PDA

View Full Version : uneven ride height - sigh

kismetcapitan
September 26th, 2011, 06:28
so I just brought a yardstick out to the garage and measured the height from the ground to the center of the arches. Eyeballing the car, it appeared that, although the stealership did significantly lower the rear, something was off.

And yep, the front right is 1/4" higher than the front left. And the right rear is also 1/4" higher than the left rear. I used a construction level on the ground - it's flat, and I also set it on the rear bumper - also flat.

Is it an issue of letting the DRC settle and redistribute and balance shock pressures? But I did notice bigger wheelwell gaps on the right side when I picked up the car after they adjusted the rear suspension. Maybe they need to repeat the procedure and REALLY get the car's weight to settle on the rear suspension bushings? Like, loosen the bolts, then drive a bit with three linebackers in the back seat and some cement bags in the trunk??

kismetcapitan
September 26th, 2011, 09:45
ok, I'm a retard, I got things backwards. Front right and rear left sit 1/4" higher. The DRC is cross-linked; could it be that one circuit is at a higher pressure than the other? This really doesn't make sense to me...maybe I'm just sleep-deprived. Dammit.

speedtrapped
September 26th, 2011, 11:05
Get coil overs.....all I have ever heard about DRC and rebuilt DRC is eventually they fail. Sorry, it's just the enivatable.

skribe
September 26th, 2011, 15:12
I had a similar problem after control arm replacement. Took two attempts at the dealership, they kept insisting it was fine. Had to walk around the car with a measure to show them I had 3/4" difference between height of rear wheels and drive them through some sweepers to show them side-stepping behavior.

They finally repressurized/calibrated both DRC circuits, did the weighted loosen/shake/tighten and then a full alignment. DRC has performed beautifully for two years and 20k miles (knock on wood) since then.

kismetcapitan
September 26th, 2011, 16:16
I figured as much - the DRC calibration must be off between the two circuits, although not as severe. It's about 1/4"~3/8" difference between sides, but they're opposite.

Is it really that hard to get a car to stand level?? Ok, bets on whether Audi Nashville will feel responsible for making the car right, or dick around and charge me hourly for fiddling with no results?

Does anyone have the latest DRC workshop manual on pdf? Or are accurate instructions for calibration and setup on my Bentley shop CD (which I haven't played with yet)?