PDA

View Full Version : Rns-e

na1mt
October 6th, 2011, 01:12
I am finally getting my RNS-E installed that I got off here a month or so ago. We are having a couple issues that we are trying to sort out. So I called Vagnavs to see if they could help. He did offer me some great tips on what may be my problem...and also let me know that their wait time for the "backorder" status is usually no more than 7-10 days from order date. Just throwing that out there for those of you that want to upgrade and are constantly hawking the various forums, as was I, waiting for one to pop up.

hahnmgh63
October 6th, 2011, 01:31
You didn't mention what your install problem is but I found the basic RNS-E install was easy. OEM Bluetooth to replace the Onstar was a little tougher. If you are trying to do some aftermarket stuff then I could see how that could add some drama to an install.

na1mt
October 6th, 2011, 01:43
Can not read disc error. Tried three different nav discs, two of which were working in the other units. Vagnavs and my installer believe it to be an internal problem with RNS-E unit, seller thinks it may be in the harness.Hope to find out either way by tomorrow afternoon.

na1mt
October 9th, 2011, 04:37
Can anyone here recommend a repair service here in the USA that can replace the drive and/or laser in these units?

JSRS6
October 9th, 2011, 12:35
Yeah, skribe can...whether he already has a full plate though, youd have to ask him.

na1mt
October 9th, 2011, 14:46
Thanks Josh, I will send him a pm.

hahnmgh63
October 9th, 2011, 17:02
Yea, I agree with your diagnosis that it is a unit problem and not a wiring problem. Have you tried a different Nav disc by chance or a music CD? Try here for some parts http://audiforum.us/

skribe
October 10th, 2011, 14:27
Sounds like a classic bad laser. And sounds disingenuous of the seller to claim it must be the harness. If the unit is powered up, it's going to read the disc -- these units fully function on the bench with just +-12v.

Generally, any time anybody offers up a needless explanation that doesn't quite make sense, they're lying! I would demand a full refund from the seller and buy from somebody reputable. File small claims on him if you must, it's easy.

BUT, if a refund just isn't going to happen for whatever reason...

If you can source one, you can replace the laser only, as the physical drive mechanism is built to run forever and then some, BUT, I don't know of a good source for a laser.

Also don't know of a service that repairs these unitis, I bet there are some electronics repair shops in NJ that could definitely handle it.

It's not that difficult of a repair. If you have minimal skill you can DIY.
Here's a good walkthrough (pdf link:) http://www.mediafire.com/?tl8lqi30kqxkp78

Like I said, not sure if you can source the laser. BUT, If you can't, you can source the entire drive mechanism from this guy for ~ $300:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drive-AUDI-RNS-E-dvd-A3-A4-A6-navigation-system-/170410202258?pt=UK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET&hash=item27ad3d5492#ht_585wt_922

I've bought parts from him before, exactly as advertised and crazy fast shipping from HK.

Good luck! RNS-E is worth it :)

na1mt
October 11th, 2011, 03:48
Seller has agreed to give full refund.

skribe
October 11th, 2011, 05:02
Best outcome. Buy from vagnavs.

na1mt
October 12th, 2011, 01:57
That's my plan....they told actual backorder time is 7-10 days....had I known that I would have gone that route from very start.