PDA

View Full Version : Early signs of failing DRC

ntrcptr
September 22nd, 2011, 01:29
Just wondering? Any DRC write-ups for a layman?:looking:

na1mt
September 22nd, 2011, 01:39
From what I remember....clunking sound coming from rear of car....if it hasn't been replaced yet just take it to the dealer it's free.

4everRS
September 22nd, 2011, 02:28
Struts will be leaking fluid. You'll have a noticeably sloppier feel from the rear of the car.

nene
September 22nd, 2011, 02:39
I easily noticed that something was wrong when the front wheels sounded like they were too bouncy over uneven pavement. I did not notice the rear fail, only front wheels.

ben916
September 22nd, 2011, 06:03
let's see:
clunk in the trunk? = yes
weeping at the tops of the struts? = yes
car sits uneven? = yes
on relatively smooth roads, car suspension sounds like it is working overtime? = yes
backing out of driveway, car bounces more than once, like a 1970 LTD? = yes
driving over long/large speed bumps, the nose of the car hits if you go more than 20mph? = yes
erratic staccato of three or more "sounds" in a curve? = yes

These are the current conditions I have...
I am nervous at Dave's suggestion = 80mph and weave back/forth - car should be flat with no lean

Most of us know the feeling of a solid functional suspension - you will know when it goes/gone
You know when you hit a small seam in the road and the suspension rebounds like it hit a 2x4....or a large pothole.

skribe
September 22nd, 2011, 15:25
Ben, fix your suspension, dude. You could easily eat shit if you had to do an unexpected evasive maneuver at speed. Very dangerous to drive around on blown struts.

If Coilovers are too big a nut, you could buy a spring and strut package spec'ed for a C5 S6 off tirerack.com.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Audi&autoModel=S6+Avant&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=

$550 for the parts for KYB/H&R. Would work very nicely and give you a little drop to boot. Yeah the S6 avant is heavier in the rear but not but much at all...

ben916
September 22nd, 2011, 17:50
Ben, fix your suspension, dude. You could easily eat shit if you had to do an unexpected evasive maneuver at speed. Very dangerous to drive around on blown struts.

If Coilovers are too big a nut, you could buy a spring and strut package spec'ed for a C5 S6 off tirerack.com.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/Susptabl.jsp?autoMake=Audi&autoModel=S6+Avant&autoYear=2002&autoModClar=

$550 for the parts for KYB/H&R. Would work very nicely and give you a little drop to boot. Yeah the S6 avant is heavier in the rear but not but much at all...

Aftermarket warranty, my friend... :)
Timing is the issue right now..

skribe
September 22nd, 2011, 20:19
Dealer gives me a loaner car when she's in for service with my Fidelity warranty... Q5 or A4.

But I'm pretty sure they'd consider post-recall failed struts a wear item and deny coverage.

MaxRS6
September 22nd, 2011, 20:28
If you have DRC- you have a failing DRC...00

http://visibility911.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/fish-in-a-barrel.gif

kismetcapitan
September 26th, 2011, 05:05
from what people's reports here say, DRC failure seems to be 100%. But that can't be absolutely true - surely the failure rate, while perhaps high, can't be 100%?

Anyone have a reliable statistic for DRC failure rates post-recall?

4everRS
September 26th, 2011, 05:19
definatley not 100%

Mine is great post recall. I have 1/8" difference front to rear and the car handles good. I would bet that most(not all) post recall jobs are also good. The thing that they left out was to make sure they have load applied to the suspension when they tighten the bolts.

kismetcapitan
September 26th, 2011, 06:04
I just had that sorted (applying load when tightening up the rear suspension), and it helped quite a bit. No signs of my DRC acting up either.

Although many systems failed, it could not have been (I assume) an overwhelming number, or Audi would have given up on the system. But DRC made it onto the C6 RS6. But as interesting as DRC may be, the magnetic dampers really are what I think is the future of suspensions. It's too bad F1 banned active suspensions in the 80s and that Lotus dropped the ball on their development. But magnetic dampers do get mighty close to the goals of truly active suspension management.