PDA

View Full Version : Who has Navigation in their C5??

RSSIK
September 22nd, 2011, 20:55
How does it look? What system are you using(OEM or aftrmkt)? Are you willing to post a picture of yours? Is it exactly what you wanted or would you do it differently if you could? How does the system work? Did it take any extensive customization or was it fairly simple? Just curious because I am getting ready to install mine but it will be a fully custom job and am wondering if its worth it... :rs6kiss:

P.S. I couldnt find another thread like this but if I am wrong sorry to start another..

ben916
September 22nd, 2011, 21:50
The OEM nav was an option that was klugee at best.
Text based navigation and verbal directions thru the headunit without a visual map based screen.

Upon a test with DuckwingDuck's OEM nav unit in his RS6 (currently owned by Speedtrapped) and my Garmin Nuvi 265wt and one Julian run with DHall1, Audi5000cstq, Benman, Deeno, and several others. After leaving the Lunch where the lady with the TT won all the raffle prizes, Greg had to get me back to Temecula to my "sewing machine" of a car (pre - RS6). He entered the directions in the OEM nav and after about 10 minutes of f*cking with it, I pushed saved location, RS6 Temecula Meet and off we went. The Garmin was SPOT on... The OEM was about 100' off - meaning we had turned already and were ripping down the road and the OEM stated "Turn right on Hwy 79 west" - it never caught up...

You would do better with an RNS-E and it is factory look...

The OEM nav is another thing for me to send back to AoA along with the DRC...

nene
September 22nd, 2011, 21:52
I went the OEM route (http://www.htms.org/rnse.html) (Click to find installation instructions)

http://www.htms.org/img/122005/RS6Dash/rs6dash5.jpg

http://www.htms.org/img/122005/RS6Dash/rs6dash1.jpg

hahnmgh63
September 22nd, 2011, 22:09
RNS-E with the factory Bluetooth, very integrated, the only way to go.

RSSIK
September 22nd, 2011, 23:09
I have an RNS-E that i would love to install i just know it will take lots of time and customizing to get it to look like nene's. It looks great. I would love to find a C5 faceplate so if anyone is hiding theirs and isnt using it hand it over for a chunk..

skribe
September 22nd, 2011, 23:28
+1 on RNS-E. I briefly had a pioneer AVIC in the dash, and while it kicked ass features-wise, it just didn't look right in the car so I got rid of it and bought an RNS-E off the audizine classifieds.

The RNS-E just looks so good in the dash, it brings it all together. The dial destination input method is a bit annoying, but the nav works very well.

My current setup is

2004 RNS-E with 260 firmware to enable aux input
homemade aux input cable
New screen (eBay)
combo line-in/charging cable for iPhone (eBay) hardwired to 12v and aux in
spliced into RNS-E line-out for JL sub amp and sub
disabled factory sub

pretty happy with that.

But my current fantasy goes like this:

2010 model RNS-E (new high-res screen and faster processor) with C5 faceplate swapped
6.5" touchscreen overlay integrated into RNS-E (it's been done by a few others)
video input adaptor connected to integrated mac mini running OS X and Win7 via fusion (for VAG-COM in the dash)
JL audio cleansweep EQ box
4 channel amp
new drivers all around
mono sub amp and sub box.

Can't go wrong with RNS-E... I don't like talking on the phone in my car hands-free or not, so don't need bluetooth but I understand the factory hardware works very well.

Brav
September 23rd, 2011, 02:15
but my current fantasy goes like this:

2010 model rns-e (new high-res screen and faster processor) with c5 faceplate swapped
6.5" touchscreen overlay integrated into rns-e (it's been done by a few others)
video input adaptor connected to integrated mac mini running os x and win7 via fusion (for vag-com in the dash)
jl audio cleansweep eq box
4 channel amp
new drivers all around
mono sub amp and sub box.

