PDA

View Full Version : Ross-tech connection error

lswing
September 5th, 2011, 23:26
Any of you deal with the "controller not available error" using the cable to a laptop? They mentioned it could be a bad ground. I've been trying to set the parameters for logging and that is where it always throws the error. I can use all other functions without getting the error. The error also throws if I select more than the set 12 allowed, or a parameter that is greyed out. Wth? Calling Ross tomorrow...

kevin
September 6th, 2011, 02:57
Lately I've been having USB connection errors. I've narrowed them down to the USB ports on my laptop. Either the cable is wearing out or the ports on the mb. I have to fiddle with the connection at the mb to make it work.

lswing
September 6th, 2011, 17:59
Spoke with RT for a while this morning, very helpful and informative. Basically they said I cannot use the advanced measuring blocks section, the same data can be logged from the standard area. I'll post later to confirm. Got some good info on the blocks to monitor, ie fuel trim...

lswing
September 7th, 2011, 04:19
Never mind, same damn error. Anybody running the new version of their software? Might be a bug, dunno, certainly a pain...

hahnmgh63
September 7th, 2011, 05:55
Don't they have an archive section to use an older version? Did you download the Beta 11.8.0 or 10.6.4? I am using 10.6.4 which has been out for 5 months and I'm not having any problems. Did you get your cable new through Ross-Tech or is it used? It is a Genuine Ross-Tech cable right? Which cable is it? I'm using the Hex-USB+CAN.

lswing
September 7th, 2011, 15:58
Using the new software 10.6.4, K2 usb cable, not the +CAN, they said it would be fine, new from RT. Calling them again...

lswing
September 7th, 2011, 16:52
Confirmed that K2 cable is fine. Trying a different laptop and with AC power. Also running the debug logging program. Will try and log trans data also to see if it's just the ecu dropping the connection.

lswing
September 7th, 2011, 16:54
Lately I've been having USB connection errors. I've narrowed them down to the USB ports on my laptop. Either the cable is wearing out or the ports on the mb. I have to fiddle with the connection at the mb to make it work.

Out of interest, does your revo tune cause the ecu to pull timing during full boost? My whole reason for logging is trying to find out where and why then engine has a few hiccups when my foot is deep in the throttle and boost is full.

4everRS
September 7th, 2011, 19:01
lswing, what are you using for fuel? If you've verified through vagcom that your timing is getting pulled, it is likely due to fuel.

For example, when I use 92 (10% ethanol), and have it set on the 100 apr setting, i will see almost no timing - mostly single digits, sometimes pulls slightly negative (like 1 to 3 degrees)

When I use 100 octane, I see timing in the low to mid 20's consistently.

lswing
September 7th, 2011, 19:05
lswing, what are you using for fuel? If you've verified through vagcom that your timing is getting pulled, it is likely due to fuel.

For example, when I use 92 (10% ethanol), and have it set on the 100 apr setting, i will see almost no timing - mostly single digits, sometimes pulls slightly negative (like 1 to 3 degrees)

When I use 100 octane, I see timing in the mid 20's consistently.

I have not been able to verify yet, will as soon as I can get the logging to work. Just feels like it now, could be a leak or the ecu doesn't like to run that much boost. My first fuel experiment should me tomorrow when my ACES4 shows up. Get 92 octane here so that should put me up to 100 or so, interesting to feel the results tomorrow!

4everRS
September 7th, 2011, 19:14
I would say to hold off on the ACES for now so you can determine what's really happening. That requires the vagcom to work properly, and I know that's the issue your trying to resolve. Then run a log on the ACES and check the difference.

lswing
September 7th, 2011, 19:19
Good point on waiting on the ACES. If I can't get the RT to connect after a few more days, I'll give it a go. Next step without diagnosis is to just drop the boost a bit, rather have it running clean.

Jimmy Joe
September 8th, 2011, 02:58
Hey people! Some advice here please: I know the VAG-COM is the best tool you can get to keep the beast runing properly, but, the thing is that I have no idea what the hell are you talkinī about when I see you referring to VAG tuning. Even though i'd like to buy the scanner and translate its codes to my indie, I donīt know if thatīs possible or even advisable. I know some basic theory on auto mechanics, but not hands.on experience. Iīm also not very sure that the stealerships know enough about RS 6īs here in Mexico City to do a good job. ŋWhatīs your advice?.

Tanks, friends.

lswing
October 8th, 2011, 00:33
Well, tried another laptop finally, same result, disconnect. It did last a few minutes longer though, so I grabbed a partial 3rd gear log, cuts out before the action hits. Seems like a big increase in timing as I accelerate. I've now figured that if I have a passenger, have them connect and start the log just before I hit the gas, should be able to grab some logs. Kinda a pain though having someone ride along at all times. I've attached my short log for the hell of it....more to come. BTW, running ACES4 now, think i went a touch above the suggested ratio on my last tank, got a bit rougher, it was also Shell gas instead of my usual Chevron, 92 for both.

lswing
October 8th, 2011, 00:37
Yes, that is a crappy picture of my logged data, working on a better one...

4everRS
October 8th, 2011, 00:42
There is no boost in that log. None. Need a good run to redline, where your turbos are doing something

lswing
October 8th, 2011, 00:46
I know it was basically pointless to post, amazed I actually got a log. Will work on it this weekend!