PDA

View Full Version : My First Track Event (long)

4everRS
October 10th, 2011, 04:13
Just wanted to report my experience on tracking the BEAST. It was awesome!! I know some of you have had the chance to do this, but for the ones who haven't, DO IT!!

I've had this car for over 2 years now and can't believe I hadn't done it sooner. To prep for the event, I had a pair of 'in-spec' rotors turned and EBC yellows put on, along with new OEM brake fluid (more on that soon). My front, rear-lower control arms were in need of replacing so that was done too. I brought a full tank of 100 oct, and 2 gallons of water-meth mix, along with various tools.

As a novice, our group did a few exercises like threshold braking, slalom, and a wet surface, high speed S curve. The S curve exercise was in a big open asphalt area and cones were set up. After doing it a couple times fine, and my time again, the instructor says, "I'm disappointed that no one is spinning out yet". She said, "you guys are suppose to stay on the gas through the S". So I was the first to get into a spin, and then did it 2 more times when I was up. Lots of Thumbs up by other drivers and intructors.

On to the Track:

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/DonnyBrook.gif

Brainerd International Raceway is the track and we used the 3.1 mile course. They have a 2.5 mile course as well. Sessions are 25 mins each. My group included about 15 cars. It was an Audi event, but there were a few others. New S4 won for the most popular award. There were 2 R8's in my group and 2 others there that weren't. Most difficult turns are 3 and 10. Mostly due to the amount of braking that needs to be done prior to entering the corner.

The BEAST was spectacular! In the first couple sessions, I had to let a tuned S4 and an R8 pass. During the 2nd session, I was getting into turn 10, hit the brakes, and they worked, but faded into the floor. NOT a good feeling. I boiled the new OEM fluid. A performance shop was there sponsoring and they flushed me with RBF600. Thank you IMOLA motorsports and Jeff for the help. After that I was doing the passing. The R8 (v8 btw), was the most competition. Great guy driving it. Really everyone at the event was great. In my 4th and 5th sessions, I was able to get over 150mph on the front straight. I entered turn 1 in the low 140's, carrying it in the mid 130's. Very fast turn. Apparently a track car can take it 170.

I am amazed again at what this car can do. I have fully stock suspension. Before the next event, I'll be getting Hotchkis bars. DRC held up great. My instructor said to me, "this is by far the fastest car I have instructed in".

Sorry I have no vids. Next time I will, or I won't post. :race:

JSRS6
October 10th, 2011, 04:29
Kyle, really glad to hear. Did you at least get any pics?? :hihi:

nene
October 10th, 2011, 04:30
Thanks for the tips on the brake fluid.
Glad you had a great time.

4everRS
October 10th, 2011, 04:40
I met a great couple that was there and the Mrs was snapping pics. She said that she'll email me a few. I don't have them yet.
Kyle, really glad to hear. Did you at least get any pics?? :hihi:

JSRS6
October 10th, 2011, 04:43
Looking forward to them!

Jimmy Joe
October 10th, 2011, 06:26
Congratulations on your track day! The must fun you can have with your clothes on. Only thing, it´s highly addictive, and, as any addiction, it'll be demanding more and more of your time, money, attention with the exclusion of everything else. pretty soon it'll be slicks, better brakes, improved cooling, a transmission or two, etc. Ritual sacrifices to the God of Speed. Going a little faster on the street won'´t mean much, in fact, I'll wager that you´ll be much more restrained , smooth and fluid. That's what the track does to you. But you have been bitten, and it'll never be the same. Enjoy !

Spidercat
October 10th, 2011, 06:49
Sounds like your weekend was just full of awesomeness! :revs:
Good to hear that the beast can more than hold it's own.

I'm quite a bit envious right now...

kismetcapitan
October 10th, 2011, 08:31
I've used the Motul brake fluid, because I couldn't source my preferred fluid the last time I did a fluid change (on my bike), and it's good stuff. But if you really, really, REALLY don't want to boil your brake fluid, ever, Castrol SRF is as good as it gets. You'll crap your pants when you pay for a liter of it, but I've had to deal with brake fluid problems in some pretty extreme conditions and SRF solved them. Downside is SRF absorbs water like a sponge; it's good for 18 months maximum, change every 12 months to be on the safe side.

speedtrapped
October 10th, 2011, 12:56
Kyle, very cool.....I have been wanting to do this with the RS for sometime. ACNA only does events on weekdays(at least that are somewhat close to me), impossible to take off. So jealous....

as350
October 10th, 2011, 15:20
It sounds like you had a great weekend. Like Speedtrapped, ACNA's calendar never matches up with mine and I have yet to be able to make an event.

MaxRS6
October 10th, 2011, 15:50
Woo hoo! Congrats Kyle, and I think a little birdie whispered something to you about the brakes..Tweet tweet. Glad to hear they got you going and you managed to make it through the turn. If you haven't done the Phaeton ducts yet- Do IT before your next track event! That is a very bad feeling when the brakes go as I've experienced it a couple of times.

The track is a great place to run the car. I felt the same way you did after my first event- "Why didn't I do this sooner?". Glad to hear you had a great time and thanks for sharing. Hopefully, we'll be able to attend a track event together sometime.

bmlee007
October 11th, 2011, 03:36
I'm looking forward to getting out on the track next spring. I went to Watkins Glen a couple months ago for my first track experience and had a great time. It was Audi sponsored but open to anything with four wheels. I did a ride-along with an instructor in his R32 Golf and it was a howl. We were out with everything from Minis and S4s to R8s and 430 Scuderias. There were 4 Nissan GTRs there as well, and it was nice to see them all covered in rubber instead of all shiny like they just came out of the garage.

It was also nice to see peoples' eyes light up at the mention of an RS6, even with all the exotic hardware around us. The hook has been baited, I'll be biting it next year.

Chung
October 11th, 2011, 16:55
That sounds like a great time. I have always wanted to go to the track but I think the repair bills of just my normal driving is too much right now :). Eventually I would like to get another C4 S4 and mod it for a track car.

4everRS
October 14th, 2011, 04:29
Finally a photo.
http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab210/crocodile64/IMG_3243.jpg

JSRS6
October 14th, 2011, 05:15
That's what I'm talkin bout! Looks like your beast was having a blast :hihi:

ben916
October 15th, 2011, 00:57
sweet!!!

What tires were you running?

Benman
October 15th, 2011, 07:56
...but for the ones who haven't, DO IT!!
^^^This^^^

Glad you enjoyed the thrill! :cheers:

4everRS
October 15th, 2011, 15:00
sweet!!!

What tires were you running?
Michelin Pilot Sport

JSRS6
October 15th, 2011, 19:49
Michelin Pilot Sport

Super sport???

4everRS
October 16th, 2011, 03:59
Nope. Pilot Sport. The ones before the PS2's. They are a V shaped directional tread. Got them from Pat a while back.
Super sport???