Can't go wrong with rns-e... I don't like talking on the phone in my car hands-free or not, so don't need bluetooth but i understand the factory hardware works very well.

moar info

Elevens
September 23rd, 2011, 02:43
This is just for Illustrative purposes only. As it is the Kenwood DNX9960 which I can not recommend due to numerous software bugs. Also it is very Sluggish.The Unit is very feature laden-ed Including Voice Recognition, Ipod control, Blue Tooth, USB input, a very clean Pre-amp and Amp and countless other features which I don't even know about. However Its too buggy for me to recommend. If I had to do it again I would stay away from Kenwood. RNSE's look very good, but the Technology is too Ancient (8+ years old) for me. But any how this is how the Install looked.......................

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Miscelaneous/P1010214.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Miscelaneous/P1010213.jpg

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/Miscelaneous/P1010167.jpg

kismetcapitan
September 23rd, 2011, 03:30
after considering multiple options...I added Tomtom to my iPhone. Not the best as it's signal dependent, but it does get the job done around town. iPhone cradle is inches away from my right hand on the steering wheel.

skribe
September 23rd, 2011, 14:41
moar info

I'll put together some links if I get a good solid block of time to goof off. (skribe-time has been in short supply these days!)

There is a collection of hardware that could be put together that would be the ultimate solution.

DHall1
September 23rd, 2011, 14:47
After all this...Tomtom? Really

after considering multiple options...I added Tomtom to my iPhone. Not the best as it's signal dependent, but it does get the job done around town. iPhone cradle is inches away from my right hand on the steering wheel.

aussie rs6
September 23rd, 2011, 15:33
After all this...Tomtom? Really

re the use of a TomTom in the beast, apparently here in Australia, when the TomTom is on, the TomTom software tracks the position of your vehicle and speed and relays it to TomTom central. Apparently useful information for places visited for potential advertisers etc. who purchase this information from TomTom. Unfortunately also records your speed. So i would never have a TomTom on when carrying out 'spirited' high speed test runs.

This is similar to the way mobile phones can be tracked as you move from tower to tower.

This TomTom speed and position recording may not be the situation in the US where privacy laws are a lot stronger than here.

:addict::addict::addict:

MaxRS6
September 23rd, 2011, 16:22
Not so sure about the U.S. privacy laws. Recent news reports show that On Star continues to track information even when the consumer cancels their subscription. It is crazy how we have all lost our privacy and we just go with the flow without a chirp. It won't be long until they implant chips in us at birth.

Essentially, our gov't seems to search any of us at any time they deem appropriate, or just plain "want to". Random check points, requests for identification without cause. Every day you can see a cops show and see law enforcement requesting information (let me see your papers/id, where r u going?, where u been?) without any cause other than someone walking down the street. What a pile of crapola!!

ben916
September 23rd, 2011, 16:38
Just like the insurance company (progressive?) that will "save you $$$" by installing a watchdog module that notes the speed, acceleration, frequency of driving, times of driving, etc to take those stats and use them against you.

Yeah and turn off that Google Location service or whatever it is - lets everyone know where you are or have been...

I seem to remember a thread about how to remove the OnStar Module???
I would gladly install it onto the Tijuana Police Chief to track his vehicle movements ...

Elevens
September 23rd, 2011, 17:10
Maybe I should Clear this thing...............

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz237/vintron/P1010632.jpg

aussie rs6
September 23rd, 2011, 19:13
only 153mph with all those desirable mods!!! (on a private road of course). You are not even trying.:hahahehe:
You will have mooch logging in soon!!

canuckinboston
September 23rd, 2011, 19:14
Nice.

:)

Elevens
September 23rd, 2011, 23:20
only 153mph with all those desirable mods!!! (on a private road of course). You are not even trying.:hahahehe:
You will have mooch logging in soon!!

Mooch is my Idol. Damn him for selling his car and leaving us.......................

ben916
September 24th, 2011, 00:29
Mooch is my Idol. Damn him for selling his car and leaving us.......................

What was left to upgrade?!?!?