PDA

View Full Version : The good, the bad, and the ugly...or... The hits keep on comin...

JSRS6
September 11th, 2011, 21:13
So last week i noticed a strange noise coming from my passenger side upper strut area. My first thought was that the nut had come loose on the upper strut. Well, it didn't just come loose, it sheared the threads clean off.
So the strut is on its way to bilstein hq in cali. I just ordered new upper strut mounts, upper spring seats, inner upper control arm bushings, and a new passenger side outer tie rod.
Should have taken a closer look at the driver side.

The good: The grease from the outer cv axle is very fresh, so all i need is a new boot.
The bad: That it happened at all.
The ugly: That s#!t went EVERYWHERE!

New outer boot on order.

speedtrapped
September 11th, 2011, 21:49
Josh, are they going to warranty hopefully, bilstein?

JSRS6
September 11th, 2011, 21:56
I won't know for sure till they get it and look at it tomorrow, but it looks like it. Busy week, new upper inner control arm bushings(both sides), new outer cv boot(DS), new outer tie rod(PS), upper strut mounts and spring seats. I think the old spring seats was where i was getting the height discrepancy when trying to set the front coil overs. I would set the spring perches on the coil overs the same height, and one side would be higher than the other. Should have changed them a year ago...such is life.

JSRS6
September 11th, 2011, 21:58
Strut arrives UPS tomorrow at hq.

JSRS6
September 11th, 2011, 21:59
I will likely have to pay $50 to rush it or i won't get it till middle to end of the week after next. Taking the down time to clean the shit out of her. Not literally...lol.

MaxRS6
September 11th, 2011, 22:22
Good luck w/ a speedy recovery process- Good thing you don't have to ship them things to the Audi moderland...

JSRS6
September 12th, 2011, 01:34
Thanks for the silver lining, Randy. I will update tomorrow.

JSRS6
September 13th, 2011, 22:13
Well, warranty won't cover it. R&R upper shock tube: $180-220. I'm guessing this includes a rebuild. Rush is $50 and shipping is $50. Upper strut mounts and hd outer tie rod arrived from O34 ms today.

JSRS6
September 15th, 2011, 19:59
Randy, speaking silver linings, they completed the shock today and didn't charge me for the rush job. Cost was 222 plus 70 something for shipping 2 day with sat delivery. Went out today, will go back into the beast Saturday after work. :mech::thumb::incar::hey:

JSRS6
September 18th, 2011, 21:01
Had to delay on account of the weather. Just finished and cleaned up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcXVUi35Y4Q&sns=em

JSRS6
September 18th, 2011, 21:06
Pressed in new UCA inner bushings into the $75 set I got awhile back off fcp. Ordered the bushings from advance, came in and they were meyle HD bushings, for only 8ish apiece. I can feel a difference in steering response. Also took the downtime to install new upper strut mounts and spring seats. Damping feels soooo much better now. And of course the outer cv boot on the driver side. Car rides like new again! :thumb: