PDA

View Full Version : random battery relocation idea??

kismetcapitan
September 30th, 2011, 13:04
just got a weird brainstorm...some Odyssey batteries are truly small. What if you took two of these, and then stuck them in the little storage bins on either side of the trunk? On the left, you'd have to remove that CD changer rack and toss out the jack, but on the right there seems to be plenty of room - just need to move the air compressor?

I'm no electrician, but would running two of these batteries in parallel do a decent job of keeping the car both running and with a decent amount of reserve capacity? I'm dying to get rid of that breadbox in my trunk, as well as unload the spare tire. A tire puncture kit, a can of fix-a-flat, and the air compressor should be plenty in the spare tire well. I've driven cross-country numerous times, and while I've had to fix flats, I've never had a tire failure so catastrophic that an air pump and puncture kit couldn't fix...

kismetcapitan
September 30th, 2011, 13:37
just measured. An Odyssey PC1200 (8x7x7 approx) will fit in the right side compartment if you trim some of that styrofoam away, just clearing the Bose subwoofer. Yes, it's sticking 40lbs into an extreme corner of the car, but getting rid of the spare ought to help balance things out :) Another one will fit in the left side if that bracket is removed.

JSRS6
September 30th, 2011, 17:11
I would say go for it! And definitely in parallel, dont want one bad battery to put you OOC.

kismetcapitan
September 30th, 2011, 17:52
I'd have to use an isolator then if I want to keep one battery as a backup, but it should otherwise work, and since I'd be using two, I can go smaller.

It's on my to-do list! I've already visualized the positive leads; I just need to find the best ground point at the rear of the car, and have equal-length runs from the negative terminals to the same grounding point - technically not required, but balancing the batteries as much as possible is a good thing.

LIRS6
September 30th, 2011, 18:37
I'd have to use an isolator then if I want to keep one battery as a backup, but it should otherwise work, and since I'd be using two, I can go smaller.

It's on my to-do list! I've already visualized the positive leads; I just need to find the best ground point at the rear of the car, and have equal-length runs from the negative terminals to the same grounding point - technically not required, but balancing the batteries as much as possible is a good thing.

Why not just go the route of a Euro conversion - put the battery in the spare wheel well, given that you don't want a spare anyway

JSRS6
September 30th, 2011, 18:58
I'd think availability of parts. Much easier to go his route than euro route. Both ways accomplish the same goal.

JSRS6
September 30th, 2011, 18:59
I seem to remember snoopra waitin a little while.

kismetcapitan
September 30th, 2011, 20:28
plus, I can carry the spare tire if desired with this layout. I'm surprised it hasn't been done before, but maybe I'm just really, really annoyed by the battery breadbox!! :P

na1mt
October 1st, 2011, 02:13
Better just make sure you plug it in every night when it gets chilly....not a big fan of them.

hahnmgh63
October 1st, 2011, 02:21
I am running a single Odyssey 925t (been discussed many times here in the past) and it is plenty, definitely no need for two PC1200's, if you want two smaller ones do two PC680's in parallel. I am using a single PC680 in my '74 911 that I have a high compression 3.6ltr ('92 motor) in it and it cranks fine but not a lot of Reserve capacity but two of them would crank a relatively low compression 4.2ltr motor with plenty of Reserve capacity. If my RS6 is going to sit more than about 7 to 10 days without driving I plug it into a Battery Tender Junior, same for the 911 with the smaller battery.

kismetcapitan
October 1st, 2011, 06:16
I'm considering two PC925s at the moment. If one's good enough, two should provide plenty of reserve battery power.

kismetcapitan
October 10th, 2011, 16:32
ok, I've figured out how to fit a PC925 in each corner of the trunk. Will give it a shot soon; just have to figure out where I'm going to do balanced ground leads.

JSRS6
October 10th, 2011, 17:59
Nice name for your beast. I named mine Mungo right after i got her.

kismetcapitan
October 25th, 2011, 20:26
ok, I think what I'll do is install a single 925, see how that goes. If I feel like I want more reserve capacity, I'll add another. I fold down the rear seats a lot for cargo hauling and that damned breadbox is driving me nuts.

The battery baseplate is welded in; I'm going to have to get that removed and then the remaining bits ground off. Come to think of it, buying a grinder would cost less than having it done. Just don't know what I'd do with a grinder afterwards...:P

lswing
October 25th, 2011, 21:24
I've been running the pc925t for about 3 months, perfect. Just left it 3.5 days, started good as new...I don't so much mind having the battery in a cavernous trunk, but could be more efficient if tucked up by the seats with custom carpet.

kismetcapitan
November 11th, 2011, 06:49
I tend to carry a lot of long objects (guitar and bass cases, misc band equipment), so I need to be able to slide things in with the rear seats down. Battery is going in under the Bose subwoofer. Unsure if I should buy a grinder or have the battery cradle professionally removed - there are four welds I would have to cut, then grind down.

I'll run this way until I need a jump; then I'll think about adding a second PC925 on the left side. If I never need a jump, that's 26 pounds and $200 saved!

lswing
November 11th, 2011, 16:55
Sounds like a great mod, give us some pics of the process! My impression is you'll be good with that 925 for a long time.

ttboost
November 11th, 2011, 19:41
Until it gets cold...or you foget and leave your doors or trunk open for an extended amount of time...now you have to pay attention to those things...

lswing
November 11th, 2011, 19:48
Guessing you get some colder temps in CT. So you lost power from the 925 due to cold and sitting for how long? Luckily we only hit 30 degrees for a month or so during the winter here, maybe a week of teens. A few cold days so far, but had good cranking power in the AM.

ttboost
November 11th, 2011, 19:51
I haven't done the RS6 yet, but did my 996 turbo when I had it. Went to the track and had to work on it for about 15-20 minutes with both doors and trunklid open, started REAL hard...If it sat more than a week, started hard. If I left it outside in the cold all day, probably wouldn't start...but I saved 39 lbs!!!!

kismetcapitan
November 12th, 2011, 00:03
if I have *any* difficulties, I'll put another PC925 in the left side compartment (under the rack where the toolkit is).

ttboost
November 12th, 2011, 00:05
if I have *any* difficulties, I'll put another PC925 in the left side compartment (under the rack where the toolkit is).

I think that is where the Meth is supposed to go?

ben916
November 12th, 2011, 02:01
Are there part numbers for the replacement carpet and right side trunk compartment and spare tire tray?
I have seen photos but no part numbers?

The US RS6 brothers need our Euro RS6 brothers to take photos and send us part numbers for these items!
The bread box in the trunk needs to go!

4everRS
November 12th, 2011, 04:12
Exactly!
I think that is where the Meth is supposed to go?

I would love to relocate the batt. I want the spare though. I also want to keep my meth kit. I also want the car to start when its -30 F here in MN.