PDA

View Full Version : Blacked out Grill and Cleared Headlights

YANORS6
October 2nd, 2011, 08:52
Hey All,

I just wanted to share a couple of changes I made recently to the beast. Man I love the way it looks! All of my friends say it looks so different and more modern.

The shop did a good job painting the grills and I baked the headlights to clear it out. Surprisingly easy mod.

Oh sorry for the crappy pics, I just wanted to share my joy asap. Better pics to follow. Enjoy!

I've included a before shot as well. You definitely see the difference.

JSRS6
October 2nd, 2011, 11:50
Good job! Looks great!

ntrcptr
October 2nd, 2011, 14:53
Hey All,

I just wanted to share a couple of changes I made recently to the beast. Man I love the way it looks! All of my friends say it looks so different and more modern.

The shop did a good job painting the grills and I baked the headlights to clear it out. Surprisingly easy mod.

Oh sorry for the crappy pics, I just wanted to share my joy asap. Better pics to follow. Enjoy!

I've included a before shot as well. You definitely see the difference.

x-mas is comin'...where'd u get them. curious how'd it look in dolphin gray

na1mt
October 2nd, 2011, 16:35
Looks great on a black car

JSRS6
October 2nd, 2011, 17:48
x-mas is comin'...where'd u get them. curious how'd it look in dolphin gray

If you are referring to the headlights, he baked his own open and removed the amber insert. As for the grilles, he took them off and had them painted.

Amar
October 2nd, 2011, 18:05
Looks great, I would do the little trim pieces under your headlights too.

kismetcapitan
October 2nd, 2011, 20:57
that's just sex on wheels dude. and I'm still loving "ebonyschwarz perleffekt"!

YANORS6
October 2nd, 2011, 23:04
If you are referring to the headlights, he baked his own open and removed the amber insert. As for the grilles, he took them off and had them painted.

JSRS6...Thanks for being my interpreter. Haha JK.

Yeah I got the Silver bulbs too. Oh snap!

YANORS6
October 2nd, 2011, 23:09
Thanks for the props y'all. After doing this mod, I feel impelled not to sell the beast anymore, get an extended warranty, and start doing a few mods; oh and not get a GTR which I was planning to do.

YANORS6
October 2nd, 2011, 23:13
Looks great, I would do the little trim pieces under your headlights too.

You know Amar I was going back and forth if I should paint those trim pieces but after doing a couple of visual tests and viewing other cars, I didn't end up painting it because I felt it made the front look too dark n w/o it painted to me it makes the headlights pop.

kismetcapitan
October 3rd, 2011, 00:12
you need both an RS6 and a GTR...I'll be one VERY happy camper when I can get my Skyline GTR parked next to my RS6 :D

skribe
October 3rd, 2011, 15:09
Nice work dude.... Looks so much cleaner.

ntrcptr
October 3rd, 2011, 15:20
JSRS6...Thanks for being my interpreter. Haha JK.

Yeah I got the Silver bulbs too. Oh snap!
lmao....my nature to go straight for the goods....fk...details...lol

streetsoffire
October 3rd, 2011, 18:55
Looks great. Any members in Jersey know how to do this?

JSRS6
October 3rd, 2011, 20:03
I know somebody...

MaxRS6
October 3rd, 2011, 20:06
That is a nice improvement!

RSSIK
October 3rd, 2011, 20:09
Looks great. Any members in Jersey know how to do this?

The grill part or the headlights?

JSRS6
October 3rd, 2011, 20:54
I'm guessing the headlights.

streetsoffire
October 3rd, 2011, 21:28
Oh, my bad: I am talking about my headlights. My headlights are off the car, so it seems the perfect time to get this done. JSRS6: Do tell........I just need to know where and how much........dynasty23: If you can do it, the same applies........

Someone PM me; I suck at stuff like this.......my modding would involve a hammer and crazy glue.

JSRS6
October 4th, 2011, 02:49
Streets, pm speedtrapped. Assuming y'all are close by, he will try and take care of your headlights.

