PDA

View Full Version : looking to replace interior switches that are wearing..

peiserg
October 5th, 2011, 01:07
dudes. I'm a little peeved that my $90k vehicle has an interior which is going to shit. My "+" and "-" AC switches are worn off, as is my driver's side "Unlock" button. In addition, my "econ" button is rubbed bare. Where can i pick these up on the cheap? Guess i'll have Audi install at my 75k service, which is due now..

gerry

kismetcapitan
October 5th, 2011, 01:25
It is frustrating. Fortunately only the #1 memory button is worn, but the rear window lockout switch isn't working and the door latch microswitch needs either cleaning or replacement. And I just replaced the RS6 badge on the steering wheel. The psychological effect of that has been significant!

Spidercat
October 5th, 2011, 01:40
That "soft-touch" coating that Audi uses on the interior plastic is not at all durable. No good way to repair it, either. You could TRY different black matte finishes, plastic coat, textured paints, etc. in a little tin and use a very small brush for a little "touch-up" around +/-, etc., but it probably will not last long. If you have a whole switch that is peeling, try geniunevwaudiparts.com or ECS w/ the PN.
Used parts would be just inheriting someone else's mess.

DonS
October 5th, 2011, 02:05
How about using a lable maker? I have a little thermal maker by Brother that prints onto clear labels that would look okay.

Or, salvage some from an junkyard control unit.

kismetcapitan
October 5th, 2011, 06:27
It is very ironic...the interior is a place where Audi doesn't cut corners, yet they really dropped the ball with these switch coatings. They may feel nice, but when 20 year old Japanese or Korean switches still look and work fine, and Audi switches are all scraped to hell...it just looks bad for the company.

And not a one among us has interior door handles with the coating still 100% intact....

Is it just me, or does Audi often try new technologies and materials without fully testing the longevity?

Jimmy
October 5th, 2011, 12:18
It has always been a problem ...seemed to get worse too, not better with each successive model.

It bugs me too....I'm going to figure out how to remove the inner door grab handles and replace both of the fronts this winter...it looks terrible on my otherwise excellent condition interior.

We shouldn't feel so bad tho...Ferraris have had the same problem only much worse. There is place that restores stuff like this, I posted the link last year from a Hemmings Ad somewhere. But its cheaper in Audi terms to just replace the parts.

TozoM8
October 5th, 2011, 14:55
You need the switches from an 01' or older. They are a bit more black so the radio will not be the same shade.

ThrillHouse
October 5th, 2011, 15:06
It has always been a problem ...seemed to get worse too, not better with each successive model.

It bugs me too....I'm going to figure out how to remove the inner door grab handles and replace both of the fronts this winter...it looks terrible on my otherwise excellent condition interior.

We shouldn't feel so bad tho...Ferraris have had the same problem only much worse. There is place that restores stuff like this, I posted the link last year from a Hemmings Ad somewhere. But its cheaper in Audi terms to just replace the parts.

This REALLY bothers me as well. I bought a new window switch bezel so that is nice and new but the grab handles are in such bad shape. I have thought about removing and plasti-dipping them. The + and - buttons on the HVAC just kill me though. They aren't bad but it just bothers me.

I had a small nick on the dash cup holder and was able to get one from Ebay shipped from China for $28.

Chung
October 5th, 2011, 16:52
My rear window switches have a mind of their own. Sometimes they go up, sometimes they go down. The windows lock has to be on for one and off for the other. It is a good thing I don't ride in the back seat.

Here are a couple of posts on this topic
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/18610-Removing-front-door-switch-bezel-how-to-do-it?highlight=
http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/18617-Step-by-step-removal-of-door-switch-bezel.

Jimmy
October 5th, 2011, 18:37
Well, I'm screwed...the interior door grab handle is part of the door panel, I'd have to get a whole new door panel ! I can't buy just the inner grab handle part that peeled.

Apparently, while the cars were still under warranty you could go to a dealer and they'd replace the whole inside door panel for you if the coating peeled off that area ! This is where the cheap-ass VW part of 'VAG' comes into play I guess. Noice !

vitalian
October 5th, 2011, 20:19
Several of my dash buttons have blobs instead of "+" or "-" or whatever, and my interior door grab handles are completely worn off as well. Although this certainly is annoying, I must say I'm taking some small measure of comfort in knowing that this happens to everyone and not just me!:)

skribe
October 5th, 2011, 21:36
I just went ahead and rubbed all the coating off my grab handles with alcohol and #0000 steel wool. Doesn't look or feel as nice as the original matte rubber finish, but looks a lot better than the ghetto tatter that had developed.

Little details like this are huge to me in my own perception that my car is clean and tight, vs. dirty and loose.

Another trick I use to touch up nicks in the rubberized coating, like around the headlight switch, is to spray some plasti-dip in a cup and then use a fine brush to feather it in around the nicks and scrapes. You can see it if you really look, but at a casual glance it looks good.

RSSIK
October 5th, 2011, 22:02
The same is happening to mine and it only has 25k miles and years ago iot was happening to my 05 A8L. It is very frustrating that these cars have these problems and I am seeing it in many audis and vw's(depending on options). You dont see this happen in many other cars, they need to figure this out bc its not like its cheap to replace a bunch of little buttons. I might try the touch up thing since mine isnt terrible yet but starting to be noticable.

Elevens
October 6th, 2011, 02:14
Wait till the LCD of your Driver Information System (DIS) in the Center of your dash start to fade to black. Guaranteed to happen. You'll all really be pissed then............

MaxRS6
October 6th, 2011, 02:49
^ At least it can be repaired for $125 at module masters without too much fuss except the car being down while it being done. Fortunately, I did mine while it was at the shop for an extended period on other issues.

peiserg
October 14th, 2011, 20:00
uhm ok now you can add the "unlock/lock" button to the list. the question i have here is.. do i need to replace the entire switch? that's a fawk lotta money i bet. I need the +/- AC switches, the memory #1 switch, lock/unlock switch, Econ switch, cup holder, and some stereo buttons. This is ridiculous! Car has 75k miles, but this has been going on since around 10k miles or so... and has gradually come to include more and more switches.

all the switches work fine. they just look like crapola.

oh yeah forgot the headlight switch.

as an aside... my driver's side intake grill is gone. who or where to get one? anyone have a PN?

Elevens
October 14th, 2011, 21:06
Yea, its totally ridiculous. My window Lock-Unlock button is shot. But surprisingly none of my other switches are worn at all. In the Wife's Allroad though practically every button show's sign's of wear. Audi just doesn't seem to show much interest in correcting these minor cosmetic and mechanical flaws, which can be really annoying. Especially in cars which cost in excess of $85000 new.