PDA

View Full Version : Chip Help

sturs6
October 8th, 2003, 12:34
I talked with my service manager yesterday and asked him about chipping my car. He told me it would not be possible until I had 50,001 miles on it or it would void the warranty. Is there a way around this? Sorry if it has been discussed all ready!!

AvusRS6
October 8th, 2003, 16:08
Originally posted by sturs6
I talked with my service manager yesterday and asked him about chipping my car. He told me it would not be possible until I had 50,001 miles on it or it would void the warranty. Is there a way around this? Sorry if it has been discussed all ready!!

Gosh your dealer sux...

My tech told me yesterday that there is no way of knowing a car is chipped unless they drive it. Not like they can plug the car into the computer and it reads "CHIPPED" or anything.

bilbozilla
October 8th, 2003, 16:35
I had an S4 with a chip and every time I brought it in for servicing, I swapped the ECU containing the MTM chip with the original. The service department was none the wiser. The ECU provides all kinds of information and fault codes with date and time information that the service dept. downloads to diagnose ailments when it gets plugged in. To play it safe, I would have a back-up ECU to swap when it goes in for service.

Bauer
October 8th, 2003, 17:44
Just so you know the chip dosen't void the warranty as I was told by a factory tech rep that I have developed a relationship with. He said that nothing really voids the warranty(that maybe only in CA as we have pretty strong consumer laws) but it would have to be taken into consideration when things break.

So if you blow two transmissions then probably a problem. If the widow motor breaks....that obviously was not caused by the chip. unless of course you have a chipped the window motor:D .

I have also become good friends with the parts mananger at the local dealer and his comment to me was that some of the mechanics don't care about chipping the car and will over look it. He is going to introduce me to the ones that don't care and I plan I developing good relationships with them. You know, thank you card after the work is done with a gift certificate to a local eatery;) . I was also told that you can ask for specific mechanics to only work on your car.

But if you want to play it really safe do what bilbozilla suggests and get a second ECU. Then there is NO way they will know.

Sorry for the long winded response:cheers:

bilbozilla
October 8th, 2003, 18:21
Bauer - The gift certificate is a nice touch. Didn't think about that one. I too developed a good relationship with the service guy, but I didn't spring for their dinner tab.

Bauer
October 8th, 2003, 18:22
Update for ya.

I spoke with another dealer in my area who I have sopen with before. There comment to me was that the chip will void the warranty per Audi??? This is soooo confusing. I continued to talk with him and he gave me the old dealer building relationship story(unofficially;) ) and has worked with clients in the past. So it would seem it all comes down to the relationship you build with the dealer and/or back up ECU (not cheap):cheers:

Bauer
October 8th, 2003, 18:23
Nothing like food and drink in the belly to help someone see your point of view.:D :D :cheers:

JAXRS6
October 8th, 2003, 18:36
It worked fine on my 2000 S4, but the RS6 is another beast.

Have any of you who recommend this even found the ECU? I didn't -- couldn't without help, and I'm not about to ask the dealer. However, one chip provider began to describe to me what's involved in removing an RS6 ECU, and although he described it as easy, it sounded less so to me.

For one thing, plastic securuity bolts designed to thwart such tampering must be cut (destroyed). Later a "dremmel" supposedly is used -- some special tool I've never heard of and can't find in my dictionary. Then ship to chip folks, they install chip & ship back with new security bolts.

Personally I am considering only a professional installation, since that's what I've always done & I've had no problems over 45,000+ miles of driving two chipped Audis. Why cut corners now that I have a much more expensive car to protect? (Yes, I do view professional installation as a form of protection, because if something goes wrong they can't point fingers at me. If I can't get that done, I probably won't chip.)

As for why I won't bring this up with my dealer: the service writer once asked if my S4 was chipped; I was honest and said yes. Sure enough, when my CEL (check engine light) went off, the dealer wanted to blame the chip. I got around that only because Mr. Piggie, as he's know at Audiworld, lived near the dealership -- so I stopped by. He got a VAG COM readout which I took to the dealer. It showed problems elsewhere & I ended up with a new MAF (about $300) under warranty...and no more CEL problems.

HOWEVER -- Mr. Piggie now lives in another state, and I have a much more valuable car to protect. Given my dealer's attitude, I don't want him to even suspect a chip -- so I can't bring it up.

If you don't know your dealer's attitude towards chips, be very careful what you ask.

At one time I could post a copy of AoA's memo on chips & warranty, but my computer died so files are gone -- and now my digital camera has crapped out! Maybe later...or if someone out there has the time to look, it may be on an AW post from months ago.

sturs6
October 8th, 2003, 18:40
Thanks for all of the input... I am taking my car in on the 28 of october for a OnStar related problem(light is red and boy does it mach everything else now) sorry another thread... But I am going to try to begin a relationship with the guy and see what comes of it. he asked if he could drive it so I might say under one condition...:) What about the chips that have the different settings such as valet and the like do they have a stock setting? I was told they do by an M3 driving friend.
Thanks Again folks for all your help.

Bauer
October 8th, 2003, 18:52
From what I understand the chip's that have different modes does NOT erase the performance history of the engine and the Tech can still see that the car had be performing outside of specified range. Therefor giving them the idea that the car may be modified. This is just what I was told do what you will with it.

JAXRS6
October 8th, 2003, 18:53
Nice to have, and it worked fine on my A4 & S4. Most other chip mfrs. don't offer that feature, tho some may; I'm not sure.

The good news about APR this time around is that their software will be truly invisible -- installed without a chip! At least that's their goal. Last time I spoke to them, their distributors could install the ECU part -- and I like that.

The part of the programming for the tranny, tho, would have to be done at APR in Alabama, so shipment of a part is still involved -- meaning a little downtime.

The part that bothers me about APR is that they said their Tiptronic programming, which is included as part of their package, will increase the speed (rpm) of shift points. Others have warned that could lead to premature wear.

Chipping is a big deal, with possible big risks. Don't rush into it.

AvusRS6
October 8th, 2003, 19:24
Getting a ECU for a RS6 is next to impossible. AoA wants the old ECU back before they send the new one out.

APR's Chip would be cool if they EVER release it...they're being so hush hush about it...what's the big f@@@@@@ deal? I mean we all know every chip is doing 500HP, etc.

JAXRS6
October 9th, 2003, 04:06
Originally posted by AvusRS6

APR's Chip would be cool if they EVER release it...they're being so hush hush about it...what's the big f@@@@@@ deal? I mean we all know every chip is doing 500HP, etc.

The big deal is they are trying to make it literally invisible. It's not really a "chip" per se, just programming fed to the ECU from plugging into the VAG COM port under the driver's dash. This has never been done before, is very high tech, and will be harder to detect because there is no aftermarket chip per se.

At least that's my understanding. Each one of us has to decide whether it's worth waiting for. Personally, as I've posted before, my problem with APR's approach is the increase in shifting speeds that's part of the package & might lead to faster tranny wear.

peterb
October 9th, 2003, 10:09
Originally posted by JAXRS6
It's not really a "chip" per se, just programming fed to the ECU from plugging into the VAG COM port under the driver's dash. This has never been done before
A company called RevoTechnik have been offering this method of tuning in the UK for some months. Unfortunately, their RS6 program isn't available yet. :(

Nordschleife
October 9th, 2003, 12:53
Has it occurred to any of you that what you are talking about is cheating.
If you chip your car, tell the dealer, otherwise you are swimming in the same pool as a lot of other people who thought it was smart to do something 'clever' and are now regretting it.

iconcls
October 9th, 2003, 13:42
Originally posted by Nordschleife
Has it occurred to any of you that what you are talking about is cheating.

I agree with you but, there are times when the swapping spare ECU route may be necessary. I have owned a tuned car and had one viable choice of dealer for service. Now, I was upfront with this dealer about my after-market tuning and then this dealership tried to pin everything that went wrong with my car on the chip. I once had to go 9 rounds with this place because one of mechanical fittings on a wiring harness failed. If I had a problem with the freakin' ashtray, I knew I was going to have a battle on my hands. So in hindsight, for this particular dealership, I should have not disclosed my tuning. That being said, if I had a major problem with the drivetrain, then I would have fessed up to my chip, because there is a large probability that chip played a role.

But the ideal route is definitely developing a "relationship" with your service department; hence, I bring Krispy Kremes with me.:)

sturs6
October 9th, 2003, 14:44
iconcls,
Good Idea the Krispy Kreme is half a mile from my dealer and on my way there. I will have to look for "the light" so I know the best time to get the goods.:hihi:

nene
October 9th, 2003, 14:58
Hey sturs6,

My OnStar light is also red, as I just noticed it recently. Somehow I just realized that it was gone, and I agree with you that matches everything inside.

Called OnStar and they told me to take it to the dealership. At least the OnStar button still works.

Let me know what they find. I was thinking of taking the car in for that issue once I get the satellite radio module in per my order.

iconcls
October 9th, 2003, 15:23
Originally posted by nene
Hey sturs6,

My OnStar light is also red, as I just noticed it recently. Somehow I just realized that it was gone, and I agree with you that matches everything inside.

Same here, I was told it was the OnStar "backup battery." The part came in yesterday and I'm actually leaving now to get it swapped out. I'll post the outcome.