PDA

View Full Version : Smell of burnt...i dont know...

kilian tuning
September 9th, 2011, 19:46
I took my son (14) for a (spirited) drive an hour ago (first time a saw a Merc SLR!!! which was driving behind my on a road where you cant overtake...what a wide car that is...incredible *and a looooooooong bonnet...it was a belgium one...)and after parking the car in my garage, there was a smell of burnt something...i dont know, it wasnt coming from the engine area. The rear breaks made an incredible tikking noise, so i think they were incredibly hot. dont know if thats normal from only the rear ones. or is it possible they dont get brakefluid so the smell comes from the brake pads/discs? Dont know if they smells after malfunction of the brake fluid supply.
It doesnt really smell like burnt Oil.

Other option maybe a leaking gearbox which leaks fluid on the Exhaust. Dont know if that smells different then engine Oil

Update:
Just touched all my wheels to see if they are all the same temp...the right rear one was definately much hotter then the rest...i smelled close to that wheel and the smell comes definately from that wheel area...

kismetcapitan
September 9th, 2011, 19:57
overheated brake fluid? Or DRC fluid?

I've raced several SLRs in Korea; they are very quick, but I'd never pay that kind of money for one, especially as even the 722 SLR couldn't overtake my Skyline. The interior is *extremely* claustrophobic, and they silenced the exhaust far too much.

JSRS6
September 9th, 2011, 20:08
Any shuddering from the rear during that hard braking? The only time the rim itself has ever gotten warm like that was a overheated, worn out when bearing that was transferring heat through the hub.

kilian tuning
September 9th, 2011, 20:11
no, no shuddering from the rear during hard braking, could it be a sticky caliper...

54m
September 9th, 2011, 20:41
As you've stated it could possibly be a sticking caliper causing the burning smell which occured since you have only found the one wheel to be hot.
Pop the wheel off and inspect the calipers tomorrow! :)

ben916
September 10th, 2011, 03:29
. The rear breaks made an incredible tikking noise, so i think they were incredibly hot.

All four should be making the tinking noise, not just the rears... assuming OEM rotors

MaxRS6
September 10th, 2011, 03:44
...The rear breaks made an incredible tikking noise, so i think they were incredibly hot. ...from that wheel area...

Did the rear have a crack and break?? or are we discussing car brakes??? :lovl::lovl::lovl:

DHall1
September 10th, 2011, 03:47
I'm sure our German would be much worse.

kilian tuning
September 10th, 2011, 08:26
Sorry for that, but i think you understand what i mean...:)

bmlee007
September 10th, 2011, 09:18
I'm not near mine right now, but isn't the e-brake attached at the right rear? Could be that it's not completely released, just my un-educated guess at the moment.

kilian tuning
September 10th, 2011, 09:59
i can only check it when my wheels are of the ground, i think. or is that visible somewhere....

kilian tuning
September 10th, 2011, 11:17
i think my rear disc is already gone...

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/mavada1/DSC07035.jpg
http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee469/mavada1/DSC07034.jpg

ben916
September 10th, 2011, 18:16
gotta measure but it doesn't look good...

check the piston to make sure it is retracting...
also the brake fluid might be burnt..

MaxRS6
September 11th, 2011, 22:25
Sorry for that, but i think you understand what i mean...:)

I'm sure our German would be much worse.

Dang guys- You are taking my wisecracking way too seriously. Nothin personal meant- I have no room to speak living here in hillbilly country where having one tooth is an extra bonus..;0

Brav
September 12th, 2011, 01:00
The few times I have tried to bed and re-bed my Red Stuff pads, I received the faint smell of brake fluid. Not exactly sure why, but it happens. But I am also combating vibration issues, and occasional brake shudder (which seems to get WORSE when I try to re-bed them!).

If you were on the gas a lot, but not so much hard on the brakes (to the point of ABS nearly kicking in) it probably is not your brakes, unless you have another problem as mentioned..

kismetcapitan
September 12th, 2011, 01:51
actually, it could very well BE the brakes, even if you weren't on them very hard. One thing I'm not that big a fan of is the "limited slip differential" on our cars - it's mechanically a free diff, and the system will engage brakes on individual wheels to create a "limited slip" effect. If that was coming on a lot, it could have overheated.

JSRS6
September 12th, 2011, 01:58
I think you mean the anti-slip regulation, or ASR.

kilian tuning
September 12th, 2011, 07:17
But its only the right rear wheel...