PDA

View Full Version : discovered two electrical gremlins :(

kismetcapitan
September 13th, 2011, 07:19
1) interior lights don't come on when I open the driver's side door. They come on when any other doors are open...bad switch?

2) right rearview mirror rotates downwards when I shift into reverse, but only when the knob is selected for that mirror (unless it's supposed to be that way?). When I shift into Drive, it adjusts back upwards, but nowhere close to where it was originally.

I'm hoping Audi has come a long way since the 80s...my old 5000CS TQ had the first digital automatic climate control I'd ever seen on a car. By the end of the car's life, I called that thing "HAL" because it would randomly decide what temperature it would deliver....suddenly shutting off the heat and switching to "LO" A/C in the winter, yes I'd say it was trying to kill me!!

MaxRS6
September 13th, 2011, 11:56
12) right rearview mirror rotates downwards when I shift into reverse, but only when the knob is selected for that mirror (unless it's supposed to be that way?). When I shift into Drive, it adjusts back upwards, but nowhere close to where it was originally.

^ This is correct behavior to "assist" with backing up and seeing the "ground/curb" area. However; it should return back to its' normal position when put back into drive. If you don't want it to move, move the knob to a different position.

ThrillHouse
September 13th, 2011, 12:47
^ This is correct behavior to "assist" with backing up and seeing the "ground/curb" area. However; it should return back to its' normal position when put back into drive. If you don't want it to move, move the knob to a different position.

Mine does this too. I loved this simple feature on my '06 A4 (tech package) but it doesn't return all the way so in order to retain longevity of the motor I just leave it normal. I will turn it back (6 o'clock position) to fold the mirrors in when I park though.

JSRS6
September 13th, 2011, 19:35
Agreed with the side mirror. I noticed it would do it sometimes back when I first got her, then after a while realized it was a feature with the switch position. Mine goes back to original position. Yours should too.
The issue with the lights is your door switch, easy fix.

JSRS6
September 13th, 2011, 20:09
Hopefully someone else can chime in here, but as far as i know, the switch is built into the door lock. Part number is 4b1837015h. Price is 192.70 on genuine.

kismetcapitan
September 13th, 2011, 20:19
Hopefully someone else can chime in here, but as far as i know, the switch is built into the door lock. Part number is 4b1837015h. Price is 192.70 on genuine.

no wonder I couldn't find the damned thing...

Brav
September 13th, 2011, 21:48
Put the mirror selector in the middle, and it won't do that.

JSRS6
September 13th, 2011, 22:06
^^^yup...

kismetcapitan
September 26th, 2011, 08:37
freaking dealer quoted me $650 for parts and labor for the drivers side door switch. Screw that. I've taked apart the doors of every car I've ever owned (usually for stereo installations), I can do this one too. Just need the part.

$650. wtf???