave, we usually get new fault codes.
So the process is really simple to be done using a VAG tool, which I can show it to you next time.

The throttle body adaptation is done to make sure that the car will be using all the power provided by the chip. When you turn your ignition key to the point right before having it started, you hear some engine noises. This is usually the throttle body adaptation process. However, some folks feel that just doing so after changing to a more powerful chip, can mean that you are running the chip conservatively. Using the VAG tool, you can actually run the adaptation process correctly and fully.

Since I'm not that mechanically inclined or know that much about these processes, I only speak from what I've read or seen other folks that are more experienced talk about it.
Not taking the car to the dealership to do both processes, helps you keep your dealership in the dark as to whether or not you are chip'd.

Finnus
October 16th, 2003, 18:16
Thanks, Nelson.

Finnus

:addict: