PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Delivery Problems

RCV3
October 9th, 2003, 16:10
Have any of you had delivery of your respective cars delayed due to mechanical problems? My car arrived several days ago and the dealer has found multiple faults (they say there are various electronic issues - not mechanical) that have required them to send to Germany for parts. I am getting very worried. I don't particularly want the local mechanic banging around in the engine bay if I can avoid it.

The other fact that gives me pause is that the car alredy had 47 miles on it when it arrived at the dealer. I know these cars are tested before they are shipped but 47 miles seems a bit higher than others have been seeing. I wonder if there were problems which they thought they had fixed in Germany, only to have them arise again here in the states. I am seriously considering telling them to keep the car and credit me towards an A8l (I know it is a very different car - but I am a lot older than I was when I ordered the RS6) or, given that this dealership owns a lot of other interesting dealerships locally, a different make. Possibly a Cayenne Turbo. Any thoughts from the panel of experts assembled here?

Rally
October 9th, 2003, 16:17
47 miles is right on for the cars put through the 35 mile test loop.
I wouldn't worry about the defective parts issue.

btumble
October 9th, 2003, 19:27
I don't particularly want the local mechanic banging around in the engine bay if I can avoid it.

The service departments are supposed to be 'RS6' certified if the dealership wants to sell the car. Inquire if you want for piece of mind, but I think you should not be concerned.

BTW, I was also considering Cayenne Turbo. It is a great vehicle but it is an SUV... not the same ride. Depends what you want.

Bauer
October 9th, 2003, 22:32
I personally would tell them I don't want that particular car but I do want a RS6...GET ME ONE. Actually, I would ask them to specifically identify what is wrong with the car in writing and submit it to me to see if I feel it warrants me asking for a NEW RS6. The car is BRAND NEW and if there are MANY problems I would not want it. Just my 2 cents.:cheers:

JAXRS6
October 10th, 2003, 03:08
Not a lot; a little. Mine had 36 at my first dealership visit, and although Rally says the test loop is 35 miles, my recollection is 30. So, to me, 36 seems right because the dealer also does a test drive.

When coupled with the problems, though, the few miles more on your car could be very important. If I was you I would get an accounting of the miles, and assurance that the car runs well, before proceeding with purchase. If that's too risky or unpleasant for you, go for something else.

Snow
October 10th, 2003, 12:07
Originally posted by Bauer
I personally would tell them I don't want that particular car but I do want a RS6...GET ME ONE. Actually, I would ask them to specifically identify what is wrong with the car in writing and submit it to me to see if I feel it warrants me asking for a NEW RS6. The car is BRAND NEW and if there are MANY problems I would not want it. Just my 2 cents.:cheers:
Bauer is right on if you ask me.
In my eyes this isn't specific to a RS 6, it goes for all cars. The reason you are buying a NEW car (correct me if I'm wrong) is because you want to be guaranteed that this car is in perfect condition with NO errors and no previous drivers (plus that there might be no used RS 6's available in the U.S.).
Even if it hurts to wait another month to get another RS 6, I would say that I think you should consider that.
Whatever your choice will be, I certainly hope that you get a trouble-free time of ownership!
:bye:

Finnus
October 10th, 2003, 12:33
RCV3,

I'm in the Bauer and Snow camp.

I wouldn't go sour on the RS6 just because one has some trouble. Very few (none that I'm aware of) owners have reported such early troubles on this website. There may be other reasons for switching to another make/model.

This much trouble this early is BAD news. You're paying a lot of money for the beast - it should be perfect. Find out what it is (like Bauer said, in writing), then make your decision.

If you decide to stick with the RS6 and you don't like their reply to what the probelm is, demand (you're entitled for the price) for another RS6. If you don't even care what the problem is at this point, demand another.

If you're in the US, there seem to be models sitting on showroom floors. See if your dealer can't do some "horse trading" with another dealer for one. That way, you won't have to wait.

Finnus

:addict: :addict: :addict:

JP4
October 10th, 2003, 14:15
My beast had 29 miles right off the truck and 32 miles after the dealer PDI test drive.

I agree with some others here. Get a complete accounting of the problems then make an informed decision on whether you want another RS6 or not. If a new RS6 with no problems is what you want then THAT is what you should get. Especially for that kind of money.

At least the dealer didn't try to deliver it to you with those problems. That would have been unconscienable IMHO.

nene
October 10th, 2003, 15:06
Get it in writing what the issues were with the car prior to delivery, and tell them you need at least a day to think before making decision.
If the issues are minor, I can't imagine it being a deal braker, but make sure to have it in writing.

Given that the car seemed to have had some issues, they probably fully tested the car more then other deliveries. My car had about 45miles when I picked it up. More then I had hoped for, but other cars had similar numbers.