RSSIK
October 4th, 2011, 16:51
Weel my guy just did mine yesterday. Believe it or not he DID NOT have to open my headlights. NO silcone used whatsoever & no cutting at all. It took about 2 hrs total and my headlights are still factory sealed. I love them and the idea of how he did it. He is in central Jersey with me. He said hes willing to do them and anyone else's that wants to come and get them done. Such very reasonable pricing too!!

JSRS6
October 4th, 2011, 17:08
This is intriguing. Any details?

RSSIK
October 4th, 2011, 17:33
I dont know exactly how he did it I wasnt there but I am 100% sure he did not cut anypart of my headlights whatsoever. I am sure of this because we looked over them together before he took the car. He also did my b5 S4 headlights the same way too.

Spidercat
October 4th, 2011, 19:59
Guess he did something (like building a ship-in-a-bottle) through the back access? Is the back entirely intact still?

streetsoffire
October 4th, 2011, 21:42
@ dynasty23: PM'd
@ JSRS6: I shot speedtrapped a pm, but looking at his threads, I really don't think he can be bothered with something this minor.......

RSSIK
October 5th, 2011, 16:26
Guess he did something (like building a ship-in-a-bottle) through the back access? Is the back entirely intact still?

Yes it is still intact. Like I said I dont know how he did it but he did, it worked and looks great. No complaints.

YANORS6
October 6th, 2011, 06:15
This is intriguing. Any details?

The way you do it without baking your headlights is using a dremel and cutting right below the amber piece n pulling it out. I wouldn't recommend.

Baking headlights: put headlights in oven for 3 minutes @ 325 degrees. Pull apart headlights take out amber piece. Put headlights together re bake same time n temp. Then hulk squeeze for solid seal! HahHa!

JSRS6
October 6th, 2011, 11:35
Ummmm....no....what he is saying is the guy didn't cut the unit or break the seal, rather he went in from the back with some crazy pliers or some articulated probe and snatched it out.

And yes, that about sums up the baking method. Hair dryer works better, localized heat.

Spidercat
October 6th, 2011, 20:11
That's what I was thinking. If that's the case, maybe I'll give it a shot once I get my car back. I've got a few tools that might work.
So, not much force is required provided you get a firm grip on them? I guess I'll look back at some how-to threads.
Edit: Just saw JSRS6's: http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/22417-Aftermarket-Headlights?highlight=corners
Looks good! Diggin the blacked out trim on Avus. Looks like those amber pieces would have to be broken up to pull out thru the hole in the back.
I never like the idea of breaking the seal, though. Too great a risk of me mucking it up.

YANORS6
October 6th, 2011, 22:16
Ummmm....no....what he is saying is the guy didn't cut the unit or break the seal, rather he went in from the back with some crazy pliers or some articulated probe and snatched it out.

And yes, that about sums up the baking method. Hair dryer works better, localized heat.

Hence the saying there's more than one way to skin a cat!

As for me I like taking the least complicated and most efficient. Those other ways seem to complicated but hey more power to them!

streetsoffire
October 11th, 2011, 01:24
@ speedtrapped & dynasty23: I got them done. Cleared, housing painted and spanking glass.

JSRS6
October 11th, 2011, 02:15
@ speedtrapped & dynasty23: I got them done. Cleared, housing painted and spanking glass.

Attachment invalid, please try again.

streetsoffire
October 11th, 2011, 04:05
That pic is not coming up??? I can click on it from my iPad and it comes up......crikey......

JSRS6
October 11th, 2011, 06:02
Repost for streets:

speedtrapped
October 11th, 2011, 12:33
That looks great, now get to work on the engine bay! That needs some tlc

Brav
October 11th, 2011, 17:58
LOL @ that poke!!! gangster.

streetsoffire
October 11th, 2011, 22:25
.......Not really alot of poke.......in that pic, the front of the car is jacked-up; so when its back on the pavement (with the camber that is dialed in), its more like maxi-flush. However, it is kinda hard to hide 10.5fronts, 11.5rears........

Brav
October 11th, 2011, 22:45
Ah I see. well, lots of tire stretch, which is still euro-gangster :D

AndI thought I was badass with 10" all around.. didn't want to stagger.