PDA

View Full Version : RS6 brakes, rotor replacement option

as350
October 7th, 2011, 01:23
I'm getting close to having replace rotors and pads in the front. The rears aren't far behind, so I'm considering doing all four corners if I end up with something other than OEM.

I spent the last 20 minutes using the search function but haven't been able to get a clear answer. I remember this being discussed in the past, I just can't find the threads.

As we all know, OEM is dusty and expensive. What other options have been installed with success? I don't track my car, just around town driving for the most part. I'm looking for recommendations for longer lasting rotors and pads that don't make as much dust. I've found in my search that the EBC yellow pads or the Hawk Performance HPS pads are used with little complaint, but I'm still trying to find a set of rotors that match well, that are equal or better in brake bite and feel, are less messy and are cheaper.

Any recommendations?

Spidercat
October 7th, 2011, 01:40
Read this thread for non-OEM rotor options (Coleman and JHM):

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/21974-Group-buy-on-custom-inexpensive-brakes?highlight=hats

Another pad is Posi-Quiet. I just posted that I liked them in response to some other member's question re: pads. Low noise, low-dust, bite well.

as350
October 7th, 2011, 02:17
Thanks, that was one of at least two threads that I remember.

aussie rs6
October 7th, 2011, 18:31
I am using posi-quiet semi metallic from Zeckhausen Racing- very little dusting, quiet and good braking power- as good as oem if not better- see order below. I boiled the brake fluid at track once but pads and braking were ok after brake fluid cooled down- http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=44_707_708- has good range of C5 RS6 pads with description.

I ordered :1 x Posi Quiet semi-metallic brake pads - front (D1029) [1 box required]
8 pad set, wear sensors on 2 pads (63-104-1029) = $140.00
1 x Posi Quiet semi-metallic brake pads - rear (D1018) [1 box required]
(63-104-1018) = $53.00

I have also bought a set of ferodo DS2500 based on uk forum recommendation for club track days.

Now fitting the phaeton brake scoop mod plus Grizz's C6 disc with C5 calipers kit.
Should solve any future brake problems.
johnk

for some light relief:
I received this from a truly sensitive husband, just like me.!!!
I will always go that extra yard for the little lady!

My wife and I walked past a swanky new restaurant last night.

"Did you smell that food, it smelt incredible?" she said.

Being the nice guy I am, I thought "Stuff it, I'll treat her!"

So we walked past it again!
:lovl::lovl::lovl:

Brav
October 8th, 2011, 23:46
I have EBC reds and JHM rotors all around. I now have vibration and overheatig and blueing issues. I don't know whethet to blame the pad or rotors. My gut is the rotors whig my guess is of poorer Asian metal quality. The pads are too hard if a compound I guess. People seem to not have problems with EBC red w own rotors so I can only assume.

Even after turning them and driving softly I still get blueing, and growing and vibration under hard braking.

as350
October 9th, 2011, 13:56
Brav, I was leaning towards the JHM rotors, but now I wonder if this is a good move. I'll have to research the Coleman rotors a bit more in-depth.

hahnmgh63
October 9th, 2011, 16:58
There have been some who have had issues with the EBC Reds when running them hard, I think the Reds are fine for a mildly agressive street driver but if you want more agressive then go to the Yellows for a real slight increase in cost and dust. I'm using Yellows on the RS6 and my Cayenne Turbo S, they are rated for higher heat than the Reds, still easy on the rotors but they do dust a little more than the Reds.

Spidercat
October 9th, 2011, 20:59
Just thought of another rotor option: Adam's rotors.
I have no info on them, but just another option to explore. Seem kinda "blingy," but whatever.

There was also some talk about either JHM or Adam's or maybe some other company making 390 mm (C6 size) front rotors if there was enough interest. Apparently, there was not enough interest. Don't know whether they were planning on making their own brackets to make our C5 calipers fit, or just assuming we would get our own (Unit20/Grizz).

4everRS
October 10th, 2011, 01:32
I can vouch for the yellows after this weekend. I did my first track event at Brainerd International Raceway. Very hard on the brakes and they held up well. Rotors were pinging like crazy as they cooled down. Discs look good with no "blue spotting" like I had using the reds. Dusting was still pretty low, slightly more than reds but barely.

JSRS6
October 10th, 2011, 02:29
Vids or it didn't happen! Lol

4everRS
October 10th, 2011, 03:19
Haha, ya I know. Man I wish I had a GoPro. Many of the cars had them mounted. I was thinking about asking one to use it for a session and have them send it to me in an email or post on YouTube, but I was too chicken to ask. I KNOW I will be doing that again, and next time I will have a camera.
Vids or it didn't happen! Lol

MaxRS6
October 10th, 2011, 15:54
^If I knew you were gonna be doing it- I would have sent you mine. However; worth the cost to get your own as I know you will be going out there more regularly since the bug has bitten- LOL

Brav
October 10th, 2011, 16:51
Just thought of another rotor option: Adam's rotors.
I have no info on them, but just another option to explore. Seem kinda "blingy," but whatever.

There was also some talk about either JHM or Adam's or maybe some other company making 390 mm (C6 size) front rotors if there was enough interest. Apparently, there was not enough interest. Don't know whether they were planning on making their own brackets to make our C5 calipers fit, or just assuming we would get our own (Unit20/Grizz).

I know Adam, and he is a great guy. I asked him a while ago and basically, he doesn't make them in house. He buys OEM or equiv, then modifies the face to whatever patter and finish the customer wants.

I may order some Phaeton disks and just have them slotted.

JSRS6
October 10th, 2011, 18:12
how much are phaeton rings? Can you buy just the rings?