PDA

View Full Version : MAF Sensor rewire

Chung
October 4th, 2011, 18:43
I think I have traced my MAF sensor issues down to the wiring. It appears the wiring has already been redone once (and that is probably the source of my issue) but I am wondering if anyone else has completely rewired their MAF sensor.

My symptoms are depending on how the wire is routed to the sensor I either get no signal at all or a slightly reduced signal when compared to the passenger side MAF. I have replaced the sensor but that didn't seem to help.

speedtrapped
October 4th, 2011, 19:29
I had replaced my connector plugs(harness) once before, they get brittle from the heat. Just look at the wiring on the side that works, the wires are color coded and make sure the faulty side is wire the same. if the colors dont match at all, likely somebody rewired the connector into the harness.

Chung
October 4th, 2011, 19:50
It was definitely rewired but they didn't go from the source. It looks like it was patched in at the end. I might just undo it and resolder but I was hoping for a more permanent solution since it appears this one has failed.

speedtrapped
October 4th, 2011, 19:56
thats fine, make sure each lead is in its proper place based off the correct maf...may be a kinked connection the female ends, red plastic eventually crack, so not suprised it was replaced. glad u found the source

ben916
October 4th, 2011, 21:31
Someone might be working on an aircraft grade jumper so as doffing/donning the airbox will be a one person job with less-to-no stress on the wiring... Stand by... :)

speedtrapped
October 4th, 2011, 21:53
Nice Ben, god speed

Chung
October 4th, 2011, 22:55
This car definitely need aircraft grade parts. I already have the hose clamps, bring on the wiring. First person to get a turbine in the RS wins.

skribe
October 4th, 2011, 23:26
plastic + time + heat = fail.

So many problems on 10+ year old cars are related to little plastic bits getting brittle.

I dream of an engine compartment with 100% aircraft fittings.

Chung
October 5th, 2011, 00:20
I am speculating that my problem has been caused by the wires being pinched and not because of the heat. The connector was probably originally replaced because of heat damage though.

ttboost
October 5th, 2011, 12:38
...and you have to bend the wires at an incredibly difficult angle to get the drivers side MAF plug back down out of the way when you put the airbox back on...

ben916
October 5th, 2011, 17:24
...and you have to bend the wires at an incredibly difficult angle to get the drivers side MAF plug back down out of the way when you put the airbox back on...

This is my point and the quest for a better solution... coming soon to a theater/mailbox near you

ttboost
October 5th, 2011, 17:34
This is my point and the quest for a better solution... coming soon to a theater/mailbox near you

Keep us posted brotha!!!