PDA

View Full Version : Noisy front suspension

UrS6
October 1st, 2011, 00:52
My new to me RS6 seems a little noisy over very small bumps in the front suspension. Rough pavement elicits a slight looseness or rattle that is prolonged over washboard pavement and seems out of place in this car. It almost sounds like bad upper strut mounts if I had to compare it to a condition I have heard before. Bigger bumps and pot holes seem fine. Perhaps the slower and lighter loading of the suspension components makes it more noticable than a quick hard comression. The dealer says they can not replicate the noise. I have not persited with them....yet. DRC was done about 4 months ago at a different dealer. Any thoughts from anyone here?

MaxRS6
October 1st, 2011, 02:06
^I would have them take a look at the subframe/chassis bolts. I've had this issue a few of times and it turned out to be subframe bolts that needed to be tightened. In fact, I had this issue again only a couple of weeks ago. I told the Indy shop to check the subframe bolts as I had this issue a couple of time previously, and that actually turned out to be the issue. They tightened the bolts and the rattle is gone.

If that doesn't do it, consider using some chasis ears (several numbered mikes that are placed in different locations under the car with a receiver in the car). The receiver can select a specific numbered mike, and can be a great help to determine the origination of the noise.

hahnmgh63
October 1st, 2011, 02:15
The Bushings in the front suspension are only good for about 50K to 60K. Need to replace both lower and both upper A-Arms. You can get A-Arm kits for fairly cheap. Just look for A6 kits for 2002-on A6/S6 cars (Aluminum uprights). I have found that the Meyle have better bushings than the Febi/Bilstein and others have said good things about the TRW arms.

UrS6
October 1st, 2011, 03:56
Thanks. I'll try both of those. It's under warranty so hopefully it is something covered by warranty.
The Bushings in the front suspension are only good for about 50K to 60K. Need to replace both lower and both upper A-Arms. You can get A-Arm kits for fairly cheap. Just look for A6 kits for 2002-on A6/S6 cars (Aluminum uprights). I have found that the Meyle have better bushings than the Febi/Bilstein and others have said good things about the TRW arms.

marklar182
October 1st, 2011, 19:21
If it is an extended warranty make sure you put a couple thousand miles on it before going in for a service. They will cry pre-existing right away. Still, you will have to fight the "those are wear and tear items" bluff.