PDA

View Full Version : CV boots - why? why? why?

kismetcapitan
September 23rd, 2011, 18:18
I've been through this for two decades - front CV boots cracking. With all the technological advancements in cars, no one has been able to invent a CV boot that won't crack after 50,000 miles??

JSRS6
September 23rd, 2011, 18:24
I'm sure they could make the boots out of silicone, would last longer I'm sure.

skribe
September 23rd, 2011, 18:41
Haha, 50k miles. Another delightful idiosyncrasy of these cars is their ability to chew through outer CV boots for some reason I don't fully understand.

I had two outers last a mere 15k on my car. Just replaced both axles this summer, felt funny putting new boots on aging axles a second time.

speedtrapped
September 23rd, 2011, 18:43
my, driver side has split, again, w/ 2k miles on it....

kismetcapitan
September 23rd, 2011, 19:26
it's not just these cars - most cars with front wheel drive will crack them. It's the flexing when steering...but I ask again, with all the miracle engineering we've accomplished in recent years, we still can't make a CV boot that won't crack.

I suspect they want them to - you can earn lots of money through parts as a manufacturer.

skribe
September 23rd, 2011, 20:06
it's not just these cars - most cars with front wheel drive will crack them. It's the flexing when steering...

Haha I know how a CV joint works.... my current front-driver has ~ 300 hp and has had one set of boots for 8 years and 60k miles.

What I'm saying is these cars (or at least some of them) chew through outer CV boots at an alarming clip.

And yeah, you'd think somebody could come up with a boot that wasn't made out of the same material as grandpa's galoshes.

kilian tuning
September 23rd, 2011, 20:27
how do we know except for the noise if its broken? is it visible or can you feel some wear...?

4everRS
September 23rd, 2011, 21:35
It's visible. Just get under there and start moving the boot around. That and you'll have an f-ing mess of grease flung worse that a monkey throwing feces.

ben916
September 23rd, 2011, 22:48
I've been through this for two decades - front CV boots cracking. With all the technological advancements in cars, no one has been able to invent a CV boot that won't crack after 50,000 miles??

Yeah! We sent a man to the moon right?! oh.... wait.... that was faked....

JSRS6
September 24th, 2011, 01:24
It's visible. Just get under there and start moving the boot around. That and you'll have an f-ing mess of grease flung worse that a monkey throwing feces.

Ask me how I know...that s#!t was a mess!