PDA

View Full Version : Vibration ...

LIRS6
September 20th, 2011, 20:28
So, this happens consistently .. at hwy speed, some vibration in steering wheel which also felt by my feet (on gas pedal, etc). If I then brake hard, the vibration subsequently all but disappears.

I am discounting unbalanced wheels (the vibe shouldn't go away if that were the case, right?)

Had dealer check for loose front end/steering rack last time in for service, they found nothing.

Any thoughts?

TIA

RSSIK
September 20th, 2011, 21:32
tie rod? bad control arm bushings? im having a similar issue. I may be completely wrong too.

Brav
September 21st, 2011, 01:51
vibration problems are killing me on this car.. tough to say if it goes away during braking. check bearings.. put car on rack and try to shake wheel in all directions checking for any movement. could be rear bushings.. unlikely tho.

kilian tuning
September 21st, 2011, 08:08
maybe the fantastic drc system, i got vibrations only when the engine is cold...my steeringwheel is shuddering like hell at approx. 100 km/u.
After the engine is hot, it disapeared...

Sorry, i see you have ohlins...:)

ben916
September 21st, 2011, 17:16
i got vibrations only when the engine is cold...my steeringwheel is shuddering like hell at approx. 100 km/u.
After the engine is hot, it disapeared...

I have the exact same thing, the vibration is very slight and since she is my daily driver - it doesn't happen unless she sits for 2+ days...

ttboost
September 21st, 2011, 17:30
Flat spot in tires or water stuck in wheels (if you have wheels that contour out toward face)?

4everRS
September 21st, 2011, 18:38
Check control arms. Chance that you front, lower, rear arms may wiggle around a bit. If so, it makes sense that the vibration goes away upon hard braking, pressure is being so solidly applied any slop would become irrelevant.

Elevens
September 21st, 2011, 18:50
Long Shot check your CV joints. Had a severe vibration issue with My Allroad a while ago which occurred only above a certain speed. There was absolutely nothing pointing faulty CV joints. However at 70,000mi I figured replacement time was close. So I did, and all Vibration issues disappeared. This is usually a cure all for a lot of Strange Vibration issues. I know that Bad CV joints are usually indicated by Clicking or Groaning noises when turning the wheel, but not all the time. Just food for thought.......

ben916
September 21st, 2011, 21:41
Flat spot in tires or water stuck in wheels (if you have wheels that contour out toward face)?

Only started for me when I got 'Kooked

Brav
September 21st, 2011, 21:47
Only started for me when I got 'Kooked

Crap, I have Hankook V12s too!

4everRS
September 21st, 2011, 23:37
Pat had the same issues with the Hankooks. According to him, it went away after several miles.

Doesn't sound like the problems LIRS6 has though.

MaxRS6
September 21st, 2011, 23:41
I have the Kooks and don't have issues with vibrations- mostly because it was on a shop lift most of 2011..;0 Seriously though- the few hundred miles I've rolled on them this year. I haven't had issues with any vibrations after new rotors, new wheel bearings, and brake pads.

kilian tuning
September 22nd, 2011, 11:25
so if its the cv joint, is it a diy job or a expensive one at the audi stealer....?
is it noticable from the outside? can you feel some play in it? is it a mot point they look at when its time for the mot?
mine has to go tomorrow for a new mot...maybe they can check it when he is on the bridge...(unless it is a motpoint, then i wont attend them about the cv joints ofcourse...:))

JSRS6
September 22nd, 2011, 17:21
Definitely a DIY...kits go for about 100, reman axles as low as 140. Reman axle is usually the easier option, since you don't have to mess with grease.

Elevens
September 22nd, 2011, 17:39
so if its the cv joint, is it a diy job or a expensive one at the audi stealer....?
is it noticable from the outside? can you feel some play in it? is it a mot point they look at when its time for the mot?
mine has to go tomorrow for a new mot...maybe they can check it when he is on the bridge...(unless it is a motpoint, then i wont attend them about the cv joints ofcourse...:))

As JSRS6 mentioned Its a relatively easy job. The hardest part would be removing the Axle from the wheel hub. Sometimes it requires removing the Upper two arm links. Over here we have Company call Raxles. They supply perfectly rebuilt Axes with OEM CV Joints at a reasonable price. Over by you, I don't know. If your a little bit Mechanically inclined you can definitely do the job yourself.....

LIRS6
September 22nd, 2011, 19:06
Pat had the same issues with the Hankooks. According to him, it went away after several miles.

Doesn't sound like the problems LIRS6 has though.

Well I do have Hankooks, but the way the issue comes/goes during driving suggests to me that it is something else.

Thanks for all of the input thus far.

I'll look into the bearings and go from there.

Jason

Gustaf
March 22nd, 2012, 02:20
Sorry for digging up an old one but I have been battling vibrations for a while now and can't seem to get rid of them.

So far I have replaced all control arms with Meyle HD, both front axles with units from Raxles, and one wheel bearing. The control arms made the biggest improvement and the axles have smoothed things out too but I still get vibrations between 60 and about 78. I have rotated the tires(as regular maintenance)and nothing changed.

Any ideas?

Brav
March 22nd, 2012, 16:22
Drive shaft. My next target.

Beastly
March 22nd, 2012, 17:29
I am dealing with the exact same right now. On control arms - what are the best practices to determine they are bad, are there any visual cues. Of course I have tried to move/shake them

kismetcapitan
March 22nd, 2012, 19:15
my vibration issues were solved by changing two tires and a meticulous alignment. Thankfully I didn't have to go further than that, but man, that 70mph vibration was absolutely maddening.

Hankooks do flatspot, but a lot of high-performance tires will do that in the cold. Once the tire warms up all is well.

SzymekCRX
March 23rd, 2012, 07:23
Do this :

http://www.rs6.com/showthread.php/23640-Wobble-on-accel?p=225788&viewfull=1#post225788

Gustaf
April 4th, 2012, 22:46
How about tie rod ends? Are they known to go bad and cause a vibration? Mine look ok.

Trying to chase this vibration down really hampers the enjoyment of the beast.

What about dynamic wheel balancing. A buddy of mine used to have a wheel balancer that you would roll up to the car when it was on the lift. It would spin the wheel fast and there was a strobe light that would flash at the spot that was heavy. Kind of like a timing light. I think that if you could spin each wheel maybe you could at least narrow down a corner to focus in on.

lswing
April 30th, 2012, 07:09
Vibration at 65-80, just had the car put back together, new wheels, also hit a nasty pothole last week, taking the wheels in for a check...