PDA

View Full Version : difference between stock and SE exhaust?

kismetcapitan
September 24th, 2011, 22:55
so I got my first real good look under the car, and noted that the exhaust is in distinct sections:

1) downpipes
2) flex-pipe and main cat (need to trash that!)
3) resonator section
4) final mufflers

Is it just #4 that's different with the SE exhaust? Or both #3 and #4?

Anyways, for my local custom exhaust shop, replacing #2 and #3 with just plain ol' pipe (mandrel-bent to fit) will be cheap and should add some meat to the exhaust note as well as reduce backpressure?

hahnmgh63
September 25th, 2011, 00:39
Your better off gutting your pre-cats or gettig new downpipes as they are the biggest restriction compared to the resonators or rear mufflers. The SE and regular exhaust both have the same resonators, just the SE exhaust has different rear mufflers.

JSRS6
September 25th, 2011, 01:07
Just straight pipe the whole thing! From the turbos to the tips :hihi:

kismetcapitan
September 25th, 2011, 03:43
Your better off gutting your pre-cats or gettig new downpipes as they are the biggest restriction compared to the resonators or rear mufflers. The SE and regular exhaust both have the same resonators, just the SE exhaust has different rear mufflers.

I'd have already bought downpipes but you've scared me off with stories of snapping off one of the studs...then having to pull the engine to fix that :P I know the downpipes are the key; I just have to get the balls to tackle the project. Torquing on the very last of eight nuts, sweating and with my hands wedged awkwardly in, only to hear a SNAP, indicating many thousands of dollars of labor charges...that takes balls of steel. Balls of steel.

I've decided to permanently remove the main cats, and then use the modularity of the exhaust system to swap things in and out, like straight pipes to the SE mufflers, or stock resonators to straight pipes, and of course, full straight pipes for track days or hooligan Saturday nights...

4everRS
September 25th, 2011, 03:58
I'd have already bought downpipes but you've scared me off with stories of snapping off one of the studs...then having to pull the engine to fix that :P I know the downpipes are the key; I just have to get the balls to tackle the project. Torquing on the very last of eight nuts, sweating and with my hands wedged awkwardly in, only to hear a SNAP, indicating many thousands of dollars of labor charges...that takes balls of steel. Balls of steel..

Hehe. I did this with Pat's help. Don't really know how we didn't snap one. Had to follow the threads with a tap on a couple holes to clean them out after removing the studs. Get some Kroil and you'll be alright. NOT WD-40. NOT PB Blaster.

Kroil.

kismetcapitan
September 25th, 2011, 04:22
Kroil eh? Duly noted. But isn't one of the four bolts per side something like near impossible to reach? Or can it be done with one of those articulated wrenches?

4everRS
September 25th, 2011, 04:28
We had it on a lift. Used a Transverse bar supporting the rear of the engine. Took out the rear cradle bolts and loosened the fronts. Lowered the rear of the engine (and trans). Didn't need to take off the shaft. It pivots quite a bit. Long extension - like 3 feet and breaker bar. You will feel like you are breaking shit when they come loose.

kismetcapitan
September 25th, 2011, 08:00
You will feel like you are breaking shit when they come loose.

like I said, balls of steel :)

uppo44
November 15th, 2011, 05:24
Hi, was the original question answered? what is the difference between the standard and the SE exhaust, what does SE refer to? How do I know what i have?

hahnmgh63
November 15th, 2011, 06:06
The standard and SE (Sound Enhanced) both have the same resonators but the SE has different rear mufflers to give it a slightly, very slightly louder and deeper sound. The standard is also welded in one piece where the SE is separated into 3 pieces so much easier to ship without cutting. And the standard exhaust has chrome tips and the SE has Black tips.

lswing
November 15th, 2011, 06:11
SE is matte black, and maybe a few other details...

uppo44
November 15th, 2011, 07:24
Thanks for the info. I just purchased a 2004 rs6. I pick it up next week. I did notice that it had black exhaust tips.

marklar182
November 15th, 2011, 13:03
Main cats are not the main concern of restriction. It's those pesky precasts.