PDA

View Full Version : MOT questions.

kilian tuning
September 22nd, 2011, 19:50
My car is going for a new mot tomorrow and i have a couple of questions.

1.how do they test the brakes on a 4x4 car when front and rear are tested seperately? (so when the rear tyres are on the floor and the front are on the wheel in the floor which drive the front wheels, my rear wheels arent moving while the fronts are tested....)

2. Do they check the cv joints? (because my front has some flapping noises on bumpy roads and shuddering at 100 km/u only when the engine is cold...cv joints or/and engine mounts/drc? can you feel it from the outside if the cv joints are gone...and need be replaced? Expensive or a diy? i will have them checked also if its not a mot issue, otherwise i wont mention it... :))

3. is it best to do the emission test with a warm engine (because the mot station is only 10 km from my home, if so, i will drive it hot...)

kilian tuning
September 23rd, 2011, 09:25
so i went this morning to the motstation.
And of course, after i started the engine and put it into Drive, the abs esp light came on...
So, no brakelights again... so it failed.
Except from that everything was perfect, so apart from the (again) broken brakelightswitch and the rear foglights didnt work, dont know if thats related to the brakelightswitch.

Within 2 weeks i have to drive again to the motstation to let them see the light s are working and pass the mot.

And, while it was ona ramp, i saw again some oilleaking around the last driveshaft seal, which they (Audi) replaced 2000 km ago. So i gave them a call and it will be sorted on 10th of october.

And what i discovered after my new bimotos were fitted, that the outer part of the tyres dont make contact with the ground. they are 3,4 bar.
The previous owner had the same amount of pressure, even recommended by the tyrefitter.
So i will have to find out the exact recommended tyrepressure.

Cheers

kilian tuning
September 23rd, 2011, 18:15
i bought myself (i lost count...)again a brakelightswitch but i cant get it to work...
im sick of it, i think/hope Audi stealer can solve it...maybe abs related instead of the bls...

ben916
September 23rd, 2011, 22:50
ok, I will bite - what the hell is a MOT?!?!?!

4everRS
September 23rd, 2011, 23:22
Ha, jeez Ben. Don't you know anything? Maturity Operational Test ...duh! I don't know what to say about kilian failing his. Yikes!

Kidding - Ministry of Transportation. Google it.
ok, I will bite - what the hell is a MOT?!?!?!

kilian tuning
September 24th, 2011, 17:08
whats the secret behind the brakelightswitch installation?
ive got my 4th broken now and cant get it to work...

kilian tuning
September 28th, 2011, 11:00
so i went this morning to the Audi stealer to solve the brakelight terror...
it isnt the brakelightswitch, its getting power, and they connected the wires without the brakelightswitch in between, but no brakelight at all...
i could leave the car the whole day to let them sort it out ($$$$$$$$$)
ill try this forum first to maybe save some money:)
Fuse 13 (brakelight) was ok.
What can this be?
Symptoms: no brakelight, no cruisecontrol, abs/esp lights on...

SteveKen
September 28th, 2011, 13:27
Do your emergency flashers work?

I've seen weird things happen when emergency flasher switch goes bad.

Also, do you have any issues with the windows, interior lights or locking?

Chances are you might have a bad central locking unit, located under the driver's feet under the carpet.

Are you able to do an auto scan with vag-com?

kilian tuning
September 28th, 2011, 18:49
no none of those things...
no vagcom either. it drives me insane.

kilian tuning
October 5th, 2011, 12:50
im busy solving the brakelight again...
ive checked if its got power, yes it has, it has power on the 2 wires (both in one connection point in the connector..) next to the red/yellow one. they are both white/red coloured. Dont know if thats ok? do i have to connect those white/red ones to red/black to see if its working?

kilian tuning
October 5th, 2011, 13:58
update: something went wrong...
prnds is aluminated, brakesymbol is flashing red, abs is aluminated...
and it wont start anymore, f*cking hell... and i cant get to the fusebox because thats the side which is close to the garagewall... :(

MaxRS6
October 5th, 2011, 14:12
Ouuch- The only time my prnds lit up was when the transmission went south. Hopefully, you have a different issue. At this point, it may be best to have it towed to a reputable shop.

kilian tuning
October 5th, 2011, 14:19
i hope its a fuse because i was messing with the brakelight connector when suddenly some sparks appeared....

MaxRS6
October 5th, 2011, 14:50
^ Sounds plausible and a lot mo better. You need to get a door put into the garage wall side..;0

kilian tuning
October 5th, 2011, 16:34
dont know if the brakelightswitch connector is wired properly...
there was power on the white wire next to the red/black one.

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/mavada1/DSC07082.jpg

this is what my dish is showing...
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/mavada1/DSC07087.jpg

kilian tuning
October 7th, 2011, 18:59
when i power the red/black wire (brakelights) with the white one (which is power) my rearlights burn...instead of the brakelights...

kilian tuning
October 10th, 2011, 19:49
ive found out what my switch beneath the dash is for...it connects power from fuse 13 to the red/yellow wire from the brakeswitch...
the red/yellow wire attracted the attention.
Dont know why it is wired this way, a switch with fuse between switch and fuse 13.
perhaps it is valuable when in a persuit with the police in the dark...so no lights are shown...or abs deactivation for what reason...
dont know how i can remove that switch and connect the red/yellow wire directly to the rearside of the fusebox of fuse 13. is it plugged in with a connector at the rear of the fusebox?
...so my brakelight is working now and passed the mot.

4everRS
October 11th, 2011, 00:43
Veddy interesting. You may want to check the spare tire/battery well for hints on cocaine. hehe, kidding.

So does this also kill the license plate lights? I wouldn't ever want to be in the position to feel like I have to use that feature, but there may be that one situation.......
ive found out what my switch beneath the dash is for...it connects power from fuse 13 to the red/yellow wire from the brakeswitch...
the red/yellow wire attracted the attention.
Dont know why it is wired this way, a switch with fuse between switch and fuse 13.
perhaps it is valuable when in a persuit with the police in the dark...so no lights are shown...or abs deactivation for what reason...
dont know how i can remove that switch and connect the red/yellow wire directly to the rearside of the fusebox of fuse 13. is it plugged in with a connector at the rear of the fusebox?
...so my brakelight is working now and passed the mot.

JSRS6
October 11th, 2011, 00:51
I have tested this. Don't ask me why. If you are driving the car with the lights off, there are NO lights on, unless you hit the brakes.