PDA

View Full Version : MAF restoration?

kismetcapitan
October 5th, 2011, 07:46
just a thought - I'm prone to late night brainstorms...has anyone taken a "bad" MAF and just...cleaned it out?

In the Skyline world, the MAFs are made by Japanese OEM supplier JECS, and when one starts to read incorrectly, we pop it out, spray it down with carb cleaner to clean the hot wire filament, then pop it back in. Skyline GT-Rs also run very hot engine bays, so with the wiring, sometimes the connections inside the MAF from the hot wire to the plug, the soldering gets brittle and breaks. Access to the circuit board requires an X-acto knife and the resoldering is extremely simple.

Getting access to that connection on the Bosch MAF looks more challenging - has anyone disassembled one?

Anyways, I wonder if anyone who runs into bad MAF issues might save $400 in replacement costs by trying to clean them out and check the wiring and solder connections....but then again, JECS MAFs for the Skyline run over $500 each, and two are required - so there's some motivation there to find a cheaper solution!!

V8weight
October 5th, 2011, 15:17
If you are throwing codes for lean fuel trims, it's a good idea to clean them with contact cleaner and re-test the fuel trims. If you are already throwing codes for MAF implausible signal or voltage too high or low, replacement is necessary. Just my two cents. I've always been in the habit of cleaning the maf sensor on all of my cars at least yearly as preventitive maintenance. You can watch the fuel trims come down after a good cleaning, even if the car seemed to be running normally.

Chung
October 5th, 2011, 16:43
I think you need a special tool to get to the sensor inside the MAF housing. My refurbished MAF sensor was 125ish after the core charge.

kismetcapitan
October 5th, 2011, 20:51
my MAFs are fine at the moment, but they do inevitably foul up with oil. $125 per MAF is dirt cheap though!!

Brav
October 5th, 2011, 21:27
If you are throwing codes for lean fuel trims, it's a good idea to clean them with contact cleaner and re-test the fuel trims. If you are already throwing codes for MAF implausible signal or voltage too high or low, replacement is necessary. Just my two cents. I've always been in the habit of cleaning the maf sensor on all of my cars at least yearly as preventitive maintenance. You can watch the fuel trims come down after a good cleaning, even if the car seemed to be running normally.

I am getting voltage codes every 1000 miles or so.. runs fine and smooth, but sometimes down on power. Should I be looking at a MAF cleaning instead of O2 Sensors?

V8weight
October 6th, 2011, 14:26
I am getting voltage codes every 1000 miles or so.. runs fine and smooth, but sometimes down on power. Should I be looking at a MAF cleaning instead of O2 Sensors?
Yes, replacing the O2 sensors would be like shooting the messager...

Brav
October 6th, 2011, 16:55
Yes, replacing the O2 sensors would be like shooting the messager...

LOL, thanks for de-stupifying me. Also happy about a simpler solution :)

jfonz
October 6th, 2011, 23:29
they make special maf cleaner. It's $7 at the auto parts store. I've used it on my s8 and had good luck with it. It's probably nothing more than a glorified contact cleaner, but it did the trick.

kismetcapitan
October 7th, 2011, 02:16
Anyone ever try the lemon juice trick with O2 sensors...?

ttboost
October 7th, 2011, 12:53
MAF's are much like spark plugs, in that you can clean them once or twice, but after that, once their fouled, their fouled...

Also, regarding air cleaners...(as this is a big problem in the 996 turbo world), there is evidence that an aftermarket oiled filter may make a few more HP, (literally a few..tested myself on my own, on a dyno) but they absolutely DO NOT filter better than a unoiled paper filter. NOTHING filters better than a paper filter, and the power you "lose" (or never gain?) is negligable compared to the scoring your cylinder walls take....Just some friendly advice...

Brav
October 7th, 2011, 19:32
My car has 145k on the clock. I am going to attempt this cleaning soon, but I figured since I am taking the intake off, should I just go ahead and replace the MAF seals everyone complains about while I am at it? Any special way to install back? Grease/sealant?

Chung
October 7th, 2011, 19:56
hahnmgh63 (http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/member.php/3357-hahnmgh63)recommended I use just a little dow corning 111 grease when putting mine back on
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23099-Airbox-bolt-size?p=220272

and more tips
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22609-MAF-seal-removal-and-install-tips-please...