PDA

View Full Version : odd sounds I'm not used to...

kismetcapitan
September 8th, 2011, 02:53
1) sometimes when I start up the car from cold, I hear some water trickling around somewhere on the driver's side. I'm imagining it might be A/C condensation, but really haven't a clue.

2) after driving for awhile, after stopping and shutting off the car, the car "creaks", like it's settling on its foundation. Is this normal?

I do realize most cars have unique sounds to them that indicate normal running. My Skyline has so many that several passengers thought the car was on the verge of blowing up!

na1mt
September 8th, 2011, 02:59
The "creaks" are from your exhaust cooling down

Aronis
September 8th, 2011, 03:00
My car has had that strange settling sound after shutting down...I noticed it when I first got the car 8 years ago! It's in the rear of the car, never knew exactly what it is, sounds like something is decompressing slowly, groaning noice.... gas tank noise? pressure releasing fuel pump? I just have ignored it! LOL...

Mike

vitalian
September 8th, 2011, 16:08
I would agree that the "creaks" are definitely due to cooling. Many parts of the car get very hot (yes, I know, thank you Captain Obvious), and as they cool they make "settling" noises. This is completely normal, IMO.

As far as the water sound, that doesn't ring any bells. I would probably try to investigate that one.

RSSIK
September 8th, 2011, 16:32
Mine "creaks" too but it seems like it more of a suspension thing, more of a light pinging. Im not sure but will pay a little more attention to it next time I shut it off. I ended up driving my other car or id be out there now. lol

ben916
September 8th, 2011, 17:15
The two piece rotors ping and pong for quite a while after shutting down.

I notice the turbos still spinning right after shutdown...
There is also some other pump that stays on for 2-3 seconds and is doing something.

As long as there is no smoke, no leaks, no fire and she starts up when I want her to and the go pedal and stop pedal work - all the other stuff is bonus!

ben916
September 8th, 2011, 17:16
also, as the great AUDI5000CSQT once wrote "there's a stereo in these things?"

lswing
September 8th, 2011, 17:24
I get the water moving sound every morning. Put in reverse, pull out driveway and turn the wheel, water trickling/rushing sound on drivers side for a few seconds. That's it, figured it was coolant or ?

JSRS6
September 8th, 2011, 20:15
I used to hear that when my drc was going...