PDA

View Full Version : Royal treatment by Audi at Frankfurt Auto Show today

bobski
September 18th, 2011, 19:33
I guess the combination of being a US Diplomat and having an RS6 parked out front rated a few brownie points at the Frankfurt Auto show today. While thousands of people stood in line just to get into the Audi pavilion (yes, they had their own building), I was able to enter directly and was shown the new S7 by one of the engineers. He described the on-demand engine, etc., and assured me that an RS version would be out at some point in the future. Gorgeous car with a huge trunk.

Then I met one of the lead sales trainers and I could not help but praise the exhibit, the RS5, the TTRS, the R8 GT and so much more. I also could not help but complain about the lousy Audi service I have gotten at the Frankfurt dealership where I have had several problems (battery, alternator, etc.) take multiple trips to fix.

Perhaps to make up for that I got to go for a ride in the one R8 GT limited edition that they have, anywhere. They actually built a test track into the building that is part roller coaster and part exhibit. When the professional driver hit the gas, the sound, power, crowds, flash bulbs and voices merged into an adrenaline high note. What a car. Amazing detail, new high end carbon features, amazing matte blue paint job, the best seats and, oh that sound as the 600 horses or so pony up to the bar.

I know now how movie stars feel as part of the test drive was very slow so that dozens of people could see the car, the driver and me with flashes going off like fire works. After that amazing ride, they dropped me in the Audi lounge for a nice lunch with a view through a panorama of glass of the entire exhibit floor. After lunch I made a point of inspecting the RS3 and was very impressed at the fit and finish.

The funny thing is, that was my first and last experience of the day at the auto show. How could anything else top that and competing with 500,000 other people to get a glimpse of a non-Audi just did not seem worth it.

The rest of the fantasy is that they call me and I get to bring my RS6 to the best RS6 mechanic in Germany who just happens to have all sorts of mods he can do because they have no need for the technology any more and might as well put it on one of the few US spec RS6's they have seen. I'll let you know how that fantasy goes.

MaxRS6
September 18th, 2011, 20:50
Wow!!! What a great adventure and thanks for sharing. I've turned a very deep shade of green envy...00

DonS
September 19th, 2011, 02:30
Did you take any photos along the way? We'd love to see a couple.

bobski
September 19th, 2011, 06:05
I forgot my camera, but they took a picture of me in the car right before he floored it. I will try to figure out how to upload the picture. I have tried on this forum before and failed. Suggestions or a link that explains how? I will scan it today and see if I can upload it this evening.

Erik
September 19th, 2011, 07:46
Just email me the picture. I'll make it work, and you keep working on diplomacy :D

mmaturo
September 20th, 2011, 05:47
Awesome!! Hoping to have fun on Audi at a much lessor level in Chicago in two weeks as they are letting select people out with R8s in Chicago for an hour each over the weekend. Haven't driven one though I hope to order one soon. Jealous of the GT...just want to see one.

bobski
September 20th, 2011, 21:24
I hope to get the picture of me in the GT uploaded this week. My scanner is out.

RSSIK
September 20th, 2011, 21:29
thats great. Id love to see the peoples faces when you walked right up. Is the GT comfy? seats looks so..

bobski
September 22nd, 2011, 19:36
The best seats I have ever been in and the best looking carbon I have ever seen. What can I say? I would buy one...if I could. Hopefully Erik will upload the picture of the car I just sent him.

Erik
September 22nd, 2011, 20:01
I got it, uploading tomorrow.

Erik
September 23rd, 2011, 07:05
He we go... :hey:

vitalian
September 24th, 2011, 01:26
Ooooooo, me likee!!!